Tax credit for two single buyers of one Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downeykp

My wife and I (not legally married) of 31 years, bought a Leaf in May. We contacted our tax adviser to find out if getting married would realize the full $7500 tax credit. He said yes getting married would give us the full refund.
However, the "marriage penalty" would not benefit us. He said that if we split up the car and both filed for half of the car we would also qualify for the full credit. But he could not find any info from the IRS that stated that the car could be split with each person having 1/2 ownership. We know that it can be done with a house.
So my question, do any of you smart owners have any information to say that a Leaf can be owned and split for tax credit purposes.
Mahalo

My GUESS is that the first-listed owner might claim the full tax credit.

Or, the owner with the most taxes claims the full tax credit?

Or, the owner that actually paid (wrote the check to the dealer) could claim the tax credit.

It seems unlikely that a non-paying "owner" could claim the tax credit.

It seems unlikely that you both can claim a half-credit ... but maybe???

Thanks for the reply Gary. We wrote check with joint account. We are both on the title and registration.
I am hoping that IRS will post details of a situation like mine. I am hoping that I am not the only person that
is trying to do this. But maybe.

garygid said:
My GUESS is that the first-listed owner might claim the full tax credit.

Or, the owner with the most taxes claims the full tax credit?

Or, the owner that actually paid (wrote the check to the dealer) could claim the tax credit.

It seems unlikely that a non-paying "owner" could claim the tax credit.

It seems unlikely that you both can claim a half-credit ... but maybe???

Call or write the IRS and ask for a WRITTEN statement as to how you should handle this case.

Did you BOTH sign the check?

Is there any FORMAL paperwork at the time of purchase that specified the % of ownership for each/both of you?

Do either of you alone pay enough taxes to claim & get the full credit?

No unfortunately, we are both educators so we need the taxes that we both paid to be taken into account in order to get the full credit.

garygid said:
Call or write the IRS and ask for a WRITTEN statement as to how you should handle this case.

Did you BOTH sign the check?

Is there any FORMAL paperwork at the time of purchase that specified the % of ownership for each/both of you?

Do either of you alone pay enough taxes to claim & get the full credit?

Based on the more detailed instructions regarding the "first" time home owner's credit...

My GUESS is that you can split the credit.

Back