The Most Obscure Leaf Facts - WAY Out There

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill

I'll go with my 1st observation. When in reverse, the speedometer tells you how fast you're going. Yet even in reverse, the readout is a positive number. Anyone else have bizarre Leaf observations ?

hill said:
I'll go with my 1st observation. When in reverse, the speedometer tells you how fast you're going. Yet even in reverse, the readout is a positive number. Anyone else have bizarre Leaf observations ?

So Hill, you travel at negative speeds when going backward?

Speed is scalar and should be positive. The odometer should also go up when in reverse. No driving backwards to take miles off...just ask Ferris.

hill said:
Difference between speed and velocity is ...

The spot where the gas tank goes on the Versa is a big, empty, unused spot (for a future spare tire on my car). It's covered by a molded plastic in roughly the shape of an aerodynamic gas tank.

Under the front bumper is a VIN. Not sure what purpose that serves.

evnow said:
hill said:
--------> vectors, vectors, vectors <--------

Maybe not so obscure, but I bet plenty of people didn't hear about this yet:

( from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Leaf )
..."LEAF" as a backronym for Leading, Environmentally friendly, Affordable, Family car...

evnow said:
hill said:

*cues up Speed and Velocity, by They Might Be Giants*

I've got speed (that's how fast I am moving)!
I've got velocity (that's my speed and direction)!

...with that out of the way, let's listen to their Electric Car song, too. :D

EVDRIVER said:
So Hill, you travel at negative speeds when going backward?
oh, you know what I mean :lol: ... a lot of other cars don't have any readout traveling backwards. At least that's my frequent experience
scharlj said:
I never checked, but isn't it true of all cars?
boy - it doesn't take much to get THIS bunch fixated on one thing. :D
Ok here's another one. I'll try and see if it doesn't stumble too many on the issue itself. The current Leaf add campaign of "Zero"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhSqI77aLHU

It seems the folks over on "allcarselectric dotcom" find a creepy similarity to the Robert Downey Jr Move, "Less than Zero". Not me. But I do remember watching the movie ... which turned out to mirror a good part of Downey's earlier live. Watch that movie and you will definately NOT be walking on sunshine ... a far cry from Nissan's current ad campaign.

TonyWilliams said:
The spot where the gas tank goes on the Versa is a big, empty, unused spot (for a future spare tire on my car). It's covered by a molded plastic in roughly the shape of an aerodynamic gas tank.

Thats where the extra battery goes in the Leaf 200, Leaf 150 will use the existing battery box. Anyone have a diagram or image that shows this space in relation to the rear suspension?

Back on track:
1) The RSS feed does text to speech (pretty creepy)
2) Your car has an ip address (one day it will become sentient and Sky Net will take control)

jcesare said:
Back on track:
1) The RSS feed does text to speech (pretty creepy)
2) Your car has an ip address (one day it will become sentient and Sky Net will take control)

It's the MAC address which is unique in any networked device. IP addresses can be changed.

Still won't save you from Skynet though. :D

I was playing Angry Birds on my iPhone and the sound started blasting out over the car speakers. I didn't know Bluetooth audio was on. Took me by surprise and I got strange looks from the passengers. :lol:

Obviously I wasn't driving at the time. :roll:

A fixed IP address, or just a cell-phone number that gets assigned a temporary "virtual" IP address when it calls, links up, and expects to get data back from the Internet?

The virtual IP might be translated back to a cell-phone "number" (or SIM number) at the phone company, I expect.

The prototypes had LED backup lights:
leaf-taillights-610.jpg

But in production they use bulbs:
leaf-backup.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
Under the front bumper is a VIN. Not sure what purpose that serves.
VINs appear in multiple places on cars. When a car is stolen or damaged, the car can often be identified this way even when the VIN showing though the windshield is removed, damaged, or altered.

The VIN on the bumper could also be used for the manufacturing / supply chain / inventory control processes to ensure parts are tracked and assembled into the correct vehicle.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3826&p=91472#p91472

sdbonez noticed this. Let the front driver's and front passenger's windows drag race from down to up. Driver's side always wins. I tried it my self. THAT's obscure . . . and a mighty nice find.
:D

When I park a V6 in my garage, the heat saturation from the warm engine would fill the garage and spike the temperature.
The garage would stay hot all evening.

When I park the LEAF, it's still 'cool'. Even the smell is notably different. The garage used to smell like hot steel, motor oil, and unburnt fuel.
Gradually, it's smelling like steel, brakes, and maybe new-computer smell.

Back