Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorphin said:
On my 13 mentioned above.. I finally pushed myself to LB.. at 16% on the dash.. When you hit VLB.. how bad does it slow you down, etc?

There's no reduction in performance until you actually hit Turtle. Then you get a turtle icon on the dash and a voice warning that power is reduced. You can go about half a mile then at the reduced power before you stop.

Boomer23 said:
I did a range test from full charge to to Turtle on my 2011 LEAF today.

Turtle occurred at 5 Gids on an Original (TM) Gidmeter.

Readings when I parked the car after Turtle:

Gidmeter: 4 Gids, SOC 3.6%, Voltage 318.0

ELM/Android app: 9 'Gids (simulated Gids), 3.7% SOC, 0.8 kWh remaining, zero miles remaining

The battery cell display at Turtle was interesting. The cell voltage histogram showed blips widely scattered all the way from 3.112 Volts to 3.385 Volts. And the main battery display showed full vertical range bars on a scale of 3.12 to above 3.27 Volts and all the way to the top of the screen across the entire width.

See pics I took of the Droid display because it doesn't have a screen shot feature.

Note that the 12V battery is at 11.6 Volts. Maybe the LEAF pulled every Volt it could get it's hands on to get me back in my garage. :lol:
Since you have a voltage difference of 284mv why are you selecting the 150mv scale?

You should change to the 300mv scale to see all the data.

Turbo3 said:
Since you have a voltage difference of 284mv why are you selecting the 150mv scale?

Ah, thanks. Still getting used to delving into Settings when things get unusual, like Turtle mode.

Boomer23 said:
Turbo3 said:
Ah, thanks. Still getting used to delving into Settings when things get unusual, like Turtle mode.
You don't have to go to the Settings Menu to make the change. Just tap on the upper half of the screen to increase the scale. Remember, the Wiki manual is your friend. ;)

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leaf_Battery_Application#Screen_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the picture of CP Data at Turtle...

1. If you still have the data (have not connected to the car again),
you can change the scale to 300 and take another helpful picture.

2. The one lowest cell is off-screen to the bottom, but it is being
displayed, apparently, as off-screen to the top.

3. When displaying at the 50 mv scale, my v25 sometimes shows
a 50 mv scale like it should, and sometimes 55 mv. Is this a bug?

With the data scale jumping around, it is difficult to see what
is happening to the data itself, so...

4. Also, the selected scale seems to "slide" up or down, presumably
in an attempt to keep the data centered, when it seems unnecessary
to re-center. Could we please have a "freeze" (and unfreeze) of the scale,
to keep it from sliding, perhaps be tapping the scale title text area of
the screen?

garygid said:

Suggestion: I installed "aScreenshot". Very useful. It takes a screenshot and labels it with a name that includes date/time. Then email the PNG files or store them as you like.

HTH

:)

LEAFer said:
garygid said:
1. If you still have the data (have not connected to the car again), you can change the scale to 300 and take another helpful picture.
Suggestion: I installed "aScreenshot". Very useful. It takes a screenshot and labels it with a name that includes date/time. Then email the PNG files or store them as you like. HTH :)
Looks like that requires root access tho. Some may not want to do that. It seems like this is a native function on most phones tho. Just check the manual. On my Razr MAXX HD to get a screen capture I think I hit power and the volume down for a few seconds (ie. less than 5 seconds - as 10 may cause a soft reboot)

garsh said:
scottf200 said:
On my Razr MAXX HD to get a screen capture I think I hit power and the volume down for a few seconds (ie. less than 5 seconds - as 10 may cause a soft reboot)
That's a standard feature on all Android phones running 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or newer:
How to Take Screenshots on Android Devices Since 4.0
My phone is Android 2.2.1. Any built-in screenshot feature that anyone knows off the top of their head ?

( And, no, I don't know what "rooting" is and whether "aScreenshot" requires it, and whether that "condition" is permanent, or only while the app is running ... I don't recall having to do something special when I installed that app. )

garygid said:

2. The one lowest cell is off-screen to the bottom, but it is being
displayed, apparently, as off-screen to the top.

3. When displaying at the 50 mv scale, my v25 sometimes shows
a 50 mv scale like it should, and sometimes 55 mv. Is this a bug?

With the data scale jumping around, it is difficult to see what
is happening to the data itself, so...

4. Also, the selected scale seems to "slide" up or down, presumably
in an attempt to keep the data centered, when it seems unnecessary
to re-center. Could we please have a "freeze" (and unfreeze) of the scale,
to keep it from sliding, perhaps be tapping the scale title text area of
the screen?

Here is a shot of the cell data at Turtle with the scale adjusted to fit properly on the screen.

Attachments

• June 11 13 ELM 4.jpg
    June 11 13 ELM 4.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 52
Is it normal to have trouble installing a elm327 in the odb connector? My vgate elm327 model doesn't want to click in and today came loose and lost power while driving.

Also, how wobbly is the odb port? I can't imagine mine lasting if I had to install the vgate in the port more than a few times.

bradbissell said:
Is it normal to have trouble installing a elm327 in the odb connector? My vgate elm327 model doesn't want to click in and today came loose and lost power while driving.

Also, how wobbly is the odb port? I can't imagine mine lasting if I had to install the vgate in the port more than a few times.
Extension cable is recommended for those reasons. See Wiki Manual (link in my signature). The one JPWhite recommended is by far the best.

I have an extension cable, but unfortunately the image on amazon showed an opposite 90degree to what they shipped. I'll be returning the one I have. I have the one mentioned on order.

Does the connector snap in to the odb port or is it just pushed in and held there by friction? Really don't want to press too hard and break the port on the car.

bradbissell said:
Does the connector snap in to the odb port or is it just pushed in and held there by friction? Really don't want to press too hard and break the port on the car.
Just pushes in. If bumped will sometimes get loose enough that connection is lost (mainly experienced with original Gid meter, but not often).

I am going to remove the other extension cables from the Wiki list, as the one from JP white is superior in the following ways:

1) Cable exits toward the front of the car
2) Cable is thinner and more pliable, thus easier to route

bradbissell said:
I have an extension cable, but unfortunately the image on amazon showed an opposite 90degree to what they shipped. I'll be returning the one I have. I have the one mentioned on order.

Does the connector snap in to the OBD port or is it just pushed in and held there by friction? Really don't want to press too hard and break the port on the car.

It doesn't snap in, but there is a tab on one side that helps hold it in. With mine, there's no need for an extension cable. It's been continuously plugged in for almost two months with absolutely no problems (vGate/Simvalley/$18 Amazon). Also, this one has easy access for a sliding or toggle switch to go from CAR to EV CAN.

Stoaty said:
bradbissell said:
Just pushes in. If bumped will sometimes get loose enough that connection is lost (mainly experienced with original Gid meter, but not often).

I am going to remove the other extension cables from the Wiki list, as the one from JP white is superior in the following ways:

1) Cable exits toward the front of the car
2) Cable is thinner and more pliable, thus easier to route

The photo for that extension cable on Amazon makes it look like the cable will exit towards the rear of the car, just like the one I bought. Is the photo accurate? My OBD connector has the wider side of the connector on the right and the narrower side on the left.

rslatkin said:
The photo for that extension cable on Amazon makes it look like the cable will exit towards the rear of the car, just like the one I bought. Is the photo accurate? My OBD connector has the wider side of the connector on the right and the narrower side on the left.
It exits towards the front of my 2011 Leaf. I will have to check to see which side of the connecter is on the right/left.

Stoaty said:
rslatkin said:
It exits towards the front of my 2011 Leaf. I will have to check to see which side of the connecter is on the right/left.
Wondering if the OBDII port is installed in opposite orientation in other cars.

On our LEAF the "shorter" side of the port (the one with the tab on the OBDII reader) is on the LEFT side of the car.

HTH.

rslatkin said:
The photo shown on Amazon is incorrect. My OBD connector has the narrow side on the left also.

Back