Tires: Ecopia EP422 vs. Ecopia EP422 PLUS?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevempotter

I just got a set of Ecopia EP422s, expecting to have EP422 PLUSs installed. I called Campbell Nissan in Edmonds, WA several days ahead of time before my appointment to ensure they had the PLUSs in stock, and they assured me they did and that is the one they install on Leafs. But at the end of the installation, they were just EP422s. The very friendly parts guy said he had not heard of the EP422 PLUS, and that they were not in his catalog. This dealer sells and services a TON of Leafs, so this does not ring true. When did the PLUS come out?

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between these two? In terms of specs, handling, wear, or expected power economy? I am having a hard time finding anything on Bridgestone's web pages saying what the difference is. They seem to have the same MSRP OF $126.99; I paid $131 each (Sep. 8, 2015, P205/55R16 89H OETIR-02906).

NON-plus Ecopia: http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/ecopia-ep422-eco/p205-55r16
TIRE SIZE, SERVICE DESC, LOAD RANGE SPEED RATING, SIDEWALL STYLING, ARTICLE NUMBER, APPR. RIM WIDTH OVERALL, TIRE DIAMETER, TREAD DEPTH, TIRE WEIGHT, WARRANTY MILES, WARRANTY KM
P205/55R16 89H H BW 004285 5.5-7.5 24.88 10 18 0 0

(Why are Warranty Miles and Warranty KM zero?)

On http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/ecopia-ep422-plus/205-55r16
Is this the correct row for the equivalent PLUS version for the Leaf?:
205/55R16 91H H BW 006070 5.5-7.5 24.9 10 19 70000 110000

My OEM 2012 SL tires only lasted about 20,500 miles before they were very close to the tread wear indicators that void the warranty. Is this expected on Leafs?

"The very friendly parts guy said he had not heard of the EP422 PLUS, and that they were not in his catalog. This dealer sells and services a TON of Leafs, so this does not ring true."

I might rethink the "very friendly" portion.

Of course there is a difference, and it is major in my opinion. stevempotter even asked specifically for them, and they didn't say at that time, no never heard of them, did they.

According to the Tire Rack website: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...h=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17&zip-code=

The Ecopia EP422: UTQG 400AA, weight rating 89, low rolling resistance: Ecopia, price $104 + shipping
The Ecopia EP422 PLUS: UTQG 560AA, weight rating 91, low rolling resistance: Ecopia, price $101 + shipping
The Ecopia EP422 PLUS: UTQG 640AA, weight rating 91, low rolling resistance: Eco product, price $101 + shipping

I'm guessing that the Eco product is made from their orange oil addition, but I'm not sure and I don't know that it is really making much if any difference.

I just checked on mine, and they do say "Eco product" on the sidewall.

I had to make a similar decision a few weeks ago, and I chose the "Eco product" 422 PLUS, as it had the higher weight rating, and the higher wear rating UTQG 640, and it was even $3 less per tire than the old Ecopia 422. Now, it might not be as straightforward as it appears, as I was able to get 45K miles out of the original Ecopia 422, which I really can't argue with that!! OK, for the last 4K or so miles I did have to refill a slow leak in one tire, and two tires were essentially worn out, with a third one close behind, but a fourth one looking almost usable for several thousand miles more, but I had to replace them all in a set of four. The higher UTQG wear rating though was the deciding factor, as now I'm hoping the new ones will go even longer. :D

I will say I ordered from Tire Rack, excellent to deal with, and had them installed in Lakeland Florida at Cannon Subaru Buick Cadillac where they were great and I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Both Discout Tire and Costco, knew exactly what I was talking about when I asked about the 422 plus. At Costco, the tire guy related they are supposed to have a more durable shoulder, which he said was a weak point on the non-plus (my tires atest to that as well). My EP422 Plus are supposed to be here tomorrow or the next day for install at Discount Tire/America's Tire. I would demand the EP422 plus, the pricing was the same here as well.

Looks like the Plus is 1 lb lighter which may give a slightly better ride quality on uneven pavement, however significantly higher threadwear rating likely means harder rubber and less traction. The original 422s are barely adequate in turns, I wouldn't want to sacrifice any additional traction for other marginal benefits.

Valdemar said:
Looks like the Plus is 1 lb lighter which may give a slightly better ride quality on uneven pavement, however significantly higher threadwear rating likely means harder rubber and less traction. The original 422s are barely adequate in turns, I wouldn't want to sacrifice any additional traction for other marginal benefits.

Good points! Though it is also worth considering the plus's better weight rating. Is there any history of Leaf tires blowing out? If not, then I think your traction point would be the winning approach. But tire failure at speed is extremely dangerous so if the plus is more durable, that may warrant serious consideration. But I don't know the history of the tires and if there has been any problems.

Valdemar said:

I replaced the OEM tires with the EP422+ and I have not noticed anything like this. They ride and handle just like the OEMs did.

TomT said:
Sorry, but I have to ask: Why would anyone buy tires at a dealer? Poor service and high prices come to mind...

Because people seem to be under the incorrect impression that service must be done at a dealer. The dealer is the *last* place I would go for out-of-warranty service.

kubel said:
TomT said:
Sorry, but I have to ask: Why would anyone buy tires at a dealer? Poor service and high prices come to mind...

Because people seem to be under the incorrect impression that service must be done at a dealer. The dealer is the *last* place I would go for out-of-warranty service.

Although I've seen my share of shoddy work done by dealers I take my cars to dealers I trust for major maintenance. Gives me some peace of mind and also increases the resale value somewhat as dealer maintenance records seem to impress many potential used car buyers. Out-of-warranty repairs - usually at independent places but it depends what needs to be done, regular oil changes - only if I'm super lazy to do it myself and I need a free carwash. But buy tires from a dealer? Never.

Back