The unofficial Leaf dropout thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
look as us, we have an issue, report it to Nissan, waited 14 seconds, got no response and assume the sky is falling down around us and that EVs will be a distant dream within months.

A wee bit over the top, wouldn't you say?
Dave, I admire your commitment to EVs and can only imagine what you have gone through with the Zenn. That said, can you name another lithium-ion EV, which will lose 10% of range with moderate use in a temperate climate? I can't think of one. If owners don't trust manufacturers, they only have themselves and their dog and pony show to blame.

LOL!! how many Li-ion EVs can you name PERIOD?

after 19 months i really see VERY few viable options for me and i dont have a lot of requirements but...

it MUST have QC. ya, i know i used to think it was unneeded but now that i have it, its a completely different story. create an effective and convenient QC network and i guarantee you EVs will explode

it must have decent range and seat 4 people and be in my price range

so what can we put on that list?

Volt meets all your needs and has a built-in QC.. it will always be ready when needed and you dont have to worry about a broken handle or someone hogging the spot.

surfingslovak said:
can you name another lithium-ion EV, which will lose 10% of range with moderate use in a temperate climate? I can't think of one.

And they hit 10% and keep dropping. What other cars have survived from such a HUGE (cost wise) design failure? I can't think of another car that has such an expensive single part (battery assembly) except another modern EV. I can buy one of the more powerful production car engines in the world for under $10k directly from the manufacturer.

The Chevrolet Vega is gone, with it's "high tech" oil burning aluminum engine.

The late 1950's Edsel failed for non-technical reasons, but it shared one LEAF feature... pathetic sales. The car was the victim of a classic mistake that has doomed many a project by many a company: over hype in marketing. America was made to believe that the Edsel was going to be some kind of heavenly super-car that broke all the rules and stretched the limits of the automotive industry.

The 1934 Chrysler Airflow was far ahead of its time. In actuality, it was quite a good car featuring engineering genius including 50-50 weight distribution and steel space-frame construction. Its biggest downfall appears to be that America was simply not ready for it yet..... the few who did buy were often shocked by the car’s biggest mechanical issue: its engine had a tendency to fall out. I see a lot of parallels with LEAF on this one.

1958 MGA Twin Cam - Classic looks and abhorrent engineering sum this one up..... Needless to say, he who wishes to go racing and winds up with a dead, smoking hole where the engine used to be is not a satisfied customer. It wasn’t long before word spread and the engine was taken off the market. They didn't have the internet yet.

1970 Triumph Stag - The car represents a grand bait-and-switch, for after consumers paid the requisite thousands of dollars to roll out of Triumph’s lot in a sexy little convertible, they are soon contending with a sheer nightmare of an engine that failed in a multitude of horrible ways, all of them rendering the car a nice lawn ornament.... About the only thing the Stag did reliably was break down.

1971 Ford Pinto - Due to the placement of the gas tank directly behind the rear bumper and tendency for the doors to jam shut in rear end collisions, the car became an exploding deathtrap for anyone involved in rather mundane traffic accidents. To make matters worse, the fatuous executives at Ford actually calculated out the cost of repairing the Pinto’s killer design against the cost of potential lawsuits, and found that it would be cheaper to let their drivers roast. The cost-benefit analysis argued that Ford should not make an $11-per-car improvement that would prevent 180 fiery deaths a year... yes, a TMS for the LEAF would cost far more than $11, and nobody will die for lack of a TMS.

2000 Ford Explorer - The Firestone tires were criticized for missing what turned out to be a critical safety feature in tire construction, plus the heat from Texas, Arizona, California and Florida roads made for an especially dangerous combination. This is the most like our baking LEAF batteries.

2001 Mitsubishi Montero - tipped onto two wheels at just 37 miles per hour !!!

1960's Chevrolet (GM) Corvair was made infamous by the 1965 Ralph Nader book, Unsafe at Any Speed, which used it as an opening example of a car with a dangerous design. General Motors (Stock Quote: GM) knew of the issue, but executives chose not to add a roll bar in the car for added safety, which would have cost between $4 and $6 per vehicle. Thanks to concerns about the Corvair, however, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration was formed in 1966.... We need some regulations on EV's; vehicle range, battery life and battery capacities that are standardized

"TonyWilliams"

A wee bit over the top, wouldn't you say?

TonyWilliams said:
...And they hit 10% and keep dropping. What other cars have survived from such a HUGE (cost wise) design failure? I can't think of another car that has such an expensive single part (battery assembly) except another modern EV. I can buy one of the more powerful production car engines in the world for under $10k directly from the manufacturer.

The Chevrolet Vega is gone, with it's "high tech" oil burning aluminum engine.

The late 1950's Edsel failed for non-technical reasons, but it shared one LEAF feature... pathetic sales. The car was the victim of a classic mistake that has doomed many a project by many a company: over hype in marketing. America was made to believe that the Edsel was going to be some kind of heavenly super-car that broke all the rules and stretched the limits of the automotive industry.

The 1934 Chrysler Airflow was far ahead of its time. In actuality, it was quite a good car featuring engineering genius including 50-50 weight distribution and steel space-frame construction. Its biggest downfall appears to be that America was simply not ready for it yet..... the few who did buy were often shocked by the car’s biggest mechanical issue: its engine had a tendency to fall out. I see a lot of parallels with LEAF on this one.

1958 MGA Twin Cam - Classic looks and abhorrent engineering sum this one up..... Needless to say, he who wishes to go racing and winds up with a dead, smoking hole where the engine used to be is not a satisfied customer. It wasn’t long before word spread and the engine was taken off the market. They didn't have the internet yet.

1970 Triumph Stag - The car represents a grand bait-and-switch, for after consumers paid the requisite thousands of dollars to roll out of Triumph’s lot in a sexy little convertible, they are soon contending with a sheer nightmare of an engine that failed in a multitude of horrible ways, all of them rendering the car a nice lawn ornament.... About the only thing the Stag did reliably was break down.

1971 Ford Pinto - Due to the placement of the gas tank directly behind the rear bumper and tendency for the doors to jam shut in rear end collisions, the car became an exploding deathtrap for anyone involved in rather mundane traffic accidents. To make matters worse, the fatuous executives at Ford actually calculated out the cost of repairing the Pinto’s killer design against the cost of potential lawsuits, and found that it would be cheaper to let their drivers roast. The cost-benefit analysis argued that Ford should not make an $11-per-car improvement that would prevent 180 fiery deaths a year... yes, a TMS for the LEAF would cost far more than $11, and nobody will die for lack of a TMS.

2000 Ford Explorer - The Firestone tires were criticized for missing what turned out to be a critical safety feature in tire construction, plus the heat from Texas, Arizona, California and Florida roads made for an especially dangerous combination. This is the most like our baking LEAF batteries.

2001 Mitsubishi Montero - tipped onto two wheels at just 37 miles per hour !!!

1960's Chevrolet (GM) Corvair was made infamous by the 1965 Ralph Nader book, Unsafe at Any Speed, which used it as an opening example of a car with a dangerous design. General Motors (Stock Quote: GM) knew of the issue, but executives chose not to add a roll bar in the car for added safety, which would have cost between $4 and $6 per vehicle. Thanks to concerns about the Corvair, however, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration was formed in 1966.... We need some regulations on EV's; vehicle range, battery life and battery capacities that are standardized

DaveinOlyWA said:

after 19 months i really see VERY few viable options for me and i dont have a lot of requirements but...

it MUST have QC. ya, i know i used to think it was unneeded but now that i have it, its a completely different story. create an effective and convenient QC network and i guarantee you EVs will explode

Fair enough. I admit that I support Nissan too, mainly because they stuck their neck out. I'm not willing to give them a free pass though, just because they were first one to put a mass-market EV in the field.

I looked at the available field data from the MINI E field trial and from the Tesla Roadster last year. Both vehicles had some battery problems, which the manufacturer had to address, but the overall performance and longevity was good to very good. Then there is the Volt, which has performed very well so far. The jury is still out on the i-MiEV, the Fit EV, the new RAV4 EV, Focus Electric, new iteration of the smart EV and Model S.

Granted, few of those, if any, will meet your particular criteria. Personally, I am willing to take an EV that charges quickly on level 2 without a QC option if my other parameters are met. I'm planning to lease from here on out. Once burned, twice shy.

surfingslovak said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Fair enough. I admit that I support Nissan too, mainly because they stuck their neck out. I'm not willing to give them a pass though, just because they were first in this second EV wave.

I looked at the available field data from the MINI E field trial and from the Tesla Roadster last year. Both vehicles had some battery problems, which the manufacturer had to address, but the overall performance and longevity was good to very good. Then there is the Volt, which has performed very well so far. The jury is still out on the i-MiEV, the Fit EV, the new RAV4 EV, Focus Electric, new iteration of the smart EV and Model S.

Granted, few of those, if any, will meet your particular criteria. Personally, I am willing to take an EV that charges quickly on level 2 without a QC option if my other parameters are met. I'm planning to lease from here on out. Once burned, twice shy.

i dont think they should be given a pass either. but i have to say that Nissan has delivered to me more than i expected and that would be true for most of us here but THAT is not the problem

we have real issues with AZ where now we have people who DONT HAVE issues making just as much if not more noise than the people affected.

there are people from Seattle who have already stated that due to the way people in AZ have been treated that they will not buy another LEAF. well, that is their decision but they are now putting their decision upon others in Seattle and that is wrong because it is impossible to leave personal feelings out of conversations of this nature.

we also have people in other warm areas who are seeing degradation that is within expected range (whatever that is) who are now assuming they will see bars dropping faster than Maple leaves in October and it goes on and on and ya the range anxiety is not for everyone but we are shooting ourselves in the foot here and lets face it; as bad as it is, there is very little alternatives for me.

its the LEAF or MiEV and the latter wont work on many levels that i now enjoy with the LEAF.

the other thing to keep in mind is that the battery issue is still on page 2 here. it is not resolved but where is it?

we noticed the problem
we reported the problem
Nissan acknowledged the problem
Nissan starts analysis of problem by gathering data, collecting specimens, etc.

ok, that is where we are at. Nissan told us they have "interesting" info that they need to examine and that was 2-3 weeks ago. now exactly how much time do you think we need to give them to analyze then create a "fix?"

i said in this or another thread that we gave them 14 seconds then reacted to their "action" which has actually been non-action

this should fairly summarize what has happened so far.

now; what i think is going on. Nissan knew about the heat issues from Day 1. but it was another 6-12 months to implement a fix and another $1000 PLUS an unfavorable Exchange rate, so the gamble;

put out the LEAF as is because like i said; it still works for 75% of the people. now we have 25 % that will be very unhappy. so we gamble that the issues wont crop up in mass until after Sept batt plant launch accepting random reports here and there could be kept on the down low like Tick Tock who got his replaced without literally as much as a hiccup.

then as issue gains critical mass, act surprised but immediately accept the blame and replace affected packs with the now MUCH cheaper American made packs that might have been tweaked a bit (since its supposed to be possible with this LI chemistry) to withstand more heat at the cost of power output which would be nearly impossible to discern since most of us spend little time at the 80 KW mark.

This allows Nissan to avoid a huge expense, look very proactive and "customer centric", meet their very ambitious Dec 2010 (ooops) launch date and so on.

now the latter is speculation but no more speculation than the primary direction this forum has gone with concern over Nissan's battery issues

oh and on that fast L2 statement, even Tesla's dual charger setup would be much more inconvenient.

the problem i see with DCFC is its explanation and deployment. its stated to "give an 80% charge in 30 minutes" and its that explanation that originally turned me off to the idea. the thought of these things scattered 20-30 miles apart made real travel inconvenient if these stations needed to be relied upon.

but after we got them and i started using them i realized their real value is to have them scattered around like gas stations. have them every mile, every shopping center, every fast food corridor because the real value is not getting 80% in 30 minutes, its getting 40% in 10 minutes.

not even the best of L2 can do that

**edit** ahh you should know me well enough by now to get me started on this stuff..

the next complaint will be that DCFCs are too expensive and not enough people will use them, yada yada. well ya! when ya gotta go 25 miles to get to the next one, like how often will you use them??

if the cost to put one in in a town is $100,000 does it cost 10 million to put in a hundred? i betting it aint

so where we get the money? lets just borrow a single day of oil subsidies and see how far that will take us?

DaveinOlyWA said:
... so we gamble that the issues wont crop up in mass until after Sept batt plant launch accepting random reports here and there could be kept on the down low like Tick Tock who got his replaced without literally as much as a hiccup.....

OK, hold it right there... I am pretty religious about reading these Battery Capacity Loss threads (ya know, the LOOONNNGG ones) and I haven't seen anything about Tick Tock getting his pack replaced. Did I miss something, or are you referring to Gonewild and not Tick Tock?

vrwl said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
OK, hold it right there... I am pretty religious about reading these Battery Capacity Loss threads (ya know, the LOOONNNGG ones) and I haven't seen anything about Tick Tock getting his pack replaced. Did I miss something, or are you referring to Gonewild and not Tick Tock?
Tick Tock didn't get his battery replaced, he got the capacity bars reset to 12 and hasn't lost one yet. He thinks they might have re-calibrated the sensor while they had his car for testing.

Stoaty said:
vrwl said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Tick Tock didn't get his battery replaced, he got the capacity bars reset to 12 and hasn't lost one yet. He thinks they might have re-calibrated the sensor while they had his car for testing.

ok, bad memory, maybe it was not Tick Tock, but someone got a pack replaced last year

Stoaty said:
vrwl said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Ahhh, ok. Dave said "replaced" so I wondered what was up with that. Ok, back to your originally scheduled program... :)

jhm614 said:
D@mn, sorry to see that. Battery concerns or ??? And what did you replace it with?
Yes, I was down 10%, which made the Leaf less practical for my needs. Since the car was owned, and not leased, it had to go at some point. Driving the ActiveE exclusively for now.

I'm out as well. After loosing my first capacity bar, I continued to lose range, making my commute difficult. Replaced with a 2013 Volt. I have to say I am impressed with the Volt so far, but sad the Leaf is gone. Also very disappointed in how Nissan is handling this.

spelling corrected.

Back