sudden loss of regen. or accel problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themotorman

After the latest software upgrade Aug 2013 on my 2011 Leaf I notice that once in a while it behaves as though the regn is off and the car coasts and almost feels like it is accelerating such that i have to brake much harder than usual. I also notice that although when fully charged it shows 10 bars it only reads about 85 miles..and the miles go down much quicker than the actual miles driven. Not sure what my real mileage would be now but the best I got when new was around 80 on the freeway at 60 mph.
My question is about the upgrade and if anyone else noticed changes like mine.

I have mentioned that my power consumption after last update is very strange. Yesterday I drove just 13 km in very slow stop-and-go traffic (it took almost 1 hour) and LOST 3 BARS(!) on that trip. Usually it takes only one at normal speeds. Climate control was off! outside temperature 16-20 C.

Also before update one bar was 10-12 km, now it is about 8, but if you pass to freeway and drive without stops it can rise to about 10 km in average.

So I'm thinking about that regen isn't working or at least power from regen isn't stored to battery. Waiting now info from carwings for yesterdays trip with how much was used and how much regenerated (it comes there with 2 days delay for some reason, now it is only for until 17.Sep). Also left car in garage turned on in drive mode after driving (didn't turned off after trip) to be sure there is no other consumption (only fog ligths and screens is on now) - it is now for about 4 hours in that stage and battery level doesn't drops. So it do this strange battery level losses only when driving at low speeds/ long period of time (climate is continuously off!)... seems like regen is lost ??

Will bring it to Nissan after get carwings report. 3 bars (about 5 kWh I guess) for 13km can't be really true. My avarage comsumption as shown on screen and carwings is 0,14 kWh/km, so it should take only 1,7 kWh that is exatly one bar. And it always was like this before the update.

BTW I just asked for ONLY brake update, but they didn't knew what is brake update and updated whole software :/ :twisted: Does anybody knows can old software be restored now?

Den said:
Also before update one bar was 10-12 km, now it is about 8, but if you pass to freeway and drive without stops it can rise to about 10 km in average.
Bars are too crude a measure to be of any use. If you want to find out if there is really a problem, you need to get either the LeafDD or Leaf Spy to measure how much energy is really being used. Do a search of the forum to read about these. Money well spent.

PS I wrote 95% of the manual for Leaf Spy, but have no other connection to the software or the developer (other than that I stand in awe of his efforts).

Stoaty said:
Bars are too crude a measure to be of any use. If you want to find out if there is really a problem, you need to get either the LeafDD or Leaf Spy to measure how much energy is really being used.

I don't have android phone, only Lumia (and iPad), and I guess there is no software for them ? :/ Anyway bars can can crude in a range of -/+ 1 bar, but not +2 bars in my opinion...

Here's an extremely crude test you can apply:

• Accelerate to some comfortable speed like 30MPH or so
  • Put car into Neutral and take foot off power pedal
  • Shift car back into a mode that ought to allow regen

Can you discern a difference in the no-pedal-pressure deceleration of the car between N and any other mode?

Den said:
I don't have android phone, only Lumia (and iPad), and I guess there is no software for them ? :/ Anyway bars can can crude in a range of -/+ 1 bar, but not +2 bars in my opinion...
You can buy a cheap android phone for $50 (doesn't have to have phone service to work). As long as you are talking about bars, you are just guessing. The LeafDD is about $80 plus shipping. I love mine, leave it connected all the time. Easy hardware solution.

Stoaty said:
Den said:
Bars are too crude a measure to be of any use. If you want to find out if there is really a problem, you need to get either the LeafDD or Leaf Spy to measure how much energy is really being used. Do a search of the forum to read about these. Money well spent.

PS I wrote 95% of the manual for Leaf Spy, but have no other connection to the software or the developer (other than that I stand in awe of his efforts).

I am amazed that you claim 5.6 m/kwhr...I have never got more than 4 from new!!

themotorman said:
After the latest software upgrade Aug 2013 on my 2011 Leaf I notice that once in a while it behaves as though the regn is off and the car coasts and almost feels like it is accelerating such that i have to brake much harder than usual. I also notice that although when fully charged it shows 10 bars it only reads about 85 miles..and the miles go down much quicker than the actual miles driven. Not sure what my real mileage would be now but the best I got when new was around 80 on the freeway at 60 mph.
Forget the GOM. I'm surprised you haven't learned that after being on here for over 2 years.

To quote from http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=271853#p271853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
big_headed_tiny_dog_chasing_tail_lg_nwm.gif

:D

What do you mean by "when fully charged it shows 10 bars"? Are you charging to full or 80%? Or, have you lost 2 capacity bars?

As for your first comment, do you understand the single and double circles in the dash? When your 1st symptom is happening, how many double circles are there for the regen portion? If it's only 1, regen will be very limited. (It's real noticeable on the '13 Leafs when in B mode.)

I haven't noticed a change in the regen. Then again some people have reported that regen behavior changes when they charge to 100% and then drive but I've never noticed that either. I have noticed that the brakes are somewhat less grabby.

If it bothers you take the car to the dealer, tell them what your issue is, and ask to drive a new Leaf. That way you can compare and see if your car is the "new normal" or not.

At 100%, you have no regen. There can't be any because there is no place to put the energy...

SanDust said:
I haven't noticed a change in the regen. Then again some people have reported that regen behavior changes when they charge to 100% and then drive but I've never noticed that either. I have noticed that the brakes are somewhat less grabby.

95% of LEAF drive issues are related to perception and lack of understanding of how the car behaves under different conditions. As an example I could not convince a very technical friend that when in ECO mode his pedal resistance was not stronger. He thought it changed but it was his mind messing with his foot position.

It is highly improbable that the regen is being lost and that the car is taking off on its own. So many people drive under high SOC or when the car restricts regen and think the car is:

1) losing regen (yes by design)
2) going faster than normal (perception)
3) Accelerating on its own (perception)

There are many combinations that can cause confusion but not likely the car randomly changing. I would like to see one single documented case of the car accelerating on its own. There will be many more threads like this with HAL taking over but it's really not HAL it's the driver.

TomT said:
At 100%, you have no regen. There can't be any because there is no place to put the energy..
I know that. It just doesn't feel any different to me. I don't drive in ECO, so maybe that's it, but the driving experience is the same whether I leave the house and drive down the hill with 12, 6, or 2 bars.

SanDust said:
... I don't drive in ECO, so maybe that's it, but the driving experience is the same whether I leave the house and drive down the hill with 12, 6, or 2 bars.
That would explain it. Try it in ECO some time, and I guarantee you'll notice the difference.

EVDRIVER said:
There will be many more threads like this with HAL taking over but it's really not HAL it's the driver.
Hardware Abstraction Layer?

"Open the pod bay doors, Hal."

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Back