Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
Tony, Please make a separate topic if you wish to discuss VINs. As you correctly noted the UK format does not seem to match what we use in the US. So no reason to post the entire US format here.

I was trying to decode the specific code to the VIN provided to help understand why things didn't match. I edited out the quoted descriptions of the VIN.

The VIN is not a US format. It actually doesn't follow the world wide format from Nissan. I even listed all the worldwide Nissan manufacturing plants, which it doesn't follow either. It might be valuable information when trying to figure out why is doesn't work in the app.

I'll requote this part, since according to the VIN, it wasn't even built by Nissan.

0 = Manufacture plant ?? doesn't exist again!!!

C Smyrna, Tennessee, USA
L Aguas Calientes, Mexico
M Tochigi, Japan
N Canton, Mississippi, USA
T Tochigi, Japan
T Oppama, Japan
W Kyushyu, Japan

TonyWilliams said:
Turbo3 said:
The VIN is not a US format. It actually doesn't follow the world wide format from Nissan. I even listed all the worldwide Nissan manufacturing plants, which it doesn't follow either. It might be valuable information when trying to figure out why is doesn't work in the app.
Thanks for editing out the extra information.

However, his UK Leaf works fine with the app. I just was not expecting it to dump all the DTCs because it was a 2013 Leaf and he was using version "n6". Version "n7" had a fix for 2013 Leafs to dump all DTCs but since his 2013 UK Leaf still had the Electronic Parking Brake is was not needed.

I will probably change the app to not look at the VIN for year information since that does not appear to be a good indication of manual or electronic parking brake. I will just change the app to not retry DTC requests. If it gets a response fine if not it will move on to the next ECU.

"... change the app to not retry DTC requests"

Well, nothing should retry forever, and keep the application
from continuing. Perhaps any try should be limited to
1 or 2 retries?

You would need that in any case, if a ECU is un-responsive,
or missing entirely (as is the TCU in one car I know), ... right?

So, when you go to the dealer to complain about a problem with the car, do you tell them the trouble codes you found on your own? Or does this raise too many "Red flags" and make them think you've messed with the car or somehow voided the warranty?

I keep getting charging faults and when I reported it to the dealer last time they said there was no trouble code. With the latest version of Leaf Battery app I have the codes but I'm afraid if I mention it to them it will get me in trouble.

kevinleaf said:
With the latest version of Leaf Battery app I have the codes but I'm afraid if I mention it to them it will get me in trouble.
A car maker cannot void the warranty because someone had plugged in diagnostic equipment into the diagnostic port. Not all the diagnostic tools on the market are commissioned or endorsed by the manufacturer.

kevinleaf said:
So, when you go to the dealer to complain about a problem with the car, do you tell them the trouble codes you found on your own? Or does this raise too many "Red flags" and make them think you've messed with the car or somehow voided the warranty?

I keep getting charging faults and when I reported it to the dealer last time they said there was no trouble code. With the latest version of Leaf Battery app I have the codes but I'm afraid if I mention it to them it will get me in trouble.
The app shows all the DTCs but there is some filtering that Nissan's software does with the list. Also most DTCs are marked as "Past" and so are not currently active. There is also Freeze Frame Data that may also be used to filter out DTCs.

I would ask for the Computer Diagnostic report. It will have the outline of the Leaf showing the various systems with check marks for all the systems that pass and a list of DTCs at the bottom. Then you can match it up with the app's list.

We are in the early stages of understand how to use the level of DTCs the app provides. So I would not make too big a deal out of it with the service department until we get more data. I would be most interest to see which if any DTCs the report lists versus what the app lists. Also a before and after app list to see if anything has changed which would indicate they reset the DTCs.

Turbo3 said:
vegastar said:
I did the procedure and the app said tracing ELM at the bottom, but after exiting the app in LEAF_BT_CAN I can only see the file BatLog.txt.
Look again in the LEAF_BT_CAN folder. It can take a little while before Android updates the directory with the new file name.

File sent.

I have the following trouble codes. All inactive.

U1000 0008 HVAC CAN Comm Circuit
B2790 0008 HVAC Heater Pump Comm H/P->HVAC HAC-107
U1300 0108 MULTI AV AV Comm Circuit AV-93
U1240 0208 MULTI AV Switch Conn AV-93
U1000 0108 MULTI AV CAN Comm Circuit

I am trying the tire registration over the weekend.

Might be important to note that the DTC reading only works when the car's fully "ON"... I tried reading it a few nights ago while the car was charging (and I was indoors, barely at the edge of the Bluetooth range), and it just locked up the app each time I tried to read it. Definitely a good idea to stop retrying after one or two time-outs, as apparently the systems it was looking for a response from weren't running, and the app was otherwise functional until it hung up trying to read that info. Odometer information also didn't show up ("0 miles")

Once I tried the app while in the running car, it read the codes just fine - 4 events for what appeared to be tire pressure and one for the Nav system "USB overcurrent" (which also makes sense). I had the car running while having the tires re-inflated with nitrogen about a month ago, and was amused how it freaked out and started flashing the hazards when the tires were fully deflated! So it must've stored that event in there too. Very cool.

Version 0.26n8 is up for testing

Features
* Merges both ways of reading EV/HEV DTCs into the app
* VIN is no longer used to determine model year
* Reading DTCs does not retry any ECU that fails to respond
* ELM Trace includes timestamp in file name so you do not need to delete an old trace before taking a new one. Trace name is now TRC_yymmddhhmm.TXT

Version 0.26n9 is up for testing.

Features
* New Service selection Menu
* New Door Lock/Unlock settings screen

Clearing DTCs is not currently supported.

gkuq.png

lcgl.png

It is not clear what if anything the first option (Lock/Unlock) does.

4evh.png

hke.png

Turbo3 said:
Version 0.26n9 is up for testing.
It is not clear what if anything the first option (Lock/Unlock) does.

To me indicates that you can configure whether the behavior is for lock / unlock or lock & unlock. (so you can say only lock the doors, but not auto unlock them, or vise versa)

I really, really like the lock settings. :lol: That's been an uncomfortable few seconds for many "test ride" passengers - "how do I get out?!" :p Once I get back to the car, I'll try switching to "unlock on park" mode, which makes more sense anyway. Awesome discovery! :D

Any thoughts on the pack voltage info and/or history graphs? :)

edit: Just tested it in the running car... works great! The "Lock/unlock" On/Off switch was set to "Off" on mine at first (and at that time, the top number displayed was "0"). I switched that to "On", and that number changed to "80". Not sure what it does, either, since obviously my car was already auto locking/unlocking, and switching it "on" didn't seem to change anything. I did observe "boop" sounds from the car speakers every few seconds while in that menu, though - which made me a bit uncomfortable leaving the service menu open. Made me wish there was an easier way to trigger the service menu. Perhaps make "Service" a sub-menu of the app menu options, the same way "Settings" itself is?

Now my Leaf unlocks the doors when I hit "P", and that, in my opinion, is amazing. Thanks!

This beta level is coming to a close so that will need to wait until the next beta cycle.

I am in the process of getting ready for the general release of version 0.27 which will also include a few small fixes and enhancements over this last beta version.

So if anyone has any issues they need to speak up now if they want them looked into before 0.27 is frozen.

Since the app does much more than display battery information it will be getting a new name and new custom icon.

The release and update process will also be changing in a big way which will make it much easier for everyone to get updates.

Turbo3 said:
This beta level is coming to a close so that will need to wait until the next beta cycle.
Makes sense to me! You've done an awesome job with this, and each new beta keeps getting better. :)

Turbo3 said:
Since the app does much more than display battery information it will be getting a new name and new custom icon.

The release and update process will also be changing in a big way which will make it much easier for everyone to get updates.
Do I smell a market release? :eek: :D Can't wait to see!

FalconFour said:
edit: Just tested it in the running car... works great! The "Lock/unlock" On/Off switch was set to "Off" on mine at first (and at that time, the top number displayed was "0"). I switched that to "On", and that number changed to "80". Not sure what it does, either, since obviously my car was already auto locking/unlocking, and switching it "on" didn't seem to change anything. I did observe "boop" sounds from the car speakers every few seconds while in that menu, though - which made me a bit uncomfortable leaving the service menu open. Made me wish there was an easier way to trigger the service menu. Perhaps make "Service" a sub-menu of the app menu options, the same way "Settings" itself is?

Now my Leaf unlocks the doors when I hit "P", and that, in my opinion, is amazing. Thanks!
The app does not do anything special while on the Service menu so I don't understand the "boop" sounds. I just tried in my Leaf and I hear nothing with radio on or off.

The only time the app does something different when on the Service menu is when you press a button for an action. During the action a special set of requests is executed. When the action is completed it goes back to the normal request loop.

If would be helpful if you unchecked the "Hide Connect Sts" in the Settings/Screen panel. Then see if the boop happens at a fixed step number displayed after the green Connected status.

Back