There will be 2 Leaf models by the end of 2012.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
definitely peaks the interest. if this 25% range increase does come about, i wonder how many "jump shippers" might come back?

i do understand marketing and the burden of existing inventory so its easy to see why Nissan is holding back while existing 2012's sit on the lot. right now, they are going for a decent price and i think a spike in gas prices will help these sell but if news of this becomes more concrete for 2013, it could be a tough sell.

but with Nissan sticking to their 20,000 goal and the FY not ending until Mar 31, means half of that 20,000 has to happen in 3 months, i knew they really thought they had something very compelling. a real 90 mile range would definitely push two people i know over the fence

A 25% increase would do pretty much nothing for me... My driving falls in to primarily two pools: 1) What I have is adequate. B) What I need is at least 50% more.

Once again though: Sure glad I leased!

DaveinOlyWA said:
definitely peaks the interest. if this 25% range increase does come about, i wonder how many "jump shippers" might come back?

P71VIC said:
philaphonic said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
definitely peaks the interest.
Sneak-peek: My interest has reached a peak, because this has piqued my interest. So to speak. :D

eek, the weakest thing I've seen all week!

assessing these information leaks is clearly not for the meek - seems all you do is open yourself up to an oblique critique.

philaphonic said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
definitely peaks the interest.
Sneak-peek: My interest has reached a peak, because this has piqued my interest. So to speak. :D

sorry, got carried away there. couldnt help it but most of the information running across the board lately has been based on groundless speculation rooted in the worst case scenario.

TomT said:
A 25% increase would do pretty much nothing for me... My driving falls in to primarily two pools: 1) What I have is adequate. B) What I need is at least 50% more.

Once again though: Sure glad I leased!

DaveinOlyWA said:

same here but i know 2 people (both ended up getting Priuses) who were on the LEAF fence but only because the stated 73 mile range did not give them enough of a comfort zone with expected winter range degradation

DaveinOlyWA wrote:definitely peaks the interest.

philaphonic wrote: Sneak-peek: My interest has reached a peak, because this has piqued my interest. So to speak.

P71VIC wrote: eek, the weakest thing I've seen all week!

wsbca wrote: assessing these information leaks is clearly not for the meek - seems all you do is open yourself up to an oblique critique.

But only a freak, or maybe a geek, would critique a leak that weak. ;)

InsideEVs has an article discussing this: Nissan LEAF To Get 25% More Range, Cheaper Entry Model In 2013 According To Report
We contacted Nissan directly about this report and they decided it was best to not comment.
ENIAC said:
CVT reduction gear!
I really hope it's not a CVT - efficiency is still not there using a dual-motor design and Nissan has had reliability issues with the CVT used in their gas cars. A gearbox with 2-3 speeds would definitely help - you could get a lot more acceleration from the same sized motor at all speeds except right around 30 mph. And there are gearbox manufactures which claim that EVs could improve efficiency 5-10% despite the added complexity/friction from adding a gear box. The biggest issue is making shifts smooth while keeping efficiency high - most of us are familiar with the multiple failed attempts Tesla made at using a 2-speed gearbox in the Roadster - in the end they found it easier and more reliable to improve the inverter to get the performance they wanted.

DaveinOlyWA said:

but with Nissan sticking to their 20,000 goal and the FY not ending until Mar 31, means half of that 20,000 has to happen in 3 months, i knew they really thought they had something very compelling. a real 90 mile range would definitely push two people i know over the fence
Not to mention - how many of us early adopters would look to up upgrade? Just look at how many have already switched to a lease after losing a bit of capacity. If 25% range comes from a 20% increase in battery capacity and a 5% improvement in efficiency - breaking 100 miles/charge should be easy for most people with relatively normal driving. Not only that - but even after 5 years and 20% capacity loss, 91->73 mile range is a lot more palatable than 73->58 mile range especially considering that most will still want to charge to 80%/long-life-mode which really means 58 mile every day range vs 47 mile every day range. Combined with 6.6 kW L2 charging, it really improves usability.

drees said:
InsideEVs has an article discussing this: Nissan LEAF To Get 25% More Range, Cheaper Entry Model In 2013 According To Report
We contacted Nissan directly about this report and they decided it was best to not comment.

This kind of stuff is always really interesting, but I hate having to report on it because its just this 'thing' thats out there. I left it with Nissan for awhile before they decided to not wade into the fray.

Funny is that open Japanese forums pretty much have the same arguments as here (200 comments discussion more range, less range, charging, battery life, Prius, etc, etc). They also seem to realize it won't go 200km now, lol.

Here is where I first tagged it from if you want to translate to see the back and forth:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/katatsumuri2261/archives/14311905.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is a cute headline, so I fully expect it to get re-made a few dozen times today by our media outlets today in North America (GCR media starts at 8am and I see they already put up their slant)...maybe if it gets enough play more info will come out, or Nissan will feel they have to make some kind of statement and we can put it to bed.

It would appear that marketing wants to keep a lid on this out of fear that a disclosure off more range would further dampen putrid sales of the 2012 model

Could and probably will be less than 25%. The Volt gained 4 MPGe or 4% between 2012 and 2013. All of it was on the City Cycle, meaning the City Cycle range increased by 8%. The Japanese Cycle is like a mile City Cycle, suggesting that when combined with the Highway cycle the range difference on the EPA combined cycles would only be 12.5%.

Unless the sales numbers were to actually go negative, it's hard to see how they could get all that much lower!

stanley said:
It would appear that marketing wants to keep a lid on this out of fear that a disclosure off more range would further dampen putrid sales of the 2012 model

My guess is, if the purported "25% increase in range" comes to pass at all, it will be like the current claimed 100 mile range: unrealistic and inaccurate in the real world, and that will we see something more akin to an actual 15% increase...

drees said:
Not to mention - how many of us early adopters would look to up upgrade? Just look at how many have already switched to a lease after losing a bit of capacity. If 25% range comes from a 20% increase in battery capacity and a 5% improvement in efficiency - breaking 100 miles/charge should be easy for most people with relatively normal driving. Not only that - but even after 5 years and 20% capacity loss, 91->73 mile range is a lot more palatable than 73->58 mile range especially considering that most will still want to charge to 80%/long-life-mode which really means 58 mile every day range vs 47 mile every day range. Combined with 6.6 kW L2 charging, it really improves usability.

leafkabob said:

philaphonic wrote: Sneak-peek: My interest has reached a peak, because this has piqued my interest. So to speak.

wsbca wrote: assessing these information leaks is clearly not for the meek - seems all you do is open yourself up to an oblique critique.

A well-placed leak, adds mystique. Gives them a peek of what they seek.

Nubo said:
leafkabob said:

A well-placed leak, adds mystique. Gives them a peek of what they seek.
Though sales be weak, every tweak, regardless how meek, makes the offering more unique!

I read that the 2013 Leaf will have a 660 kilowatt charger. Will the 660 kilowatt charger increase the speed of L2 charging from 7 hours to 4.5 hours?

bernie82 said:
I read that the 2013 Leaf will have a 660 kilowatt charger. Will the 660 kilowatt charger increase the speed of L2 charging from 7 hours to 4.5 hours?

that would be 6.6 killowatt charger and yes it will double the charging speed from the current models

Back