Traction Battery Capacity down to 9 bars Anyone else?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricfuture

Yesterday at 36,000 miles the traction battery meter (far right white bars) dropped to 9 bars on my almost 3 year old 2011 Leaf driving in the mild San Diego climate. The range has dropped to less than 60 miles city/highway requiring frequent charging including the use of a nearby fast charger several times - all of which I am sure will increase battery degradation.

I don't think there is any chance the battery will stay above the warranty of 8 bars for another 23,000 miles or 2 more years.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I also live in San Diego; charge mainly to 80%, park in the shade pretty often...27,000 miles on my 2011 (purchased in January 2011)...Lost first bar earlier this year...

Did either of you have the software update (P3227 software update to improve accuracy of battery capacity gauge) applied to your LEAFs.
I have also loss 3 bars and feel that the application of the software update "delayed" the dropping of the 4th bar.

I think you're the first San Diego LEAF to lose 3 bars. Do you have the P3227 update? Where exactly in San Diego are you? Looking at the bright side, you will probably lose the 4th bar by the end of summer.

My LEAF is down 1 bar since end of last summer, though not far from the 2nd. If driving mostly freeway at 65 mph (low 4.x mi/kWh) , LBW comes on around 55 miles. Used to be able to get 70! Big difference in San Diego when traveling from one end of the county to the other is around 25-30 miles one way.

I have had the software upgrade and quit honestly am relieved to see bar 10 disappear as I too felt that the new software would delay this - and may have. I am in the Rancho Penasquitos area. Car is garage kept and I have been charging to 100% for over a year due to range limitations.

I had the battery tested with the full printout of each cell a year ago which showed 2 cells near "minimum specifications", but when they re-tested this year all cells were comfortably within specifications. I asked how this could be and was told that the test only shows the battery strength for the moment of testing and can vary even in the course of a day.

electricfuture said:
Yesterday at 36,000 miles the traction battery meter (far right white bars) dropped to 9 bars on my almost 3 year old 2011 Leaf driving in the mild San Diego climate. The range has dropped to less than 60 miles city/highway requiring frequent charging including the use of a nearby fast charger several times - all of which I am sure will increase battery degradation.

I don't think there is any chance the battery will stay above the warranty of 8 bars for another 23,000 miles or 2 more years.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I am wondering if you lost "3 bars" or "1 bar". Do you have 9 white bars remaining or 7 white bars?

Me thinks Nissan will probably have to replace all 2011 and 2012 batteries for them to avoid a lawsuit from those who decided to skip their 1st lawsuit.... any updates on that?

Getting close. Every morning I go out to the car expecting bar 10 to be gone. But like myleaf, I lost bar 12 in June (though June of 2013, not 2012), so I have every expectation that I'll loose it no later than June this year.

myleaf said:
Did either of you have the software update (P3227 software update to improve accuracy of battery capacity gauge) applied to your LEAFs.
I have also loss 3 bars and feel that the application of the software update "delayed" the dropping of the 4th bar.
This is WHY I've avoided the update
;)

hill said:
This is WHY I've avoided the update
;)

Also not taking the update until I'm made to (as part of the capacity loss verification process). Chances of my 9th bar coming back are pretty slim, particularly if I put it off for a few weeks once it's gone. Unless they reset and take me back to 12 bars, that is. But the main reason for me is that I don't want the update cocking up my regen! :x

In an earlier post where I thought capacity bars were coming back fellow contributors and Nissan assured me that once a bar is gone it cannot come back - but I am watching closely!

Back