Tesla Supercharger Connector

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woosie

I drove over to the Tesla showroom in Hawthorne (next to SpaceX) and checked out the supercharger station. I was hoping it was available to the Leaf...it is not. So I asked a Tesla rep whether there is an adapter I could use...no adapter either.

Regardless, the showroom is really cool, with a car show SUV just sitting there. All I can say is "Wow!"

Of course not. Tesla came up with their own proprietary standard and connector. They do include an adapter so Model S owners can charge at J1772 stations.

Some folks at Tesla Motors Club have been itching for an adapter they can charge at CHAdeMO stations, esp. in areas w/no Supercharger coverage, since L2 while on-the-go is too slow to them.

The Tesla Model S connector is actually pin compatible with J-1772, just not mechanically. The contacts are designed to pass 300AMPs @ 400VDC (120KW), which is what the upgraded SuperChargers will be delivering within 3 months (it's 90KW now, 225A @ 400VDC)

BTW, that's one of the reasons they designed ther own connector. The other one is believed to be so it would fit in the taillight assembly on the Model S, J-1772 was too large and didn't carry adequate current.

I suspect it would be possible to engineer a converter from Tesla to Chademo. However, there doesn't really seem to be that much point being that the superchargers are all out in the middle of nowhere in places the Leaf can't reach anyway.

Back