Tier 4 orders now opening

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, just got my email in western Pennsylvania!
I'm calling a few local Dealers to make sure I get a decent deal before actually requesting the quote online.

evnow said:
tps said:
My LEAF is RAQ'ed and ordered on 11/30/2011 here in Philadelphia.
Finally !
Maybe at least this will put me close to the front of the Tier 4 line. Looking forward to the day in a few months when the delivery truck rolls into the dealer with my LEAF!

nunezj12 said:
I just got an email to RAQ here in Ohio (of course I already bought an orphan). Any one else in tier 4 get the email to order?
What are the other states in Tier 4 ? The title of the thread needs to be updated and stickied for quick reference.

I decided on a dealer. Salesman said that they just received 4 open slots yesterday for placing Leaf orders.

But when I go to the website and try to submit the RAQ, it says that my preferred dealer has reached their monthly order allowance.
The salesman is going to call Nissan and find out what the deal is, but he assures me that they definitely have the open slots, so it won't be a problem once the website issue is sorted.

Sigh. :cry:

EdmondLeaf said:
Does it mean that I am in la(o)st state? I am so happy for you.

This is I think a pretty good sign for us in the last group of states. The fact that 'end of the year' turned out to be Dec 1 (as opposed to Dec 31) may mean we will get to order early in 2012. I know I might be digging a bit for the silver lining as we sit and wait...but we don't have much more to go on.

Also note there was only about 6 weeks between Tier 3 opening up (Oct 20th) and Tier 4 (Dec 1).

LeafinThePark said:
EdmondLeaf said:
Does it mean that I am in la(o)st state? I am so happy for you.

This is I think a pretty good sign for us in the last group of states. The fact that 'end of the year' turned out to be Dec 1 (as opposed to Dec 31) may mean we will get to order early in 2012. I know I might be digging a bit for the silver lining as we sit and wait...but we don't have much more to go on.

Also note there was only about 6 weeks between Tier 3 opening up (Oct 20th) and Tier 4 (Dec 1).
Tier 3 ordering opened early on September 28th, so it has been two months not six weeks. Nevertheless, the schedule does seem to be getting pushed forward and it may not be much longer before the "lost" states get to order. Bear in mind that the dealers in those states will need to spend the time and money to become "LEAF certified" first and not all will choose to do so.

The downside of the schedule being moved forward is that it seems to reflect lower than expected demand for the LEAF in the USA.

It looks like it will be a Merry Christmas for reservation holders in Tier 4. I'll be curious to see the numbers. So far, I am not even sure how many orders have been placed in Tiers 2 and 3. In fact, I read the other day that 90% of the Leafs delivered to date have been in California.

Sadly, reservation holders in the states to the south, east, and west of me can now order... but not me. :-(

I'll also be curious to see if there will be more divisions into Tiers 5, 6, 7, maybe more, before they open up in my village. Sigh....

dgpcolorado said:
The downside of the schedule being moved forward is that it seems to reflect lower than expected demand for the LEAF in the USA.
Or Nissan trying to get there earlier than Ford/Mitsu (ofcourse at that time, Nissan didn't know the price of Focus EV).

dgpcolorado said:
I've said it before: we'll not understand the "demand" until one can buy a LEAF off the dealers lot at most Nissan dealers. It will take the production capability of Smyrna to get us there. The reservation thing is probably a roadblock to most car buyers. As it is, almost all of the current limited supply is sold almost as fast as it's being made, even with the reservation system.

But, I'm still glad that Nissan is moving forward. At least it's to the point where I finally got to order after a rather long wait.

tps said:
dgpcolorado said:
I've said it before: we'll not understand the "demand" until one can buy a LEAF off the dealers lot at most Nissan dealers. It will take the production capability of Smyrna to get us there. The reservation thing is probably a roadblock to most car buyers. As it is, almost all of the current limited supply is sold almost as fast as it's being made, even with the reservation system.

But, I'm still glad that Nissan is moving forward. At least it's to the point where I finally got to order after a rather long wait.
Of course you're right that we can't really measure demand yet. But don't extrapolate your experience (and mine), as an enthusiast who can't wait to get one, to the general public.

I have my doubts that Nissan can sell 75,000 LEAFs a year in the USA. That was the plan as of September: Smyrna plant producing 150,000 LEAFs a year, 75,000 for export 75,000 for domestic sales. Even when there are LEAFs on the lot at every LEAF certified Nissan dealer, can they really sell that many very expensive short range compact cars that require a new mindset to use effectively? If gas was at $5+ a gallon, I think the LEAF might sell pretty well. But, how about if gas stays at ~$3 a gallon?

When I think about Tony Williams' explorations of the range limits of the LEAF and try to imagine "Joe Six-pack" using his range chart to decide whether or not to make a trip, well, I just have a hard time seeing it happen. I'm a tech-savvy scientist so I love that stuff, but will the average motorist be willing to do that just to drive a car around? How about trying to figure out how to use the LEAF climate control system? Or trying to figure out how to program the charging cycles? Can people who couldn't figure out how to set the clock on a VCR really be comfortable driving a LEAF? I have my doubts. Any idiot can drive an ICE car, albeit not necessarily well, of which we get daily proof. But the LEAF?

Unless Nissan can get the range increased and the price lowered, the LEAF seems like a tough sell to me, although I'd love to be wrong about that.

My 2¢.

Good point. But if they've got kids, they can let them do it. :)

dgpcolorado said:
will the average motorist be willing to do that just to drive a car around? How about trying to figure out how to use the LEAF climate control system? Or trying to figure out how to program the charging cycles? Can people who couldn't figure out how to set the clock on a VCR really be comfortable driving a LEAF? I have my doubts.

dgpcolorado said:
When I think about Tony Williams' explorations of the range limits of the LEAF and try to imagine "Joe Six-pack" using his range chart to decide whether or not to make a trip, well, I just have a hard time seeing it happen. I'm a tech-savvy scientist so I love that stuff, but will the average motorist be willing to do that just to drive a car around? How about trying to figure out how to use the LEAF climate control system? Or trying to figure out how to program the charging cycles? Can people who couldn't figure out how to set the clock on a VCR really be comfortable driving a LEAF? I have my doubts. Any idiot can drive an ICE car, albeit not necessarily well, of which we get daily proof. But the LEAF?
The average person will not try to maximize Leaf usage, unlike us. They will be conservative and use Leaf for trips less than 50 miles.

There are a lot of people committed to the idea of a green living - Nissan just needs to get them to buy Leaf. Just think of the 5 Million Move On members (or even 1.4 Million Sierra Cub members).

BTW, we shouldn't asume Smyrna will start producing 150K cars right away. They will ramp up slowly, depending on demand. I can see them making and selling 150K cars in 5 years, when Leaf will have an EPA range of about 125 to 50 miles.

evnow said:
The average person will not try to maximize Leaf usage, unlike us. They will be conservative and use Leaf for trips less than 50 miles.

There are a lot of people committed to the idea of a green living - Nissan just needs to get them to buy Leaf.
Maybe I'm one of those who fit the "average" profile. Normally, I'll be rather conservative with my daily LEAF usage, 40 mi. / day or less.

I definitely like the idea of owning a car which doesn't spew lots of stuff out of a tailpipe. Given the number of cars in the Philly metro area, it's a sickening thought just how much auto exhaust gets spewed out into the air right around me. All of the mass of fuel I pump into my car on a bi-weekly basis comes out through the tailpipe, including the mass of the air which oxidyzed it. I'll be glad come the spring day when my LEAF arrives and I can kick the gas station habit for good!

Back