Tire Advice

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 15,000 my tires are shot. Sounds like the MXV4 is popular but Ecopia (crap) is $358 for all four on TireRack. The TR specs say the MXV4 weigh 3lbs (23lbs) more than stock each. Has anyone noticed a range drop after install? +3lbs on each wheel perimeter is unfortunate in stop and go driving, which is all I do.

The Pirelli Cinturado P7 is 2lbs lighter than stock, very high grip but then of course lousy 260 tire wear. The Good Year Fuel Max and Efficient Grip are also 2lbs lighter, but the Fuel Max has a nice 580 tire wear and decent dry grip. Anyone running the GY Assurance Fuel Max tires???

I did a lot of research before I bought the MXV4s as I wanted a tire that wore well and also had better braking and handling than the stock crap-o-matics. I did some careful tests with my MXV4s and they appeared to be only about 1-2 percent worse than the old Ecopias... Not worth even worrying about, in my opinion, nor is the slight weight increase (stronger, more robust tires ARE likely to be slightly heavier after-all). I forget my exact numbers but they are in another thread on here... And keep in mind that new tires will always get worse mileage than old tires, even if they are exactly the same tire.

TRONZ said:
At 15,000 my tires are shot. Sounds like the MXV4 is popular but Ecopia (crap) is $358 for all four on TireRack. The TR specs say the MXV4 weigh 3lbs (23lbs) more than stock each. Has anyone noticed a range drop after install? +3lbs on each wheel perimeter is unfortunate in stop and go driving, which is all I do.

+1 on the MXV4's
I won't ever drive on a Bridgesone / Firestone POS tire ever.
I changed mine the day I bought my Leaf.
Handles better, stops better.

I've had them (same exact size actually) on both my VW TDI Passats for over 300,000 miles with no complaints.

Do yourself a favor.............

I was very intrigued by the spare tire mounted under the rear of your car. How is the tire secured to the car and how is it released when you need it?
I have just ordered a spare tire for my new Leaf. My idea was to keep the spare at home and in the event that I needed the spare I would have my wife or daughter put the spare into a cab and have them deliver it too me. I am using my Leaf to commute to work 150 km a day from Squamish to Vancouver. I was told by the tire shop that using the gunk pump to inflate your tire can damage your tire pressure sensor. These sensors are very expensive. :cool:

dheywood71 said:
I was very intrigued by the spare tire mounted under the rear of your car. How is the tire secured to the car and how is it released when you need it?

There is a crank handle to lower it. The tire and wheel is held up with a cable.

Hi Tony,
Have you abandoned the spare tire carrier project?
I know you have been preoccupied with more important activities but I hope you will find time in the near future to put together the next batch of spare tire carrier kits. I would be happy with getting the necessary parts or the information where I can order them plus a sketch on their location and be happy to pay for your effort.
I’ve enjoyed watching your cross country marathon and your many posts.
Thanks, Bill Brauneis

In the latest Consumer Reports (November 2012) there is their annual tire test ratings. In the Performance All-Season H Speed rating category, the Michelin MXV4 is first. Want to guess what is dead last? Yep, the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422...

TomT said:
In the latest Consumer Reports (November 2012) there is their annual tire test ratings. In the Performance All-Season H Speed rating category, the Michelin MXV4 is first. Want to guess what is dead last? Yep, the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422...
Do they do any rolling-resistance tests with their ratings?

I'd be interested to see how various summer tires are rated in the stock size - no real need for all-seasons in so-Cal - did they test those too, or only all-season tires?

wcbrauneis said:
Hi Tony,
Have you abandoned the spare tire carrier project?...
I’ve enjoyed watching your cross country marathon and your many posts.
Thanks, Bill Brauneis

Bill, I sent you a PM. I still have five sub assemblies ready, and that will be all. I intend to get out of the LEAF business altogether in the upcoming future, so perhaps there is a qualified person who would like to take it over?

Yes they did and both tires were rated excellent for rolling resistance. They, along with the Dunlop SP Sport 7000 A/S (which finished 7 overall), were the only tires to receive an excellent rating for rolling resistance.

They tested all-season (T rating), performance all-season (H rating), performance all-season (V rating) and winter tires (no speed rating). Except in ultra-high performance tires, it's hard to find summer-only tires for cars these days...

drees said:
TomT said:
Do they do any rolling-resistance tests with their ratings?
I'd be interested to see how various summer tires are rated in the stock size - no real need for all-seasons in so-Cal - did they test those too, or only all-season tires?

After reading a lot of very favorable reviews on the G2 Prius Yahoo Group for snow tires from Nokian (Finnish) I took a chance and installed the Nokian i3 (http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=10360784&group=1.02&name=Nokian+i3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) which is a T rated tire. It looks as though they will deliver at least 50,000 to 60,000 miles, based on their numeric in-tread wear index numbers. They drive fine. Has anyone put this tire on the Leaf?

I find that the Ecopia is just too unforgiving a tire for me.

Thanks,

baumgrenze

The tread on our last three remaining original Bridgestone tires is almost gone and I thought I'd pulse the forum for updated thoughts and comments on replacement tires. On the various threads, Michelin MXV4s seem to garner the most positive comments and are available at our preferred source, Costco.

For background, the three original Bridgestone Ecopias now have 22,200 miles and are unlikely to be serviceable past 23,000 miles. The fourth tire has been replaced twice (first at 5,000 miles after meeting a pothole, and again at about 10,000 miles after arguing with a piece of sheet metal on the roadway) and will become the spare. We rarely get on the freeway, but local road speed limits outside of residential areas are 50-60 mph, 55 mph being the norm. I keep the pressures at 40 psi. Snow and rain are the exception here in the desert, but we hope to eventually move northward within the next couple of years to where both are more common.

Thanks in advance!

Did you lease or purchase ?

Because of high miles on our lease (15K/year) being fully taken advantage of, and needing to replace at around 28k miles, we went with Michelin Defender due to the high Treadwear Rating (820). That way we won't have to replace due to lease return requirements at 45k miles at the end of the 36 month lease.

i put on mxv4s and took a hit on range. even pumped up to 42 psi, i am still taking a one bar hit down from 8 to 9 on my 50-mile commute.
i used to get 5miles/kwh pretty occasionally. i never see it now.
i used to average 6 miles per bar on the commute, i occasionally see 5 or 5.5.

i like the ride. i like the added sturdiness; i lost one ecopia to a flat and another to a bubble in the tread.
i drive la freeways and streets, rarely go over 60-65, rarely rush to a light and STOP.

Boy, that certainly does not jib with my results... I only saw about a 3 percent drop which was expected since the Michelins were new and the Ecopias worn out, and new tires with deeper tread always have higher rolling resistance. I run 44 by the way.

thankyouOB said:
i put on mxv4s and took a hit on range. even pumped up to 42 psi, i am still taking a one bar hit down from 8 to 9 on my 50-mile commute.
i used to get 5miles/kwh pretty occasionally. i never see it now.
i used to average 6 miles per bar on the commute, i occasionally see 5 or 5.5.

LEAFer said:
Did you lease or purchase ?
We bought out the lease after a few months and expect to have it for quite a while. Except for OEM tires, it has been 30 years since purchasing anything not Michelin, but LRR tires and EVs might be a different game.

Back