Think I can make it?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkulak

I'm planning a trip (first ever) and one leg has a Blink QC, then then next QC is 45 miles away by freeway. I'll be rolling in with < 50% SOC, and I suppose if it charges to exactly 80%, I should be fine, but what if it stops at 70%? I hear these things aren't super reliable. In that case, just plug in and drop another $5 to get past 80%? There's no Level 2 charger in the area, otherwise I'd consider just plugging in there once I hit 80%. What do you guys think? I'd like to not get stranded my first trip; that would not do wonders for my wife's confidence in the whole EV experiment. :D

pkulak said:
I'm planning a trip (first ever) and one leg has a Blink QC, then then next QC is 45 miles away by freeway. I'll be rolling in with < 50% SOC, and I suppose if it charges to exactly 80%, I should be fine, but what if it stops at 70%? I hear these things aren't super reliable. In that case, just plug in and drop another $5 to get past 80%? There's no Level 2 charger in the area, otherwise I'd consider just plugging in there once I hit 80%. What do you guys think? I'd like to not get stranded my first trip; that would not do wonders for my wife's confidence in the whole EV experiment. :D
IMHO, should be no problem @ 80% charge if: you drive <60mph; don't use heater, have no mountains to climb; don't have your 300lb+ mother-in-law with you.
Have fun! :cool:

pkulak said:

The more important question to ponder is: Does the Blink QC that you count on really work. We are not talking about charging to x%, but not stranding you with a dead unit? Yes, these things are not known for their reliability.
But then, they add this little sense of adventure to life... :D
I would check on plug share if it has been successfully used lately.

You can set the Blink QC to charge to higher than 80%. The charging rate slows down but you can do it. On the screen which gives you the charging option just go to "Other".

SanDust said:
You can set the Blink QC to charge to higher than 80%. The charging rate slows down but you can do it. On the screen which gives you the charging option just go to "Other".

Ooo, thanks! That is really nice to know.

It doesn't matter if you set a Blink to 100% (if you're under 50% soc) it will stop when it thinks you're at 80%, which should actually be about 72%. The bad reading comes from the LEAF instead of the Blink as I use 2 other brands of quick chargers & they read off by the same amount. Its just a bummer that the Blink stops early & charges $5.00

philipscoggins said:
It doesn't matter if you set a Blink to 100% (if you're under 50% soc) it will stop when it thinks you're at 80%, which should actually be about 72%. The bad reading comes from the LEAF instead of the Blink as I use 2 other brands of quick chargers & they read off by the same amount. Its just a bummer that the Blink stops early & charges $5.00
Apparently, on the '13 LEAF it will charge to 100% any time you request it to.

It's not the Blink QC that stops charging around 80% on the '11-12 when you want 100%, it's the car.

Last week I drove to a client that is 61 miles away and when I arrived at the Nissan dealer that's up the street from them I had 50% left on my battery. I plugged it in and grabbed their PC and my two bags and walked to their office. I came back 3 hours later to a fully charged LEAF and drove home a lot faster since I knew I could make. When I arrived home I had 19 miles of range left!

All Level 2's here, closest QC is 103 miles away! :(

pkulak said:

philipscoggins said:
My 2011 MY keeps charging beyond 80%. Maybe you have the timer on and it's set to stop charging at 80%?

Nope timer not on. I was told that if you plug into the charger at less than 50% the DCQC will stop at 80%, if you were above 50% it will keep going when you set a higher stop point.

Level 2 Blink stations work as expected (charges until full if it's not stopped earlier)

I've DCQC'd about 3 or 4 times since they started charging & it's been the same every time.

I thought this was discussed earlier... Couldn't find on a quick search, maybe I dreamed it...

philipscoggins said:
Nope timer not on. I was told that if you plug into the charger at less than 50% the DCQC will stop at 80%, if you were above 50% it will keep going when you set a higher stop point.
That's it. I've never started at or above 50%. Thanks.

Back