Turning heater on when powertrain is off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nogood

Hi all.
I just bought a 2016 SV Leaf and love it so far :). However, we live in Canada and have a need for keeping the car warm from time to time. Does you Leaf allow you to press the start button twice to "ON" (no brake pedal) and the climate control then heats up the car? I'd rather not turn the car on fully when my kids are in it waiting, but all that comes out is ice-cold air even when I press "heater on" :/.

Help appreciated :).

You have to have the car in Ready mode, or use the climate control timer, to get heat while in the car. You can also use the remote access feature to run the heat with the powertrain off.

Either using preheating (limited to 15 minutes if not plugged in) or double press without pedal and charging (not only plugged in but also charging).

Just set the timer for 1 minute after you leave.

I would use footbrake for some extra security. It is not that easy to disengage by a 4 year old. How old are they?

In my LEAF S, I leave the car plugged in and press the Timer Cancel button. This causes the blue lights to blink on the dash. I can then "start" the car (holding down the brake and pressing Start/Stop) with the charger attached and turn on the heater or A/C. The car cannot be driven with the charger attached, so there is no concern about one of my kids somehow putting the car in drive or reverse.

You don't say why you don't want the car in "ready" mode just to run the heater, but assuming you're away from your EVSE and worried about running down the battery, stop worrying. The car uses negligible power when not moving, except for the HVAC systems. The only noticeable power usage will come from the heater, or the AC in summer. If you want to minimize power drain, turn on the seat heaters and lower the temperature on the heater.

Thanks all. I was mainly worried that leaving kids in the car could lead to someone playing on the front seat and the car taking off. Good to know that the heater works with two presses but only if charging. Thanks for all your replies!

Back