Unexplained alarm

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

Today my Leaf's alarm started sounding in the garage for no reason that I can figure out. It was unlocked so the security system wasn't set. My wife had been in the garage maybe 30 seconds to a minute earlier putting a bag of birdseed on a shelf, but the bag was still in place and she swears she never touched the car. It doesn't go off anyway when you shove it or touch it. Our cat jumps on it all the time to get into the attic area with no alarm. It's a locked garage so no one else was in there.

I read through the thread about tight pants and the panic button on the fob, but I don't think that's it. I did have the fob in my pocket, but I was in the other end of the house sitting on a chair at my computer wearing loose pants. This is no different from the way it is most days over the last year, and no alarm has ever sounded before. I stood up and asked my wife whether it was her car (in the driveway) or the Leaf and we agreed it was the Leaf so I headed for the garage. As I approached the door I could see the light going on and off under the door, so the headlights were flashing. Just as I opened the door into the garage the beeping stopped, but I had not pressed any buttons, and I didn't squat, bend or otherwise do anything that would push a button on the fob that I can tell. The Leaf was still plugged in from overnight since neither of us had used it yet, although it had charged to its usual 80% by 2:30 AM or so. The Blink unit showed nothing. I got in the car (it was unlocked) turned it on and saw no warnings other than the the seat belt one. When I buckled up and released the parking brake the red warning triangle went dark as usual. I looked at the manual and don't see anything else that should set off the horn alarm by searching the word alarm, but maybe it's there under something else. Low battery warning or some safety system maybe? Any similar stories? Theories? :shock:

I forgot to mention that I asked my wife if she had her fob in her pocket. She didn't. It was in her purse on the floor of the living room when the alarm went off. She was in a different room, not shoving something into the purse, either.

Back