The 4 driving modes - when do you use each of them?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klayfish

I've learned a lot over my three months of ownership (very happy ownership I may add) of my LEAF. One thing I still haven't grasped well yet is what the ideal conditions are for each of the 4 possible driving modes. In my SL, I have the choice of:

D/Non-Eco
D/Eco
B/Non-Eco
B/Eco

Since I'm not a fan of Eco, I drive most of the time in D/Non-Eco. In the less than 3 miles of "city" type driving I do each day, I'll put it in B/Non-Eco.

Does anyone have ideas on the intended driving situations for each of the 4 modes?

My current habit:

D/Non-Eco - Normal driving
D/Eco - If I'm concerned about getting enough range
B/Non-Eco - Cruise control on hills, stop & start traffic jams.
B/Eco - Don't use it, but would in the combo of traffic jam and range concerns

D/Non-Eco - I use this for trips less than 10 miles... quick trip to the store.

D/Eco - I use this almost never ... I like the extra power D/non eco has. I may use it on a longer trip... but only from 100-80% because 'B' isnt really putting energy back into the battery in that SOC

B/Non-Eco - I use this MOST of the time. I like the power. I didnt like B mode at first... but really love it now... I have at least 5 traffic lights on my daily commute... I am addicted to 'coasting' to the light in B mode and into turns... if I never have to use the break pedal on a trip I am happy.

B/Eco - Longer range trips after SOC drops below 80%

D/Non-ECO: freeway driving with free flowing traffic and not concerned about range - Reason: I don't like the sluggishness of response on the accelerator in ECO, B mode causes unneeded off throttle braking and therefore inefficiency for this type of cruising.

D/ECO: strictly for freeway cruising in cruise control when range is an issue. Reason: I get to take advantage of ECO's greater efficiency while allowing cruise control to handle the accelerator so I don't have to put up with the pedal feel of ECO.

B/Non-ECO: Most driving, including city, suburban and freeway with stop-and-go. Reason: I like the feel of off throttle regen braking, and regen is more efficient than friction braking when I'll need to brake anyway. If I want to drive economically, I know how to drive efficiently without having to force myself to use ECO.

B/ECO: never. Reason: I hate the sluggish response of ECO and I see no reason to force myself to use it unless I'm in cruise control.

I've never used the B mode. I've only gotten the first range warning once, and generally range isn't a huge concern. I do use Eco with the heat (after warming that car up) and A/C, especially when using Cruise.

Back