The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my "blue ocean" SV yesterday. Today I drove out to the barn to take care of the horses - about 34 mi RT from Burien to Covington, with two significant climbs out of the Duamish valley, about 1/3 freeway, A/C on part of the way. Started at 100% and got back with 7 bars, 58% charge, 50 miles remaining. Awesome! :D (I'm set up for 80% now.)

My wife and I got our red Leaf last Friday from John and Nissan of McKinney. :D :D It's delivery date was a week earlier than originally stated and it even came the day before promised--just in time for Labor Day! For any DFW perspective owners, we had an excellent experience at that dealership! We've been having so much fun driving it I am just now getting around to posting!

Like many here I knew more about the car than they did going in so no surprises. It's been performing as predicted or better on our Dallas commutes.

What I find most interesting is that everything that various people have complained about in these forums--navigation system, ipod interface, and even the guessometer--all impress me and I as yet have no complaints (and I'm VERY picky on electronics). Sure there are ways they could be better but all things considered I think everything about the car works fantastic or at least above average. I'll post more thoughts elsewhere on that topic.

Anyway, so far we've had several passersby stop and look at the car and several family opening admiring it.

Picked up my LEAF this morning from Northbay Nissan, Petaluma. Very pleasant buying experience. No pressure, no hassles, quick paperwork - all around excellent service. Ron Coury gave great deal (MSRP - 5%), so it was worth driving 90+ miles to pick up the car.

LEAF is Pearl White, drove 90 miles from Petaluma to San Jose, Eco mode, 55mph average, had one bar left or 13 miles. Initial user experience impression - just like any other car to drive (and that's good) except its more enjoyable.

vjlvjl said:
Picked up my LEAF this morning from Northbay Nissan, Petaluma. Very pleasant buying experience. No pressure, no hassles, quick paperwork - all around excellent service. Ron Coury gave great deal (MSRP - 5%), so it was worth driving 90+ miles to pick up the car.

LEAF is Pearl White, drove 90 miles from Petaluma to San Jose, Eco mode, 55mph average, had one bar left or 13 miles. Initial user experience impression - just like any other car to drive (and that's good) except its more enjoyable.

Hey--that's my car you got! I actually got a pearl white as well (mine is SL+QC) Saturday afternoon from NBN.

Having lots of fun with it! I only had to make it to Berkeley, so I was zooming!

Hi all,

Picked my LEAF up on 9/11/11. It was in more than a week earlier than estimated. I don't have my Blink station installed yet at home but luckily I can charge at work. I live in Portland and work in the West suburbs so anyone who knows the area, knows there is a long uphill to cross. I can do about three one-way trips on a full charge, not bad.

Like others on this thread - there were many things about the car I knew the salesperson didn't. He was relatively new so I can't blame him. Figure a lot out on my own...

Portland Metro must have gotten a couple of batches this summer and now early fall as I went from seeing none to seeing a ton.

Side Note - Portland has created an Electric Avenue with 7 or 8 different charging stations. Check it out online.

I got my leaf!

Picked it up yesterday at Puente Hills Nissan (southern california). Blue SL with no options. Drove the morning commute and plugged into a trickle outlet in the parking garage. The other leaf at my company plugged in next to mine an hour later and we tripped the circuit - we'll avoid each other in the future.

Congrats! :D

bytre said:
I got my leaf!

Picked it up yesterday at Puente Hills Nissan (southern california). Blue SL with no options. Drove the morning commute and plugged into a trickle outlet in the parking garage. The other leaf at my company plugged in next to mine an hour later and we tripped the circuit - we'll avoid each other in the future.

Picked up mine last night at First Nissan in Simi Valley, with seven miles on it. Grew 3 trees on the way to work this morning. :D

Ordered at the end of May and just picked it up this week. I have to say this was probably the most painless car buying experience yet. And I buy cars every couple of years. Leon and his staff at Kearny Mesa Mossy Nissan were friendly, efficient and knowledgable. I ordered the car at a discount from MSRP without any haggling and when I picked up the car they didn't try to pressure me to buy any extras. I politely declined the extended warranty and within an hour or so I was done. Most of that time was spent showing me the features of the car and getting CarWings activated.

I only had it for a couple of days so not too many observations. I have a Prius so most of the cars features are similar. So far I've gone through a single L2 charge using my Blink charger and the only thing I noticed is that if I interrupt the charge from the Blink, the Leaf's charge timer will not be able to charge the car. Next time I'll just remember to always start and stop charges from the Leaf and use the Blink as a "dumb" charger.

I'm picking up my orphaned leaf in 1 hour!! My husband and I stopped by the dealership to check out the car - he hadn't seen one yet and he wasn't 100% sure he wanted to make this poor financial decision - ha, ha! Well, low and behold, there was a 2011 leaf with 24 hours of waiting left on it. The guy who ordered it declined and we got a phone call. The dealership is supposedly selling it to us for 2011 MSRP plus destination charge. I know Leon has a better deal but we're still saving over 2 grand over the 2012 price so I'm happy with that.

I'll post our experience and a pic.

Long afternoon at the dealership. Came home with our 2011 SL. Having fun so far!
leaf_sm.jpg

I picked the leaf on Saturday. I originall went to dealer to sign paperwork before the delivery (october 11). When I was there, I was offered another identical leaf that I could buy. So, I did not want to wait for another 10 days and I bought the car. On rhe same day I drove it home until 6 miles power left. I charged it to 100% by morning (from 12:00am to 7:00am). I drove it on Sunday and came home with 7 bars left around 6:00pm I did not plug it in, since all needed to drive for 40 miles next day. When I checked it vua carwings app on my phonr around 1:00 am, I noticed that the car has 5 bars left and 57 miles to drive. I am worried that its battery is draining. Any suggestion?

bwilliams said:
Looks like the orphan that I got at Mossy Oceanside not long ago. :) http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . minus the husband of course.

erdalc said:
... I drove it on Sunday and came home with 7 bars left around 6:00pm I did not plug it in, since all needed to drive for 40 miles next day. When I checked it vua carwings app on my phonr around 1:00 am, I noticed that the car has 5 bars left and 57 miles to drive. I am worried that its battery is draining. Any suggestion?
Keep an eye on it. It's normal to have the reading turn out one bar lower than what you saw in the car when you parked, the same can happen when you shut down the car, and then turn it back on. It's just a difference in the way the car handles bars, it uses different boundaries depending on the previous charge state...but you've reported two bars lower, which isn't so easily explained.

CarWings is not correct sometimes. I took a long drive one day and returned home to allow it to charge over night. I checked CarWings the next morning and it said 83% charged (I set it for 80% unless I need the extra boost) and range was 41 miles! I panicked and thought there was something wrong with the car. I refreshed CarWings again and got the same readings. I went down to the car and booted it up to find charged to 83% and range 85 miles. I went back inside and refreshed CarWings again and got the same range of 41 miles. Take your reading from the car, don't always trust CarWings. I think Nissan is aware of this issue and is looking into it.

When I noticed 2 bars less than what it was on carwings, I went to the car in the middle of the night and It was also 2 bars less. So, carwings had the correct info. I chatted a nissan rep online, she said that it is normal thst the battery drains so slowly. Her statements were not satisfactory after giving some examples of like what happens If I leave the car at airport and finding it completely drained 2, 3 days later. She said I would leave it plugged in. So, I left the session. My question is at what point I should start worrying about battery drainage. If I leave car at such as 8 bars with 72 miles driving, at least how many hours or days I find it with less bars or miles to be driven?

Other folks may have more/other experiences, but I would expect to lose
0-1 bars if I left my LEAF for three days. Self discharge seems to be minimal.

There are also problems with leaving the LEAF plugged in, it appears that the
12V battery may drain over time if the EVSE is left connected.

I did get excited when I seemed to have lost capacity after a day out-of-town in
the ICE, but mine was just CW misreporting; the car was fine.

Self discharge should be minimal. I left my car for a week and had no reduction in the indicated bars. Mileage had dropped by 2 miles. Not all battery packs are the same and ones with more miles on them may show slightly more discharge than a brand new battery pack.

Back