Toyo nanoenergy tyres

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulhome

Has anyone had any experience with Toyo Nanoenergy tyres?
I have bought a set of 17" Juke rims, and I was going to put Michelin Energy tyres on them, but I then saw that these new Toyo tyres have 'A' rated rolling resistance (EU rating).
I would welcome any thoughts or recommendations.

I've had good luck with Toyo tires on my other cars. I too would be interested in seeing how these stack up against Ecopias and Michelin's offerings. Can they be purchased in the U.S.?

Edit: Since you used the "tyres" spelling, I am guessing you might be from the other side of the pond, where they are available. ;)

uwskier20 said:
Edit: Since you used the "tyres" spelling, I am guessing you might be from the other side of the pond, where they are available. ;)

Ahh yes, I am from England. I am amazed that they don't seem to be available in the USA! If I get some then I will post my experiences.

paulhome said:
uwskier20 said:

Ahh yes, I am from England. I am amazed that they don't seem to be available in the USA! If I get some then I will post my experiences.

How much $$ do these go for compared to Ecopias or the other popular alternate Michelin used by fellow Leaders?

AFAIK: These aren't a standard size for UK Leafies, so this would likely be regarded as a 'modification' for insurance purposes. You should be cautious to pick such a size. If you stick to the same standard 17" tyre [correct spelling!! ;) ] size for the 'Tekna' model then it would seem reasonably arguable to me that it is not a modification (though some Insurance Companies regard any change of rim as a modification).

Your results will be a little meaningless in regards whether Toyo do better tyres or not (than whatever Nissan are currently/will be using), because you've also changed the aerodynamics of the tyre cross section and the aero-performance of the rims. That being said, none of the Leaf rims in the UK look particularly well designed, to me, to minimise drag (low drag rims tend to have just a few large flat areas making up the rim, but none of the UK options appear to have this characteristic).

FWIW, I'm not familiar with the tread pattern currently showing on the tyres in the UK Leaf sales brochures, it doesn't match any current, obvious choice I'm aware of. Renault have used Goodyear 'EfficientGrip' in Europe before for their ZE range, maybe Nissan might do/plan to do likewise?

A tire engineer I know talks about the 3 sides of tire design--tread life, traction, and rolling resistance. If you increase one, you must decrease one or two others. More traction likely comes from higher rolling resistance and shorter tread life. Lower rolling resistance likely comes from reduced traction, etc. The newest rubber compounds and perhaps other improvements in the tire design can improve things, but at higher cost. The tough thing for we consumers is that we don't know when a new Low Rolling Resistance tire is developed from new inventions or from taking away other important attributes of the tires. Only the engineers and the marketing department knows that.

I am aware that its not a standard size. I find it irritating that an insurance company would make a fuss about this, especially as the standard tyres are so poor.
Anyway, I am concerned about reports that the Michelin (not the energy model) have higher rolling resistance than the Bridgestone tyres.
I saw a 2013 car the other day and it had Dunlop 17" tyres on it.

Back