Suggest Cities to See Relative Battery Aging Factor

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
September said:
I came to San Diego for some conference, and I must admit that heat is extreme... I cannot imagine summers here and then I would melt in Phoenix.

What day were you here?

I'm still here and in short moments I go outside I keep a watch on LEAFs (also for Coda and Tesla) and absorb ambient heat to take it home.

If anyone is interested, I will take a few more requests for cities to calculate Battery Aging Factor, which will then be part of the Battery Aging Model.

Stoaty said:
If anyone is interested, I will take a few more requests for cities to calculate Battery Aging Factor, which will then be part of the Battery Aging Model.
Elk Grove, CA. Close enough to Sacramento, but with a little micro-climate twist. And closer to me :)

surfingslovak said:
FalconFour said:
Don't the cells only get balanced when the pack is fully charged, to level everything off to 4.20 volts (or whereever it stops at)? If not, one cell might be triggering an early low-battery warning and reduced range if the cells aren't balanced...
Yes, it's been observed that balancing will help get maximum performance out of the pack. That said, I believe that your car would be a great control for us since it essentially sat on a dealer lot in Central Valley for a year and has very few miles on the odometer. It looks like your battery capacity is down about 8 to 10%, mostly due to calendar losses. Perhaps we can determine that more accurately. Thanks again for your willingness to help.

My car is very similar to FalconFour's car. It sat in a lot at Hertz in Dallas for 8 months before I bought it. So it's a year old now with 2700 miles on it. It may be another good control car for you to use for a hot area of the country.

Stoaty said:

I'd like to suggest Austin, TX (should be cooler there compared to Dallas?) and San Antonio, TX as two additional data points.

vrwl said:
I'd like to suggest Austin, TX (should be cooler there compared to Dallas?) and San Antonio, TX as two additional data points.
I'm not sure if you have looked at the Battery Aging Model, but San Antonio and Austin have been there from the beginning.

Stoaty said:
vrwl said:
I'm not sure if you have looked at the Battery Aging Model, but San Antonio and Austin have been there from the beginning.

That is so strange. I looked at the list immediately prior to posing the question and didn't see either of them on there.

I would be interested in seeing something from western New York state, perhaps Buffalo, Rochester, or Syracuse. I saw Toronto on the spreadsheet, but I hope the states' side would include the solar impact.

Thanks for putting the model together!
Chris

MrErickson said:
I would be interested in seeing something from western New York state, perhaps Buffalo, Rochester, or Syracuse. I saw Toronto on the spreadsheet, but I hope the states' side would include the solar impact.
Syracuse, NY is already on the spreadsheet. Just select it from the dropdown list for "City" on the "Prediction" tab.

Soviet said:
San Antonio, Texas.

2-bar loss here in 14 months.
Already in the model. Latest version of model (0.83) here (requires free OpenOffice):

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48149991/Leaf%20Battery%20Degradation%20Model%20Version%20083.ods" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Microsoft Excel version here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48149991/Leaf%20Battery%20Degradation%20Model%20Version%20083.xlsx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More info in this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stoaty said:
Microsoft Excel version here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48149991/Leaf%20Battery%20Degradation%20Model%20Version%20083.xlsx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, Stoaty!

While I'm still skeptical that calendar losses will level off as predicted in your model, I really like the prediction it makes for our LEAF: 70.67% capacity remaining at the end of 16 years (I added 5 more years to see up to 20 years)!

Thanks again! Here's hoping!

RegGuheert said:
While I'm still skeptical that calendar losses will level off as predicted in your model, I really like the prediction it makes for our LEAF: 70.67% capacity remaining at the end of 16 years (I added 5 more years to see up to 20 years)!
You must be driving only 5,000 miles a year. I am skeptical too, but it's fun to speculate, and the model almost exactly matches the chart TickTock created from memory after talking with the Nissan engineer. My predicted capacity loss is almost exactly matched by my Gidmeter reading--but I don't put much stock in Gids as an accurate reflection of remaining capacity. However, the Gidmeter is darn useful to know whether you are likely to make your destination. :D

Stoaty said:
You must be driving only 5,000 miles a year.
Yeah, I put in 7500 miles per year.
Stoaty said:
I am skeptical too, but it's fun to speculate, ...
It is. Again, thanks for putting this together. You have put a lot of thought and effort into this model and we all benefit from it. If the calendar losses follow the curves as provided by Nissan to TickTock, I will be one happy camper for the long term!

This is awesome guys. I can't thank you enough for the hard work on this.

I only hope it isn't too optimistic with the screwball Great Plains stupid hot and frickin cold weather patterns in the same week. I hit 4,5 and 6 TB on the same day last week. No, there are no quick chargers that's just what happens when the day starts at 75* in the garage and ends at 35* two hours later at the office.

Back