The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ocean said:
mkjayakumar said:
What are those "things" in that picture ? Some kind of state of the art wind mills ? - thanks
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/technology&id=8545854" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Join the local owners group on Facebook, and you can relay your appreciation of this site to Kitty Adams and Marc Geller from Adopt-a-Charger directly. They procured the equipment and coordinated the installation.

surfingslovak said:
ocean said:
mkjayakumar said:
What are those "things" in that picture ? Some kind of state of the art wind mills ? - thanks
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/technology&id=8545854" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Join the local owners group on Facebook, and you can relay your appreciation of this site to Kitty Adams and Marc Geller from Adopt-a-Charger directly. They procured the equipment and coordinated the installation.
Thank you. I do appreciate them!

I don't use facebook, though.

Same here. I hate facebook. Nothing stays private in FB. When I make a comment, the whole world knows. All their privacy settings are useless.

I leased my SL two weeks ago, and I just joined this forum today, so I thought I would post my impressions based on these last two weeks.

I live in southern California, so the fact that the Leaf heating system is a bit lethargic didn't seem like it would be a problem. I might have been wrong.

The heated steering wheel only has one setting that I can find, and it gets way too hot way too quick. Turn it off, and it gets cold almost immediately.

The heated seats actually do help, although they don't put out as much heat as I expected.

The heater comsumes mountains of energy, but doesn't seem to produce much heat. I understand that you have to consume energy to produce heat when you don't have the "free" heat from an internal combustion engine, but you would think that when the heater is using 3 kw it would at least put out as much heat as my 1 kw space heater at home. This morning when I left the house it was 59 degrees outside. I tried to get comfortable with just the heated seat and steering wheel heat, but that didn't do a lot. I finally turned on heat, and set temperature to 90 degrees. It finally got comfortable, but barely. When it gets colder, it doesn't stand a chance, and it will kill my range. Being able to drive in comfort is something I just took for granted with my gas car.

Living in southern California, I often don't need any AC or heat, I just need to run the blower, but the car isn't set up to do that. I did find out that I can turn on the climate control, turn off the AC, and turn down the temperature to 60 degrees, and the climate control won't consume any power, although the the guessometer still shows lower range as if it was using energy. Of course the solution to that is to ignore the guessometer.

I noticed that the defroster uses 4.5 kw. That's as much as the drive motor uses at lower speeds. Once I found that out, I only use the defroster when I absolutely have to.

The ride is very comfortable, and the car is very quiet inside, not just because of the obvious lack of engine noise, but road noise is also very low as well. Acceleration is much better than I expected.

Although the total of lease payment and cost of electricity are less than I was paying for my gas car monthly, when I add in the additional cost of insurance (my insurance company has to insure the cost of the Leaf WITHOUT taking into consideration the federal and state incentive), the cost of a level 2 EVSE installed, and the cost of installing a second electric meter at the house, it is more expensive.

I've noticed that there is a phenomenon that I call "electric vehicle anxiety". When I take off to go somewhere, even though I should have plenty of range to make the trip, I always worry "will I really make it?". As I get more experience with the car, most of that should go away. Although the Leaf has over twice the range I need to make my daily commute, it still limits me. I can't decide to go somewhere any distance at all from work. I only charge to 80% in an effort to make sure the batteries will at least make it through my lease period, and that make the problem even worse. Of course if I anticipate the extra trip, I can charge to 100% or drive my gas car to work that day.

All in all, I really like the car, but most of the things I mentioned above came as an unpleasant surprise. Perhaps if I had done more research on this forum, I would have been better aware of the problems I would run into. I find that my range gets a bit better as I find little tricks like not using the defroster.

DanBaldwin said:
... All in all, I really like the car, but most of the things I mentioned above came as an unpleasant surprise. Perhaps if I had done more research on this forum, I would have been better aware of the problems I would run into. I find that my range gets a bit better as I find little tricks like not using the defroster.
I'd suggest using the preheat feature. You can set it up on a timer, use the web site, or a smartphone. That lets you heat up the car with wall power before you go. Then I suspect the seat heat would probably work well enough to keep you comfortable. You could also keep a sweater in the car (is 59 degrees cold?).

You may want to have the heater checked out. I have had mine through a full winter and it can get very hot if I don't keep the temp set low enough. As mentioned, I usually go on my computer and turn on the climate control about 10 minutes before I leave home. Nice and toasty when I get to the car.

davewill said:
DanBaldwin said:
... All in all, I really like the car, but most of the things I mentioned above came as an unpleasant surprise. Perhaps if I had done more research on this forum, I would have been better aware of the problems I would run into. I find that my range gets a bit better as I find little tricks like not using the defroster.
I'd suggest using the preheat feature. You can set it up on a timer, use the web site, or a smartphone. That let's you heat up the car with wall power before you go. Then I suspect the seat heat would probably work well enough to keep you comfortable. You could also keep a sweater in the car (is 59 degrees cold?).

Yup. Once I get an L2 EVSE up and running, I'll plan on pre-heating. Yes, I now realize that it's reccomended that you dress for the outside conditions while driving your Leaf. On the positive side, the air conditioning seems to work really well.

59 degrees IS NOT cold but it's not really comfortable in a short sleeved shirt. That's why I'm a little concerned about winter. If I had difficulty getting the car up to a comfortable temperature at 59 degrees, what hope do I have at 35 degrees? On the coldest days I will probably be back to using gas. Thankfully, we don't have that many really cold days here in the Los Angeles area.

After reading some of the stories of people getting 50 miles on a 100% charge, I'm very pleased with my 70 miles or so on an 80% charge.

I was surprised at how long it takes to get car status with CarWings (typically 30 seconds to 5 minutes). Yesterday it went away altogether. It told me that installation had not been completed, the PIN associated with my VIN appeared to be in use by another car, and I needed to call to resolve the problem. I waited 12 hours, and it seems to work fine.

There were several reports of bad heaters, and I remember a local Leafer getting an inverter board replacement. Might want to have the dealer look at this.

surfingslovak said:
There were several reports of bad heaters, and I remember a local Leafer getting an inverter board replacement. Might want to have the dealer look at this.
That was me -- my heater failed last winter. The PTC (along with the DC/DC converter) were replaced at Nissan Sunnyvale.

There's a related thread here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DanBaldwin said:
Yup. Once I get an L2 EVSE up and running, I'll plan on pre-heating. Yes, I now realize that it's reccomended that you dress for the outside conditions while driving your Leaf. On the positive side, the air conditioning seems to work really well. ...
No need to wait for L2, you can preheat on L1 just fine.

davewill said:
DanBaldwin said:
Yup. Once I get an L2 EVSE up and running, I'll plan on pre-heating. Yes, I now realize that it's reccomended that you dress for the outside conditions while driving your Leaf. On the positive side, the air conditioning seems to work really well. ...
No need to wait for L2, you can preheat on L1 just fine.

I see that in the owner's manual. I'll give it a try next chance I get.

DanBaldwin said:
If I had difficulty getting the car up to a comfortable temperature at 59 degrees, what hope do I have at 35 degrees? On the coldest days I will probably be back to using gas.
Welcome to LEAF ownership! Up here in the San Bernardino Mountains, the temperature was 35°F this morning. Our LEAF heats up nicely, but we don't notice anything for the first few minutes. (Nissan says that the heater in the 2013 LEAF will be significantly better.)

That said, if the weather is cold but dry (as is the case for many winter days here), we only use the climate control minimally. If we already have jackets on, then there is little point in making the cabin toasty. Then again, my wife and I tend to prefer cooler temperatures.

to all those you have their leaf....please don't take me as sarcastic, i am legitamately asking if you are happy with the car, and if it was worth the electric switch

In 60+yrs of driving over 20 different types of ICE cars, the Leaf is BY FAR the best automobile I have ever owned. I've had it for 16+ months/10K+ miles. But, when I purchased it, I realized (and took into account) that I would not be able to venture more than about 35 miles from home unless i had the time/means to plug in somewhere along the way.

I got my Leaf!!!!

After being on the original $99 waiting list, forgoing my spot due to lack of charging ability in Boston, moving back to California, and finally getting a place with a garage, I am now the proud driver of a Blue Ocean SL.

This is my first new car ever; we have been a 1-car family for last 3.5 years (1995 Camry) and are looking forward to many more gas free miles. Not to mention all the sweet features that have been introduced in the past 18 years of automotive innovation...backup camera, navigation, remote door opening.

Also happy to say I squeaked in under the wire for the "29 or under" category of the poll...only 6 more months until I turn 30 :)

I got my Leaf last weekend! It is interesting to browse this forum to see all the folks who were on waiting lists, when now Nissan is offering discounts to clear out the 2012s in advance of the 2013s showing up. We were sort of nervous about buying a possibly-soon-to-be-obsolete car, as well as seeing reports of battery degradation after only a year or so of driving. Our dealer (Magic Nissan of Everett) made us a 2-year lease offer that seemed too good to pass up, so we pulled the trigger. It seems pretty hard to go wrong on a 2-year lease, and we will have enough experience at the end to decide if we want to keep the car, buy a newer model, or go back to fueling with fossils.

So far, so good! Had one 'white-knuckle' day when I got home with the meter showing 4 miles left. Other than that, I've driven 350 miles, solely on Level 1 charging. I'm learning a lot, such as a lead-foot, 70mph on the freeway, and running the heater/defroster plus bright beams is a really bad combination.

We thankfully got lucky in the charging station department, due to a mistake on the part of our dealer. Our salesman told us that AeroVironment just came out with a 120v "Level 2" charger that could charge the Leaf just as fast as a 240v Level 2 charger, but you just plug it into any wall outlet. Now, I don't claim to be an expert on electricity, but I told the guy that it did not sound possible. He opened up a box and showed it to me, so I plunked down $1500 for it, only to discover later that the charging station is merely the same one that AV has been installing, albeit with a 240v plug (instead of hard wiring it in). Our salesman acknowledged his mistake and told us that AV misinformed him, and he offered to give us $200 off the charger in compensation. Of course, a simple online search shows the AV "DIY" charger (there it is, at the top of this web page, right now!) available for about $1100 at Amazon, not to mention other 30-amp chargers for as little as $750. So, we got a refund on the AV charger and ordered a Schneider charger instead. I'll keep the Level 1 charger in its little backpack then, and hopefully not pull it out.

Congratulations. Spend some time reading and you will learn tons from these folks. Here's some on L1 charging: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10318&p=236994#p236994.
Also, don't forget http://www.plugshare.com/ is a great resource for charging stations.
You are so close to the Highway 2 corridor, you will probably want to try it. Others have and have written about it. Here's my account, although from the "other" side: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9946&p=226115#p226115

Finally, don't miss the local info:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=620
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7743

Reddy

Back