Thump/popping in wheel/axle area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefe

Sometimes I hear a low popping/thumping sound coming from around my front wheel when taking off slowly while the wheel is slightly turned. I can'd decide if this is just normal wheel sounds that I'm not used to hearing because of the quietness of the electric motor.

any ideas?

Could be the CV joints in your front axle.

Might be worth doing some slow figure 8's in a parking lot with the windows down.

Should still be under warranty, right?

Roostre said:
Could be the CV joints in your front axle.

Might be worth doing some slow figure 8's in a parking lot with the windows down.

Should still be under warranty, right?

Yes, still under warranty. And I'm trying to identify any outstanding issues, as my warranty is expiring in the next few months. I'll do some 8s and see. What would I be looking for while doing figure 8s? More popping?

Yes. Listen for more odd sounds.
It might be useful to video it when it happens, as the whole wheel may be moving/jerking and that would be easy to show the Nissan tech.

I have this exact issue. I took it into Nissan and they identified it right away based on a tsb. It's some rubber gasket or bushing on the strut.

I had the same issue a few months ago and took it to a local dealer. The sound came from the right passenger front wheel well, and was similar to someone tapping on a pot. Sometimes it sounded like a creaking.

I recorded the sound on video and was mostly able to replicate it when accelerating from a stop, and turning left onto my driveway. The volume and frequency of the sound increased over time.

The dealer found an existing TSB and installed a spacer on the right front strut, which removed the sound entirely. The installation took several hours.

EH... Jefe. I also had a regular thumping, tapping noise that changed speed with vehicle speed... I was mad that so soon I had to take it back to the dealer.... Not all the lug nuts were tightened correctly. I tightened, and all was great!. I say, buy a nice cross-shaped lug wrench, and then you can get good strength to tighten the nuts. You may be amazed that a (not loose) un-torqued nut can cause a noise!!

Back