This is how I get my electric rate, correct?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkendt1989

I take the distribution charge and add it to the Generation and transmission charge price (The two circled numbers). With those two numbers combined, I then get my price per KWH, correct?

For example, on this bill I payed .1659 per KWH. Am I doing that correct? I spoke to a Peco rep and he said that you have to combined the numbers. I wanted to check with the board first to make sure that he was accurate because I trust you guys more than him :D

Thanks!

2h5mds7.jpg

$128.09 / 730 = 0.17546

So, you're paying 17.546 cents per kWh. Are there any additional taxes and fees on other pages that apply to electricity.

Yes, I think that's correct. My bill from LIPA looks very similar. When I add up the two numbers, I'm paying just under $0.19/kwh...doesn't make the Leaf such a great deal lol

cwerdna said:
$128.09 / 730 = 0.17546

So, you're paying 17.546 cents per kWh. Are there any additional taxes and fees on other pages that apply to electricity.

Are you sure that is a better way than adding the two numbers together?

You have the customer charge in there that will be there no matter what. Along with a few other taxes.

Also, that is the final price. There are no other taxes listed on that page or any other page. The total at that bottom is what I had to pay.

NYLEAF said:
Yes, I think that's correct. My bill from LIPA looks very similar. When I add up the two numbers, I'm paying just under $0.19/kwh...doesn't make the Leaf such a great deal lol

I hear ya, thankfully I just signed up for a program to lower it by .03 a month.

jkendt1989 said:
cwerdna said:
$128.09 / 730 = 0.17546

You have the customer charge in there that will be there no matter what. Along with a few other taxes.

Also, that is the final price. There are no other taxes listed on that page or any other page. The total at that bottom is what I had to pay.
To me, it is. You can't avoid paying that "customer charge" or whatever else there is associated w/electricity.

cwerdna said:
jkendt1989 said:
cwerdna said:
$128.09 / 730 = 0.17546

To me, it is. You can't avoid paying that "customer charge" or whatever else there is associated w/electricity.

I see what you are saying but I would be paying that whether I had the Leaf or not. I want to strictly find out how much extra I am paying for the Leaf. I believe adding those two numbers will give me the exact extra the Leaf costs to my electric bill. Thank you for your help and input!!

jkendt1989 said:
I see what you are saying but I would be paying that whether I had the Leaf or not. I want to strictly find out how much extra I am paying for the Leaf. I believe adding those two numbers will give me the exact extra the Leaf costs to my electric bill. Thank you for your help and input!!

When asking "What do I pay for electricity?", there are two answers that could be given. It all depends upon what you are trying to figure out. You have a "marginal electric rate", which is how much you would pay if you added an extra kWh to your bill and an "effective electric rate", which is your total bill divided by total kWh (just your average price, factoring in any base charges).

You don't appear to have any tiers on your bill, so yes, your electric rate to add charging for your Leaf is currently $0.1659/kWh. If you drove 1,000 miles, consuming 250 kWh from the wall, your bill would increase by $41.48. (250 * $0.1659 = $41.48). This is the number that you are interested in.

The $7.09 that you pay to the electric company, even if you didn't use ANY electricity during the month is why cwernda said you're paying $0.1746. That is correct for how much you paid that specific month show on the bill, but that doesn't answer the question of how much extra you would need to pay to charge your Leaf (or run your AC or whatever). If your power usage goes up (additional usage based off charging Leaf), that $7.09 connection fee gets pro-rated over more kWh, so its impact drops.

Note that these rates can fluctuate during the year. While your bill doesn't directly mention this, common things are summer/winter rates, multiple tiers (pay rate X for the first 500 kWh, then jumps to rate Y, then jumps to rate Z), Time of Use (same as tiers, except the tiers change during the day, not based off total electricity consumption), demand charges (based off your peak power usage during the month (not common for residential, but common for business accounts).

Back