The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While not yet "official," I'll be the owner of a new 2013 SV this week. I'll pick her up on Monday or Friday. I declined leasing mainly for the $3200 state credit which I should get this summer on top of the Federal $7500.

Transaction price was $1000 under invoice.

I'm also picking up a GE Wattstation for $870 OTD and having it installed later this week for $300 along with a meter. Good times ahead!

-Mark

Phatcat73 said:
While not yet "official," I'll be the owner of a new 2013 SV this week. I'll pick her up on Monday or Friday. I declined leasing mainly for the $3200 state credit which I should get this summer on top of the Federal $7500.

Transaction price was $1000 under invoice.

I'm also picking up a GE Wattstation for $870 OTD and having it installed later this week for $300 along with a meter. Good times ahead!

-Mark

In California I leased (for 39 mos.) and will get a check for the State Credit ($2500). Is it different in IL?

Leafboy said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
If you are talking about cold air coming in on your feet when the climate control is off, press the recirc button and it will stop the intrusion of the cold outside air.

It took me a while to figure this one out. Every time I turned off climate control passive cold air was blowing at my feet. I was convinced there was a major issue with it. Solution - kid you not - is: when you turn off climate control you have to hit the mode (I think that's what it's called) button and set it to head direction. That is all!

It somehow defaults to feet after being turned off. That's what I do these days: bam-bam. Done. Weird but true.

I just picked up my 2013 SV + QCP/LED Sunday. My wife and I drove it 92 miles as soon as we got it.
Here we are getting our first charge from a Blink Quick Charge in front of Facebook HQ.

leaf12.jpg

Here we are on our way back, stopping at Evernote Building, connecting to a Blink Quick Charge.

leaf11.jpg

surfingslovak said:
RegGuheert said:
Very nice! Welcome to the forum[!

You may get the award for the longest alias!
+1

Wait, that's the QC at Facebook!

Actually this is the short version, I wanted "iWantTheFullEVexperience" but there is a character limit for the user id. :D

Thanks Facebook and Evernote for allowing the QC to be available 24-7.

bronsonb said:
Gmaevie said:
Northern Indiana/southwestern lower Michigan, 1 1/2-week-old Leaf....

So my 23-year-old son racked up a few more miles than he expected and found himself 25 miles from home, with give-or-take 25 miles left in the "tank." Public chargers are few and far between in this neck of the woods....

I get all mad that he hadn't planned better and suggest he go to the nearest L2 charger, in Buchannan, MI. He finds it located near the little police station/city hall, gets connected, and the next thing he knows, police and other city workers are coming out to greet him, snapping pictures, saying "nobody has EVER used that before!" and "We need to tell so-and-so it's actually getting used!"

In the 45 minutes he tanked up, there were quite a few stares and pictures taken. I wish he had taken a picture of them too!

So if you find yourself in Buchannan MI, stop by the local Chargepoint and give everyone a thrill!

That's happened to me at our local Whole Foods. Two L2 Chargers...both currently free of charge. I charge there about once a week for an hour so figuring the more use they get the less likely they are to go away. 3 out of 4 times I end up in a discussion about EVs with someone who has never seen the charge stations used.

And more recently on two occasions, I've had to leave a note for a Prius driver (non plug in) who thought the "Hybrid/EV Charging Space" was for them.

Unfortunately, one of the chargers has stopped working, so there's only one space to use at the moment. :roll:

If those are Chargepoint, take a moment to send a note to their support. I've run into a couple of loose pedestals over the last year, and in my experience they respond quickly to resolve the issues.

Nubo said:
If those are Chargepoint, take a moment to send a note to their support. I've run into a couple of loose pedestals over the last year, and in my experience they respond quickly to resolve the issues.

I'll take a closer look next time I'm out there. I checked last time, and all I saw was the Whole Foods logo. It's definitely not Blink, but I have no idea who is supposed to maintain them.

Saw our first Leaf up close Saturday morning, 2 new ones side by side, went to check it out that afternoon and we left that evening with a Metallic Slate 2013 SL. Submitted an application with our local electric utility (SMUD) to participate in their EV Innovators program and if accepted we will get a charging station installed for little or no cost and get a break on the cost of charging it. Hopefully we will get accepted.

I love driving this car!!

Just picked up a white 2013 SV complete with floor mats. Leased it for 24 months with nothing down for about $220/mo + tax. Money factor was 0.00200 with a 0.63 residual, I believe.

megalo said:
Just picked up a white 2013 SV complete with floor mats. Leased it for 24 months with nothing down for about $220/mo + tax. Money factor was 0.00200 with a 0.63 residual, I believe.
Boy, you whooped that dealer :eek: Congrats. Enjoy you SV, and let us know how your range is with heater on! Bob

bobsfreeleaf said:
firestorm135 said:
Got my 2012 SL a few weeks ago. I walked into the dealership with the expectation of ordering a 2013 S Model, but they had a 2012 SL ready to go. Offered me a price that was what I expected to pay for the S so I went with it!

Decided that getting the car that day, a larger screen, GPS, Carwings, Alloy wheels, LED headlights, and a solar panel outweighed the benefits of slightly better range, a 6.6 Kw charger, and more trunk space. Hope I don't kick myself in the future!

LEAF_SL.jpg

That's what I call a happy ending :mrgreen: You done good. BTW, I didn't get the 6.6 on my S :cry: Plus you would have had to go to the SV for the heater upgrade, which is the only real advance in the 2013 SV and up.

Actually, besides the 6.0kW charger, there is 'B' or Brake mode that allows more one pedal driving than just ECO. There's quite a bit more regen. Also, there's 'once-a-month ok' instead of every time consent which is a really nice new feature. In addition, the steering is better/tighter, seats are more comfortable, and its quieter.

That's what I call a happy ending :mrgreen: You done good. BTW, I didn't get the 6.6 on my S :cry: Plus you would have had to go to the SV for the heater upgrade, which is the only real advance in the 2013 SV and up.

Actually, besides the 6.0kW charger, there is 'B' or Brake mode that allows more one pedal driving than just ECO. There's quite a bit more regen. Also, there's 'once-a-month ok' instead of every time consent which is a really nice new feature. In addition, the steering is better/tighter, seats are more comfortable, and its quieter.

I was mostly talking about range. I like my 2013, and never really drove a '12, so I don't doubt the improvements. I would really agree, it's quiet and comfy. However, steering is too tight in my opinion, especially on those sloppy tires. The regen has puzzled me; I don't see what the increase in range might be? After all, there is no difference in 130/102 mpge ratings between the S and the SV (on the Nissan website). Now, I suppose it is barely ok that a manufacturer can ignore the heater upgrade in mpge in a test (since not everyone uses a heater :cry: , but everyone brakes! So then, why is there no reported mpge difference in the SV over the S for that. The only assumpion I could make is that it is negligible. Perhaps someone can prove that assumption wrong. However, that means the disclosed S model mpge is incorrect, or at least in a non braking enviornment :D . If I look at federal test result between a 4 cylindar and 6 cylindar honda, those mpg's differ. But, with an EV, it doesnt matter? :roll:

Our Red Leaf is a 2012 SL we acquired the day before Thanksgiving. Lease: $2k down, $200/month (including tax), 15k miles. No problems, battery and range fine. Elevation is an issue here - we live at 7400 feet and most of our trips take us down between 700 and 1400 feet - with lots of hills. 3.5 miles/kWh seems to be standard in normal temps, down to as low as 3.0 on days when temps are below 10F (we don't turn off climate control unless needed for range). No battery issues yet. Averaging over 50 miles/day and now have logged more than 1000 over what we should have for our lease, so ....

Our Blue Leaf is a "new" 2011 SL (with quick charge port) we acquired earlier this week. Dealer in TX asked $20,440 for it on Autotrader. I called, they said it was a demo (1600 miles) and the price was legit (that is, it wasn't "after all tax credits"). I checked VIN and verified it was indeed new. I checked IRS and Colorado tax authorities to verify it is still eligible for a combined $12,400 in tax credits, then bought the car. Cost to ship was $750. It's in great condition. We'll be retrofitting the heated seats. The feature to disable the backup warning beep is something I wish they'd left in for 2012.

We still have two ICEs, but I expect to sell one later this month as they aren't even started 5 or more days/week. With 5 family drivers the Leafs (Leaves?) are logging over 95% of the family miles. The Carwings app and web site accommodated the two Leafs easily.

LEAFfan said:
I don't use B mode for more miles as I just use 'N' for that. I like it for one-pedal driving.
Hi Leaffan: Can you help me understand when N makes sense, vs. regen in ECO or Standard mode. Tony tried to teach me this, but I did not understand. When driving small hills and such, or even coasting to red lights, what extends your range the most, and when. Plus, I am pretty sure my S has braking regen, just not the B mode. Thanks!

I agree about the regen - I don't really see how more regen helps your mileage. Obviously if you can regen instead of friction braking that helps but to automatically regen hard when you come off the gas, I only see that hurting unless you don't know how to drive to minimize braking.

The EPA would not require 2 labels for an 2 and SV/SL. Two different engines on an Accord is one thing but regen modes - that would never reach their radar. It is likely the SL is going to have worse efficiency and a lower range but there is no difference in the sticker. I would put different regen modes in the category of different tires.

davidcary said:
The EPA would not require 2 labels for an 2 and SV/SL. Two different engines on an Accord is one thing but regen modes - that would never reach their radar...
FWIW there are different EPA mileage values for '12+ Camry Hybrid LE vs. XLE. See http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=32092&id=32093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Both have the same engine and same net system hp (200).

Back