TurboCord compact dual-voltage EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
Nice compact EVSE just hit the shelves. Available in 240v dedicated and dual 120v/240v versions ($50 difference between the two). Starts at $599 for the 240v dedicated version:

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/turbocord" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

41e2zRl9K4L.jpg

Interesting. So you can use a regular 5-15 or 5-20 outlet on 120V, or a 6-20 outlet on 240V.

I wonder how heavy the brick is and how hard it tugs on the outlet. Seems like it should be fairly well supported, but would like to see the cord exit the bottom of the brick somewhere on the base so there's less leverage on the outlet.

Neat design - one can see how one of these could eventually be made and sold just just a couple hundred bucks or less with higher production levels.

Edit: I also note that it includes overheating detection and will shut down automatically. Nice safety feature.

I've often wondered what the price breakdown is to arrive at $600 for something, comparatively speaking, is far simpler than the complex laptop I'm using for the same price. I'm sure it's all padded with research and development, but the parts can't be even cost half that. I'm waiting for these to be $199 in 2 years, then I'll get one for everyplace I drive regularly.

RePo said:
I've often wondered what the price breakdown is to arrive at $600 for something, comparatively speaking, is far simpler than the complex laptop I'm using for the same price. I'm sure it's all padded with research and development, but the parts can't be even cost half that. I'm waiting for these to be $199 in 2 years, then I'll get one for everyplace I drive regularly.
Well, all that copper sets a fairly high floor on cost, but the real problem is the lack of volume. There just aren't that many electric car owners to market to when it comes down to it. How many of these can they expect to sell in the next couple of years? 10-20,000? Less? When these are sold by the hundreds of thousands, then we'll see the price come down quickly.

I can't say I care for the plug choice. I'd have rather seen a locking type. Also, since the format is so small, people are going to want to carry them around. They really should consider expanding the adapter choices, although folks could fairly easily make their own adapters for dryer outlets and RV parks.

AV Website says definitely limited to 16 amps... so no problem for plug in hybrids and LEAF still only running 3.3amps.

Odd socket is a legit type but not common in homes. Definitely agree with more adapters needed to make it a swiss army knife of EVSE.

Like the size and temp sensor for safety.

Great for homes that have expensive upgrades to panel to support EVSE.

Nice addition to the fleet. Be a good one for Nissan to bundle with base model cars. Bundle the Cripple Creek or EVupgrade for the upgraded 6.6kW cars. Bundle120 volt only seems cheap, especially for charger upgraded vehicles. At least make it an option.

That's-a-vera-nice-a. Just need to get the price down; can't believe it cost them more to make this than the 16A Bosch.

Here, http://investor.avinc.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=822148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it says its waterproof, all weather rated, and less than 5 lbs total.

In the user guide warnings section it says: Never use with an extension cord or any AC adaptor.

An adaptor would make it less stable on the outlet, wouldn't sit flat on the wall?

Don't think it would fit into a covered outdoor "in-use" outlet. Advantage EVSE Upgrade.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
In the user guide warnings section it says: Never use with an extension cord or any AC adaptor.

An adaptor would make it less stable on the outlet, wouldn't sit flat on the wall? ...
As does every manual for every other EVSE, including the one with the Nissan EVSE that Phil modifies for use with adapters. A pigtail style adapter should work just fine, although as I said, I would prefer a locking type plug. Even better would be adapters made for the unit by the manufacturer.

jsongster said:
AV Website says definitely limited to 16 amps... so no problem for plug in hybrids and LEAF still only running 3.3amps.

Leaf 3.3 is 3.3 KW not amps.

LEAF 3.3KW on 120v requires 30.2 amps max (not gonna happen, you might see the odd 30amp circuit but that is only good for 24 amp charging)
LEAF 3.3KW on 208v requires 17.5 amps max (needs a 30 amp circuit to max out safely)
LEAF 3.3KW on 240v requires 15.1 amps max (20 amp circuit is fine)

So this unit can charge at the full rate for 3.3KW charger leafs on 240v and nearly the full rate on 208v assuming you can plug it in to the socket available and assuming the circuit is rated for enough amps.

for 6.6KW charger leafs you need

LEAF 6.6KW on 120v requires 55 amps max (not gonna happen)
LEAF 6.6KW on 208v requires 31.7 amps max (40 amp circuit needed to max out safely)
LEAF 6.6KW on 240v requires 27.5 amps max (40 amp circuit needed to max out safely)

assuming down the road there is a 7.2KW or 9.6KW (10KW) charger in a later leaf we are looking at

LEAF 7.2KW on 208v requires 34.6 amps max (50 amp circuit needed to max out safely)
LEAF 7.2KW on 240v requires 30 amps max (40 amp circuit needed to max out safely)

LEAF 9.6KW on 208v requires 46.2 amps max (60 amp circuit needed to max out safely)
LEAF 9.6KW on 240v requires 40 amps max (50 amp circuit needed to max out safely)

dhanson865 said:

LEAF 3.3KW on 120v requires 30.2 amps max (not gonna happen, you might see the odd 30amp circuit but that is only good for 24 amp charging)
LEAF 6.6KW on 120v requires 55 amps max (not gonna happen) ...
The LEAF is limited to 12a @ 120v (1.4kW) no matter how much the EVSE claims to be able to supply.

davewill said:
dhanson865 said:

LEAF 6.6KW on 120v requires 55 amps max (not gonna happen) ...
The LEAF is limited to 12a @ 120v (1.4kW) no matter how much the EVSE claims to be able to supply.

I did say "not gonna happen". I just tossed the numbers out there to help the prior poster understand that 3.3KW and 3.3 amps are not anywhere near the same thing.

dhanson865 said:
I did say "not gonna happen". I just tossed the numbers out there to help the prior poster understand that 3.3KW and 3.3 amps are not anywhere near the same thing.
Sure, but it could have been read that the limit was only the circuit, not the car.

I think that the ability to switch from 240- 120 is pretty cool.

Check out
http://www.AVEV101.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you take the EV challenge AV is offering a deal on their charger or installation package.

jsongster said:
3.3amps.... oops...typo... got it.

Loved the nums up to 9.6kW... come on Nissan... even more options...

Our JESLA version of the Tesla UMC uses any voltage from 100 - 250 volts, and 12, 16, 24 and 40 amps with the appropriate $45 adaptor.

When you attach the respective Tesla $45 plug, the UMC will automatically provide the following amperage:

..........................................VOLTS / AMPS.....kW
NEMA 5-15 .......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel air conditioner 120/16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers..... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 6-50 .......Welding Equip.... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW
NEMA 14-50......RVs and Camps.. 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW

Miles Gained per Hour Charging @ 87.5% charger efficiency
70F Ambient temperature - colder will decrease miles gained

------------ Amps/Volts -- Where ------- 2.7 miles/kWh - 3.4 miles/kWh

NEMA 5-15 - 12 / 120 ------- Any ------ 2.8 miles ------ 3.5 miles (North American wall socket)
NEMA 5-20 - 16 / 120 ------ Motels ---- 4.5 miles ------ 5.7 miles (motel air conditioners)
NEMA 10-30- 24 / 240 ------ Home ---- 13.6 miles ----- 17.7 miles (old style dryer outlet)
NEMA 14-30- 24 / 240 ------ Home ---- 13.6 miles ----- 17.7 miles (new style dryer outlet)
J1772 ------- 30 / 208 ------ Public ---- 14.8 miles ----- 18.7 miles (typical public J1772)
J1772 ------- 30 / 240 ------ Home ---- 17.1 miles ----- 21.6 miles (rare 240 volt public J1772)
NEMA 6-50 -- 40 / 240 ------ Home ---- 22.7 miles ----- 28.5 miles (welder outlet)
NEMA 14-50- 40 / 240 ------ Home ---- 22.7 miles ----- 28.5 miles (RV park "50 amp service")

IMG_2145.jpg

jsongster said:
Odd socket is a legit type but not common in homes. Definitely agree with more adapters needed to make it a swiss army knife of EVSE.

Like the size and temp sensor for safety.

Great for homes that have expensive upgrades to panel to support EVSE.
Yeah, I've never really followed all the different outlet types but it does seem that NEMA 6-20 is a weird beast. Is is actually common/uncommon in homes?

I see it listed at http://evseupgrade.com/images/categories/outlet-types.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but Tesla doesn't even list it at http://www.teslamotors.com/charging#/outlet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; under Outlet Charging > Adapter Guide.

But yeah, I guess if one only has room for a 20 amp circuit at home, getting such an outlet installed and using this would be a lot better than charging at 12 amps @ 120 volts.

Yeah, if they only provided more adapters and also supported higher amperages.

cwerdna said:
Yeah, I've never really followed all the different outlet types but it does seem that NEMA 6-20 is a weird beast. Is is actually common/uncommon in homes?
Mom's house has a 6-20 connector for the central vacuum.
Not very common in residential unless you have specific equipment.

Back