Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a screenshot of the first test version that shows DTCs from my Leaf. Currently limited to one DTC per ECU.

fvcq.png

Version 0.26n3 is ready for testing.

Features
* Supports reading and displaying DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).

Please post your screenshots if you have any DTCs. I am looking for DTCs from the EV/HEV ECU. These are displayed in a special format just for debug. There will be two lines labeled "EV/HEV". If you have any I need to know all the characters on the two lines and also will need an ELM Trace. (Be sure to enable ELM Trace then exit and restart app for tracing to start.)

lewp.png

The meaning of the two additional bytes returned with each DTC is not know so I have included them after the DTC to see if we can find a pattern.

Version 0.26n4 is up for testing. It replaces n3.

Features/Fixes
* Fix bug where special EV/HEV debug data would get extra lines.
* If you tap the DTC list it will go into a Full Screen mode with larger Font and space to show more DTCs

Please use the Full Screen mode when you take screenshots so there will be a better chance I can read them.

Still need a good DTC list showing EV/HEV debug data (these are not real DTCs just the raw frame data).

xf1i.png

I have this.

xbu4.th.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img845/8971/xbu4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can send the matching log file if it is what you are looking for.

palmermd said:
I have this.

xbu4.th.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img845/8971/xbu4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can send the matching log file if it is what you are looking for.
The picture is enought. Have you ever had the PTC heater disconnected to keep it from going on? That seems to be what the DTCs are saying?

Turbo3 said:
The picture is enought. Have you ever had the PTC heater disconnected to keep it from going on? That seems to be what the DTCs are saying?

yes, that is what I did the last two winters (actually it is disabled in the summer and i re-enable it on the coldest days of winter...not many days around here). I have a button on the dash that I can disable the heater, but it leaves the rest of the climate control functional. It is a poor mans version of Phil's modded climate control upgrade. I made my mod before Phil's was available or I'd have just done his mod.

Does your warning light stay on all the time when you do it? I will be including the ability to clear DTC from a selected ECU like the Heating/AC one. You sound like a good person to test it out and see if it clears these DTCs.

Actually I need a sample of an active DTC. That is one that just came on. Perhaps you could plug drive then unplug to get the error light to come on and then see if the second set of bytes after the DTC have different values.

On v0.26n2 the odometer is in miles when the selected units are metric.

I also have a problem with a new mini elm327 that gets stucked in Retry Leaf 14.

The light never comes on with this event. I was quite interested to see if I had the codes when you indicated that the app would read them. At least now I know for sure that pressing the disable button sets the code. Now if I can get them cleared before taking it to the dealer, they will never know I disabled it. Sorry I cant help with clearing a DTC that sets off an indicator, but I can probably set the code at will after resetting.

vegastar said:
On v0.26n2 the odometer is in miles when the selected units are metric.

I also have a problem with a new mini elm327 that gets stucked in Retry Leaf 14.
I will fix the odometer to read km on the next version. Thanks for reporting that problem.

For the ELM327 problem I would need an ELM Trace to see what is going on. Enable Trace ELM, exit app then restart app. After about 10 seconds of the hang in state 14 exit app and send me the TRCdata.txt file.

I posted about my "battery heath" concern in the data thread, but here's another issue I thought of...

I think the "device compatibility" list is a bit... obsolete, so to speak? The app should run on any Android device with Bluetooth capability, period, no compatibility list needed... and the hardware/"requirements" list in the Wiki is a bit intimidating/daunting to newcomers even though the usage and requirements of the app are very simple.

May I recommend gutting/cleaning the Wiki article of such potentially confusing information? It served a purpose in the earlier development when the app was more unstable, but now the app seems to be mature enough to not need such verbose requirements/setup info. The $15 stubby BT adapter I've got works extremely well - even while sitting on my bed, I can get real-time info from the car as if I was sitting in it, while it charges in the driveway below me outside. Maybe these sections can be cleaned up and consolidated mostly into "usage" information and explaining/discussing the various pieces of data, and less explanation about hardware requirements since those requirements are now very, very broad and basic. Just any Android device with Bluetooth (pretty much any device on the market today), plus a Bluetooth OBDII adapter off Amazon - and you're good to go. :cool:

Thoughts? I know it's a big change I'm talking about here, but personally, I think this app is rock solid. :D

At the very least, I'd like to add my Galaxy Tab II 7.0" as a confirmed "working very well" device to the list. No strings attached, it just works perfectly. :cool:

Not all, even seemingly identical, ELM devices work well.

Also, there is no Bluetooth on some Android devices, and
some devices (and OS levels), work better and others do not.

So, the simple"any Android", and "any ELM327 type device"
is somewhat misleading.

Turbo3 said:
Actually I need a sample of an active DTC. That is one that just came on. Perhaps you could plug drive then unplug to get the error light to come on and then see if the second set of bytes after the DTC have different values.

after re-triggering the dtc. Still no error lights or any visible sign to the driver. Added one to the error count.

palmermd said:
Turbo3 said:

after re-triggering the dtc. Still no error lights or any visible sign to the driver. Added one to the error count.

Actually two of them with to "9" from "8" so I think that means a current DTC instead of a past one. I don't think it is a counter. But try it again and see if it increments.

Version 0.26n5 is up for testing.

Features/Fixes
* Odometer will read in km if metric units selected.
* Added text descriptions to BCM and CHARGER DTCs

To see all of the discription switch to Landscape and tap to go into Full Screen mode.

Gary how about testing this new version with a Leaf that has been mini QC'd to see what DTCs you get? If you do post here what you get.

g5nx.png

Back