TurboCord compact dual-voltage EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one that my Microwave oven/range hood is plugged into. My home is fairly modern... built in 1989 or so...

The benefit of it would be for folks who have an old home with most of the panel capacity used up... I would think most of them could get a 240v16Amp to squeeze in if that were available.... Or unplug their dryer at night and plug in there.

cwerdna said:
jsongster said:
Odd socket is a legit type but not common in homes. Definitely agree with more adapters needed to make it a swiss army knife of EVSE.

Like the size and temp sensor for safety.

Great for homes that have expensive upgrades to panel to support EVSE.
Yeah, I've never really followed all the different outlet types but it does seem that NEMA 6-20 is a weird beast. Is is actually common/uncommon in homes?

I see it listed at http://evseupgrade.com/images/categories/outlet-types.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but Tesla doesn't even list it at http://www.teslamotors.com/charging#/outlet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; under Outlet Charging > Adapter Guide.

But yeah, I guess if one only has room for a 20 amp circuit at home, getting such an outlet installed and using this would be a lot better than charging at 12 amps @ 120 volts.

Yeah, if they only provided more adapters and also supported higher amperages.

It's pretty easy to convert a 30Amp dryer outlet to the NEMA 6-20R Receptacle for this unit, simply replace the outlet and the 30Amp circuit breaker with a 20Amp 2-Pole. I'm debating about getting one for my LEAF.

If you have a 30 amp... get the evse upgrade... use your 30 amp... why down grade the power connection or not take full advantage of your on board charger? Am I missing something?

Just got my 240V-only TurboCord and I really like how portable it is. I do have a 30Amp circuit so maybe I'll trade up to a faster charger at some point.

The TurboCord runs fairly cool at 45C.

IR_0079.jpg

Personal observations:
1) There appears to be a reluctance among EV equipment makers to risk using 120v NEMA 5-20 receptacles at 16a (probably because there exists an unacceptable number of them wired incorrectly with 14 AWG wire).
2) I suspect that since the straight blade NEMA 6-20 plug is used instead of a twist lock one, it was decided that it is a better choice (perhaps because it is unlikely to damage the receptacle if pulled out forcefully) and, like the NEMA 6-50 plug, I suspect it likely will become something of a standard by most 16a 240v EVSE manufacturers.
3) An existing (very preferably dedicated) 120v 20a outlet (using standard 12/2 cable) can often be quickly converted to a 6-20 single outlet for this purpose without replacing the wiring (re-purpose the neutral wire as the second hot wire), assuming your panel has the breaker space (usually to replace the single 20a 120v breaker with a double 20a 240v breaker). The drawback, of course, is that receptacle is no longer available as a standard (usually duplex) outlet.
4) The NEMA 6-20 receptacle looks to me like a near left/right mirror image of the NEMA 5-20 receptacle, which means that they will often be mistaken for one another (especially since there is not a standard top-or-bottom orientation for the equipment ground). To partly counter this, I suggest one always uses the single outlet version (required to be dedicated by NEC code for EVSE use anyway, I believe) and not a duplex outlet version.
5) I hope that GFCI versions of NEMA 6-20 single outlet receptacles will soon become available to buy (at low cost), since the only other alternative (240v 20a GFCI breakers) are relatively expensive. (Be aware that whatever GFI protection an EVSE has only protects the coupler connection, not the plug connection). This is the main advantage that a direct wired EVSE has over cord and plug connected ones -- no additional GFCI circuit protection is needed (which may be subject to nuisance tripping and failure over time).
6) IMHO the thermal protection this EVSE has is a definite important step forward. Adequate protection for overheating needs to be required for all future cord and plug EVSEs.

All these half ass solutions are bad for the cause. Run a heavy gauge hunk of romex from the panel to a hard wired evse and be done with it. None of the other heavy loads in your house are cobbled up with this sort of nonsense.
JMO

LTLFTcomposite: I would certainly agree that Plan A should be installing a 240v hardwired EVSE to a dedicated circuit for the safest and most straight forward solution for routine nightly charging. One tricky decision can be what amperage it should be -- 16a or 30a (or higher). It is a common problem for people to have insufficient excess power capacity, insufficient free breaker space, and/or wiring problems such as make-do wiring methods of dubious safety -- all of which can be expensive to upgrade. Most EV owner's average daily needs are met by a 16a EVSE charging overnight, so I would recommend thinking conservatively first even if you have no real issues with installing a single 30a EVSE -- suppose you want to get a 2nd EV before too long, and even another?

Looking ahead, eventually there should be sufficient fast DC charging stations available in enough near enough places to provide power when one needs to charge two or more times a day quickly.

In any case, if you are having to run new wiring for a dedicated EVSE circuit, and especially if it is expensive because of length and/or other labor issues, I would agree with LTLFTcomposite to think ahead and run wire sufficient for a 30a EVSE -- usually 8 AWG. It is hard for me to imagine that many EV owners really need 6 AWG (or thicker), but your needs might be exceptional.

Some people have a true need for a portable EVSE, such as perhaps as a backup EVSE, and for them the TurboCord may currently meet their needs the best. I would not be surprised if similar (and even "better") choices become available in the next few years.

MikeD said:
Some people have a true need for a portable EVSE, such as perhaps as a backup EVSE, and for them the TurboCord may currently meet their needs the best. I would not be surprised if similar (and even "better") choices become available in the next few years.

I don't think you need to wait a few years for something better.

IMG_2145.jpg

JESLAttm, the J1772 portable charging solution, 100-250 volts, 12-40 amps continuous.

When you attach the respective $45 plug, the JESLA will automatically provide the following amperage up to the maximum amps of your car's onboard charger:

............................................VOLTS / AMPS.......kW
NEMA 5-15 .......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel air conditioner 120/16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers..... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 6-50 .......Welding Equip.... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW
NEMA 14-50......RVs and Camps.. 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW

Just got the new dual turbo cord and I am already regretting it. As far as portable is concerned the only thing you will more then likely ever use is the 120v option since there is literally nowhere on planet earth that has the nema 6-20 240v outlet. At least as far as R.V. Parks and o yeah that's pretty much it if your heading out. What can I say I should have researched the availability of the outlet before I purchased the charger. Still not bad for a in home charger.

Hanna said:
... there is literally nowhere on planet earth that has the nema 6-20 240v outlet. At least as far as R.V. Parks and o yeah that's pretty much it if your heading out. ...
So make a 6-20 to 14-50 adapter. All the parts you need are at the local hardware store.

Hanna said:
Is that possible ( amperage wise ).
Sure. The TurboCord will still run at 16a, which is well inside the capacity of a 14-50 outlet. Connect the two hots (X and Y in the 14-50 diagram) each to one of the flat blades in the 6-20, (polarity is not important), and Ground to Ground. You can leave the neutral (W) in the 14-50 plug unconnected. If you remove the neutral pin altogether, (a lot of the plugs you buy at the hardware store are combo 14-30/50/60 plugs that have movable pins) it will also plug into a 14-30. Very handy.

NEMA 6-20
NEMA-6-20.png

NEMA 14-50
NEMA-14-50.png

NEMA 14-30
NEMA-14-30.png

Hanna said:
Just got the new dual turbo cord and I am already regretting it. As far as portable is concerned the only thing you will more then likely ever use is the 120v option since there is literally nowhere on planet earth that has the nema 6-20 240v outlet. At least as far as R.V. Parks and o yeah that's pretty much it if your heading out. What can I say I should have researched the availability of the outlet before I purchased the charger. Still not bad for a in home charger.
Motel AC/"heaters".

TonyWilliams said:
the J1772 portable charging solution, 100-250 volts, 12-40 amps continuous.

When you attach the respective $45 plug, the JESLA will automatically provide the following amperage up to the maximum amps of your car's onboard charger:

............................................VOLTS / AMPS.......kW
NEMA 5-15 .......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel air conditioner 120/16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers..... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 6-50 .......Welding Equip.... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW
NEMA 14-50......RVs and Camps.. 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW

My home came prewired wired with a 10-50 outlet on a 40a breaker (#8 wire) specifically for EV charging as part of city code requirements.
I changed the connector to 14-50 for other reasons but still use for EV charging. Your 14-50 adapter would run this circuit a little on the warm side. Possibly an alternative 32a max adapter should be available on request.

Even though the 6-50 and 14-50 above show max of 9.6kw, doesn't our on-board charger limit the charge to only 6.6kw? In this case the current limit is 27.5 amps. (Or is my thinking wrong???)

Graffi said:
Even though the 6-50 and 14-50 above show max of 9.6kw, doesn't our on-board charger limit the charge to only 6.6kw? In this case the current limit is 27.5 amps. (Or is my thinking wrong???)
As long as you are driving a LEAF you are correct.

Hanna said:
Is that possible ( amperage wise ).

Yes,

You can use this adapter below made for the Turbo Cord: (http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And use any of these 240v adapters for the outlet you need:

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=index&cPath=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Graffi said:

Maybe this post would help you compare?

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/24799-Older-Tesla-s-limited-to-90kW-super-charging/page74?p=537933&viewfull=1#post537933" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and of course Tony did say "up to the maximum amps of your car's onboard charger"

TonyWilliams said:
MikeD said:

I don't think you need to wait a few years for something better.

How much does JESLA cost? Does it work with the Leaf?

Back