Temperature Bar data collection

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFfan said:
Another interesting observation today: The car sat in the garage for 6 hours today with the garage being 100-104F during those six hours. The highest TS was 93 and the other two around 92.4. I'm wondering what the '11-'12's highest TS would be at those ambient temps for six hours?
In order to make a determination, would have to know what pack temperatures were before the Leaf sat in the garage.

Stoaty said:
LEAFfan said:
Another interesting observation today: The car sat in the garage for 6 hours today with the garage being 100-104F during those six hours. The highest TS was 93 and the other two around 92.4. I'm wondering what the '11-'12's highest TS would be at those ambient temps for six hours?
In order to make a determination, would have to know what pack temperatures were before the Leaf sat in the garage.

When I pulled in late morning, the highest TS was 92F. The garage reached 100F around 1:30PM then was 104F at 7:30PM.

LEAFfan said:
Stoaty said:
LEAFfan said:
When I pulled in late morning, the highest TS was 92F. The garage reached 100F around 1:30PM then was 104F at 7:30PM.
Without doing calculations, that certainly sounds a lot slower equilibration to ambient than my Leaf. I wonder if Nissan added more insulation to smooth out the peaks. The way to test that would be to see if the rate of cooling when ambient temp is at least 10 degrees lower than the battery pack temp is equally slow.

It happened again: As soon as the highest TS reached 95.9F, I watched the TBs move from 6 to 7. This time it was the #1 sensor. The other two TSs (#4,#2) were about .4F lower.

Stoaty said:
LEAFfan said:
Without doing calculations, that certainly sounds a lot slower equilibration to ambient than my Leaf. I wonder if Nissan added more insulation to smooth out the peaks. The way to test that would be to see if the rate of cooling when ambient temp is at least 10 degrees lower than the battery pack temp is equally slow.
It seems more likely that LEAFfan's car is reading temperatures low for some reason. It seems highly unlikely that a battery pack stored and operated in 100F+ ambient temperatures would stay well below that temperature.

The coolest my pack has been is around 71-72F - a few degrees above my garage temperature with ambient temperatures in the 70-80F range. Driving the car with the pack around ambient quickly rises pack temps up a few degrees.

Some of the highest 5TB readings I've seen:
77.8 78.2 76.0 75.8

On the drive to work this morning I was watching the max temp creep up...
24.5, 24.6, 24.7, 24.8, 24.9...

Sure enough as soon as it hit 25 degrees the 6th bar popped on.
the exact temps at that time were
T1=25.0
T2=24.9
T3=24.4
T4=23.8

drees said:
Stoaty said:
LEAFfan said:
It seems more likely that LEAFfan's car is reading temperatures low for some reason. It seems highly unlikely that a battery pack stored and operated in 100F+ ambient temperatures would stay well below that temperature.

The coolest my pack has been is around 71-72F - a few degrees above my garage temperature with ambient temperatures in the 70-80F range. Driving the car with the pack around ambient quickly rises pack temps up a few degrees.

Some of the highest 5TB readings I've seen:
77.8 78.2 76.0 75.8

Yeah, it's starting to get exciting. Whatever Nissan did (the chem tweaking) to the 2013 pack seems to be working as far as keeping the temps lower. Maybe the 'vents' help keep it cooler when just sitting and your theory about having lower resistance is probably helping too. It will be even more exciting if these packs don't degrade as fast or as much as the '11-'12s. So no one with an '11-'12 has seen battery temps lower than ambient? Mine is always lower even in the hundred degree temps here. And our garage reaches 100 degrees around 1PM and stays there for at least 7 hours, but the pack still stays below garage temp. Right now, the garage is 102F and has been between 100 and 102 for four and a half hours with my highest TS at 92F.

I can't explain it, but take a look at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10653&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's very little variation in temperatures reported by the sensors. The P3227 could have had something to do with it ??

I delivered the LEAF with 6TBs showing. After the car wash and return to me it was 5TBs. That didn't last very long though ... half-way home (after less than 10 miles) I noticed it at 6TBs again.

GregH said:
On the drive to work this morning I was watching the max temp creep up...
24.5, 24.6, 24.7, 24.8, 24.9...

Sure enough as soon as it hit 25 degrees the 6th bar popped on.
the exact temps at that time were
T1=25.0
T2=24.9
T3=24.4
T4=23.8
Yesterday I noticed that the sixth bar had come on and the max temp was 24.9º. What was interesting was that this morning the temp was about 26º (six temp bars, of course) after charging and started falling as I drove (due to cool ambient temperatures). By the time I got to my destination the highest temp was 24.3º but the sixth bar was still on. That has me wondering whether the threshold for turning a temp bar on is the same as for turning it off?

Just saw the 6th temperature bar turn on today at maximum temperature of 79.5 degrees F. Didn't have the Leaf Battery App on (used LeafDD), so didn't have access to other temperatures. For me, it still seems to be the minimum battery temp getting over a certain threshold (around 77 degrees F.) that triggers the change from 5 to 6 TB.

Stoaty said:
Just saw the 6th temperature bar turn on today at maximum temperature of 79.5 degrees F. Didn't have the Leaf Battery App on (used LeafDD), so didn't have access to other temperatures. For me, it still seems to be the minimum battery temp getting over a certain threshold (around 77 degrees F.) that triggers the change from 5 to 6 TB.
Hit the button and you'll see all 4 temperatures (in Celsius) on the left. The graph next to the max temp on page 1 will also show all 4 temps relative to max... I think each pixel is 0.2C (or 0.36F)

Stoaty said:
For me, it still seems to be the minimum battery temp getting over a certain threshold (around 77 degrees F.) that triggers the change from 5 to 6 TB.
There seems to be some fuzz.

Yesterday evening I saw the highest temps I've recalled while still seeing 5 TBs:

77.8 78.9 76.6 78.0

This evening I got 6 TBs:

78.7 80.2 77.3 79.1

Drove a few miles and saw one sensor go below 77F so I stopped and turned the car off for a minute, but still had 6 TBs:

78.2 79.6 76.7 78.4

Got home and the pack has cooled off a tiny bit more. Let the car sit for 5 minutes while I take the trash bins in, start up the car and see 5 TBs. But by the time I grab a screenshot a few seconds later it has gone back up to 6 TBs:

78.2 79.3 76.6 77.3

So that last reading is going to be very close to the threshold between 5-6 TBs!

I'm posting here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10653&start=37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting comparison: see 2nd & 3rd entry (just under 2 hours apart) from 6/18 and today's (6/23) from about 90 minutes ago. For 6/18 I was simply hitting the override button to take the car (parked outside overnight) from 80% to 100%, but it dropped 1 temp. bar. Today's entry has a higher MIN, but a lower MAX temp. (Sorry I don't track the middle two temps.)

WetEV said:
Has anyone seen a change between 5 TB and 6 TB at any temperature much different (more than one degree) that 25 C /77 F?
Saw the exact same thing this morning.. As soon (within a second) as the max temp (T2 in this case) went from 24.9 to 25.0 the 6th TB lit up.

But I went from Min/Max = 75.8/80.9 with 6TBs in a matter of 109 minutes while charging from 80% to 100% and ending at Min/Max = 75.3/80.7 with 5TBs. (See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10653&start=37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). True, the 6th bar went *OFF* rather than on, but there may also be a SOC relationship.

Had my first (and I think earliest) 7TB day of the year today; it was 100+ degrees in Dallas.
From memory, all my page 2 temps were 39.x degrees C (my page 1 temp was about 105 degrees F).
Between the time I parked after lunch and the time I left work, I went from about 96->102 degrees F (I didn't expect to hit 7TB today). I'm running my garage fan tonight and may go out and check the (LeafDD) temp when it charges early in the morning. It's supposed to "cool off" in the 90's next week.

Stanton said:
Had my first (and I think earliest) 7TB day of the year today; it was 100+ degrees in Dallas.
From memory, all my page 2 temps were 39.x degrees C (my page 1 temp was about 105 degrees F).
Between the time I parked after lunch and the time I left work, I went from about 96->102 degrees F (I didn't expect to hit 7TB today). I'm running my garage fan tonight and may go out and check the (LeafDD) temp when it charges early in the morning. It's supposed to "cool off" in the 90's next week.
Interesting.. 105F is 40.5C so maybe 40C is the trigger to turn on TB 7(??)
This morning I turned on the car and the max was 25.0C and had 6 TBs.
Later I turned it on again and the max had cooled to 24.6C.. 5 TBs.

GregH said:

No: I'm pretty sure the 7TB trigger is something <100 degrees F; like just above 37 degrees C. I'm sure I'll narrow it down eventually.

Stanton said:
GregH said:

No: I'm pretty sure the 7TB trigger is something <100 degrees F; like just above 37 degrees C. I'm sure I'll narrow it down eventually.
As soon as you notice the 7th TB, hit the button to go to page 2 on LeafDD and the 4 temps at the time you pressed the button will be locked on the display until you leave page 2...

Back