The problem I see with buying a Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redrum86

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum ( and to the world of Evs). Recently, I can't help it but to be excited about the prices of used Nissan Leafs. In my area 2013 models are going for roughly 12, 000 USD. I have been thinking about buying one to keep since I live in a big city and work in a large institution that offers 220v charging ports. However, the price drop is somewhat concerning. As of now, buying a 2011 model does not make much sense since the 2013 offers superior charging technology particularly the SL model. Correct me if I am wrong, but in a few years the 2011 model will be somewhat obsolete and very hard to sell. I wonder if that will also be the case with the 2013 model. Do you think charging technologies will advance at a rate that in 5-7 years from now the 440 V port will be replaced by a much faster technology, and thus drastically decreasing the value of the car?

Redrum86 said:
... Correct me if I am wrong, but in a few years the 2011 model will be somewhat obsolete and very hard to sell.
If new battery packs are compatible and Nissan still sells them for $6K, then it is possible that 2011 used car prices will go up. Same is true if a third party someday can make compatible battery packs. A long ways down the road when there are a million electrics on the road, this will happen for sure, but less likely now.

Redrum86 said:
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum ( and to the world of Evs). Recently, I can't help it but to be excited about the prices of used Nissan Leafs. In my area 2013 models are going for roughly 12, 000 USD. I have been thinking about buying one to keep since I live in a big city and work in a large institution that offers 220v charging ports. However, the price drop is somewhat concerning. As of now, buying a 2011 model does not make much sense since the 2013 offers superior charging technology particularly the SL model. Correct me if I am wrong, but in a few years the 2011 model will be somewhat obsolete and very hard to sell. I wonder if that will also be the case with the 2013 model. Do you think charging technologies will advance at a rate that in 5-7 years from now the 440 V port will be replaced by a much faster technology, and thus drastically decreasing the value of the car?

You can safely assume that BEVs will depreciate at a fast rate for the next few years, mainly because there are multiple potential 200+ mile range BEVs that should come on the market in 3-4 years at around $35K (or so it is promised). But having said that it all comes down to how long you plan to keep the Leaf. If you can get one for $12K, and let's say you can drive it for next 4 years, you should get very good use out of the depreciation (as it already is a good value as you point out).

Alternatively if you are concerned you could look for good lease deals in the 2-3 year range, which determines exactly what you cost is and will let you re-examine the landscape then. But considering all cars are depreciating assets it is just a matter of how much per month.

Also, if if the battery degrades somewhat significantly and the car can only go 40 miles, I can still see a market for that car.
I imagine that most of these cars will be in pretty good shape, except for the more limited range.

One particular market I can see is kids cars.. High school, possibly college (local).
A car in good shape with limited range sounds like a perfect case here.. ;-) No road trips to Vegas in that!! ;-)

Of course, other very local situations, it will be fine and my guess more reliable than a old / beater ICE car.

So yes, I see the market as more limited (unless someone invests in a new battery), but I don't see it at zero.
My Kia, which was still a great driving little ICE car, had a blue book value of like $1800..
I can't see a nice looking / good driving Leaf with only 40 mile range being less that that.. ;-)

desiv

Thank you for your reply. I live in Dallas TX , and L2 is free of charge. I cannot charge at home since I live in an apartment. However, I live in the center of the city and there are multiple stations near me, I was hoping to take advantage of the Quick Charge ? I have driven a Nissan Altima for almost ten years now, never been a fan of leasing cars. Perhaps I should wait a few more years and see where the market is. Thank you again.

there will all ways be some thing better in the future, so do you plan to wait forever?

The question is what is best "Now" For 12k and a good battery think of the useful life of it Vs cost of gas/oil for an ice vehicle.

With a good battery and you being close to work odds are the vehicle will more then adequately meet your needs.

Some thing to ponder.

Redrum86 said:
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum ( and to the world of Evs). Recently, I can't help it but to be excited about the prices of used Nissan Leafs. In my area 2013 models are going for roughly 12, 000 USD. I have been thinking about buying one to keep since I live in a big city and work in a large institution that offers 220v charging ports. However, the price drop is somewhat concerning. As of now, buying a 2011 model does not make much sense since the 2013 offers superior charging technology particularly the SL model. Correct me if I am wrong, but in a few years the 2011 model will be somewhat obsolete and very hard to sell.
Why would you expect a correction? They're *already* hard to sell, that's why you are able to get excited about the prices. Decide if the car meets your needs and desires and let the future take care of itself.

You didn't mention if this is your only car, but you can't live in Dallas without access to an ICE car (which would mean the Leaf would be a second family car). Otherwise, the latter comments hold true: if an EV fits your needs, don't worry about what will/won't be worth in a few years as technology continually obsoletes itself. The unique thing about a Leaf is new battery = new car (within reason).

The more you drive the better value you'll get. All cars depreciate. Yeah, if you have a short commute and only own the car 2 - 3 years, it's a loss. Drive 20,000+ miles a year and keep the car for 4+ years and in many cases you will have saved enough gas money to make up for any losses.

Leafs of any year take a beating in resale... I don't see this changing any time soon. That is why leasing is so popular...

If you live in Dallas, I would not consider anything older than a 2014 due to the battery heat degradation issue unless it has received a new Lizard battery...

Redrum86 said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but in a few years the 2011 model will be somewhat obsolete and very hard to sell.

I have driven a Nissan Altima for almost ten years now, never been a fan of leasing cars.

In the case of EVs, leasing is usually the better way to go. If you like the car and the battery holds up well, you can buy it off lease, and not end up paying much more in total than you would have paid to buy it. If you buy it up front, you are stuck with a rapidly depreciating car.

That's why I actually bought my 2015. It had 245 miles on it. Hardly classifies as a "used" car, but it was obvious the original owner couldn't get it charged at 120V so he sold it back to the dealership. Boom! $10K off the MSRP. My depreciation curve is much less steep. I plan on driving this car until its wheels fall off so trade in value isn't that important to me.

As many have said if it meets your needs you are doing great to buy a used LEAF and you even get FREE charging at work. That's good for the US and you. Less pollution, no crazy jumping gas prices. you don't help Fracking or ISIS and No pollution (pricesless) .
Please forget the ROI and money, it's a good and smart thing to do.
The new replacement batteries will fit in you vehicle so you can upgrade to a new car range for $5,500 or maybe even less. LG said their batteries will drop prices in half by next year and go further and last longer. The future is in your hands.

Stanton said:
you can't live in Dallas without access to an ICE car (which would mean the Leaf would be a second family car).

I don't live in Dallas, nor have I ever visited the place, but I'd be interested in knowing why exactly you say that. It's only about 75-80 miles (depending on the route you take) from Royse City to Benbrook, spanning the entire Dallas-Ft. Worth area, and there's a dozen quick chargers on that route should you ever have a need for one.

But maybe I'm missing something, and the nearest movie theatre is in San Antonio or something? Most big cities (or even for that matter, suburbs) have pretty much everything you'd want within a few miles of where you live. But maybe Dallas is some kind of wasteland of culture and entertainment - I don't know, I've never been there.

BraveLittleToaster said:
But maybe Dallas is some kind of wasteland of culture and entertainment - I don't know, I've never been there.

Well, it IS in Texas, so... :)

Back