The new Nissan Leaf 2013 standard charger question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taztaz

Hello and greetings from Sweden! :)

First of all, I hope my English is enough to make my point understood... :)

A friend of mine owns 2 Nissan Leaf cars, A 2011 and a 2013 model. He has modified the standard chargers to the cars by cutting the power plugs of the chargers and made a persistant electrical installation with them, like a home charging station. Now to the problem, for the 2011 charger there was no problems. After cutting the plug the cable consisted of 3 wires, earth(ground), phase and a zero cable as we call it in Sweden. That charger is installed and working fine! BUT.. When the guy bought his second Leaf, the charger for the 2013 model is a little bit different. The cable to the powerplug contains 5 wires. Connecting the 3 normal wires (ground, phase and zero) does not make the charger work. All the LED´s on the charger are flashing... The 2 other wires were connected to a small component in the powerplug looking like a "NTC-resistor" built in to prevent overheating in case of bad outlets or something. The charger would probably stop the charging if the powerplug become to hot. Now the NTC-resistor got damaged in the dismantle process. So my question is.. Do anyone of you know what kind of NTC resistor it is? I guess it can be replaced by a normal resistor to simulate normal temp? But then I need to know what value that resistor should have..

Does anyone have any idea about this? Or know where I can find this information?

My guess is that Ingineer would know the nominal value of this thermistor and you could then just replace it with a conventional resistor. since it would serve no real purpose in your scenario...

taztaz said:
Does anyone have any idea about this? Or know where I can find this information?

Obligatory warning to Americans: Standard voltage in Europe is over 200v. Standard in the US is 120v. The "standard charger" (actually EVSE) taztaz is referring to is what is shipped with the car in Europe instead of the "trickle charge cord" shipped with US cars. They are not the same. But a home charging station in the US does use 200-240v. If you try to cut off the plug from a US trickle charge cord and wire it like a home charging station, you will destroy it, despite rumors to the contrary in various places on the internet. Nissan is wise to this, and will not cover replacement under warranty. You will be shocked by the $700+ replacement price.

Ray

Yes, the only thing done with the 230V 10A standard charger we have in Sweden is to cut off the power plug and install it with a permanent cable connection to a circiut breaker. This is done to get rid of the power plug to avoid "wear and tear" of the powerplug and outlet to avoid heat build-up. Hope ingineer sees this thread! :)

no response. But the guy (ricwan) tried a 10k ohm resistor and it works fine! So problem solved! :) Not sure what 10k ohm translates to in temp but it seems to work fine!

Back