Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
The log looks good, but the lat, lon would get into spreadsheets better
if they were enclosed in double-quotes, I suspect.
I tried adding double-quotes and they get added in as well. I thought it would just read what was in the quotes.

So the best is to just manually set the first two columns to Text. It is remembered the next time you import data.

batteryproblemmnl
sorphin said:
and also that I've lost 3.5% not driving in 2 days?
The SOC value displayed is likely the true SOC, as is evidenced by the cell voltage value as well. That said, the LEAF does not charge the battery to its full physical capacity for the sake of longevity. Instead, it stops around 95 or 96%. This implies that your battery pack has lost very little charge in three days. It's still sitting close to its maximum allowable charge.

surfingslovak said:
batteryproblemmnl
sorphin said:
The SOC value displayed is likely the true SOC, as is evidenced by the cell voltage value as well. That said, the LEAF does not charge the battery to its full physical capacity for the sake of longevity. Instead, it stops around 95 or 96%. This implies that your battery pack has lost very little charge in three days. It's still sitting close to its maximum allowable charge.

But letting it sit for days at 100% is probably not the best idea either. Your battery will be happier if it doesn't sit at 100% for long periods of time.

Turbo3 said:
For the time being, 1 minute will be the minimum.

The code that sends and receives commands/data is still mostly original from the iMiEV code. I need to rewrite that to have better control.

I just got a third ELM327, second of the "mini", and had no problems with it.

The Bluetooth not connecting with some devices/versions of android is something I would like to fix. It does not connect with my Nexus 7 (4.2.2).

Why do you think you need 3-6 second logging?

When importing the BatLog.txt file into excel you should change the first two column formats from General to Text before pressing Finish to insure you get all the characters in those two fields

Version 0.08 will add a counter to the settings screen to show the number of records logged during this session. So if you press force log return to the program wait a few seconds and go back to settings you will see the number change. This way you can be sure logging is working.

Hi guys!

Turbo3, thanks for addressing my questions :) . Regarding the Bluetooth connection, please keep in mind that android 4.2.2 still has some problem with it. it is a known bug of the OS and google should fix it in the next iteration.
The issue with the 3 to 6 second logging is quite simple. I am a researcher at the Free University of Brussels and we actively perform test in some electrical vehicles we have in our department (ETEC). At this point, we have a Nissan Leaf and a brand new Volvo V60 PHEV (amazing car!!). The 3 to 6 second resolution is interesting as it will describe clearly the balancing strategy and charging behavior of each cell with a lot more detail. Changes occur at the mV level and fairly fast. It would be interesting to verify if different balancing strategies are used in the case of partial charges and also, how accurate is the "balanced" discharge of the individual cells while being in use. Anyway, it is just an idea !

Just otu of curiosity, i hacked my personal obd adapter, similar to the one (the big one) you displayed in the first post, in order to have a switch to select the conventional CAN high and low signals for the leaf ev can and for other conventional vehicles. BTW, has anyone figured out any way of monitoring the leaf ev can using Torque? I am stuck with the unconventional obd protocol...

The work you have been performing is amazing and i believe everyone here is more than happy! A big thank you!

Also, if anyone can point me in any direction concerning the EV ECU of the Volvo, that would be GREAT!

Cheers to everyone!

vrwl said:
I've ordered my bluetooth adapter that was mentioned by davewill in an earlier post. Once I have that, I'll test this using my Kindle Fire tablet HD. This is some great work you're doing, Turbo3.

I am very anxious to see how your Kindle works for this app. I was under the impression (but do not really know) that the Kindle Fire was not able to access Google Play. :?:

vrwl said:
surfingslovak said:
batteryproblemmnl
sorphin said:

But letting it sit for days at 100% is probably not the best idea either. Your battery will be happier if it doesn't sit at 100% for long periods of time.

Well, i have about at least 58 miles to drive on thursday (wasn't sure what day it would be) and L2 charging stations aren't that prevelant around here yet.. and all i can do is trickle charge at home, and i monitor it -closely-.. I've only had this leaf since last week, so i'm being cautious for now. (Hey, Engineers can be cautious sometimes)

sorphin said:
Well, i have about at least 58 miles to drive on thursday (wasn't sure what day it would be) and L2 charging stations aren't that prevelant around here yet.. and all i can do is trickle charge at home, and i monitor it -closely-.. I've only had this leaf since last week, so i'm being cautious for now. (Hey, Engineers can be cautious sometimes)
The way most of us handle that is to charge the car to 80% and override to 100% when the day promises to need more range than 80% supplies. Of course, with only trickle charging, you could need 3 hours notice to get up to 100% and that might not be possible...but you should try.

rickbecker said:
vrwl said:
I've ordered my bluetooth adapter that was mentioned by davewill in an earlier post. Once I have that, I'll test this using my Kindle Fire tablet HD. This is some great work you're doing, Turbo3.

I am very anxious to see how your Kindle works for this app. I was under the impression (but do not really know) that the Kindle Fire was not able to access Google Play. :?:

True, but the Kindle Fire allows you to side-load .apk app files. So as long as I have access to the .apk file, I can get it on there without any problems. I've side-loaded Roboform along with several other apps and so far, haven't had any problems with them.

This morning my wife came to tell me the Leaf would not start. Turns out the 12v battery was down below 9 volts.

Car has not been driven in a few days but ELM327 is in all the time with lots of testing. Always plugged in to L2 but I guess that does not charge the 12 volt battery. Car is almost 2 years old.

So for version 0.09 I will be adding the 12 volt battery reading at the time you connect to the ELM327. It displays below the app version number and ELM327 version ID. To be accurate it needs to be calibrated so there will be some new controls added to the settings menu. You will need a DC volt meter to read the battery first then enter this number into the settings menu. At least to start with, it will only be read from the ELM327 at program startup. You will need to exit app and restart to get another update. The car does not need to be ON to get this reading.

So I do not know if ELM327 being in all the time was the cause but it did not help.

I was surprised the Lady inside my Leaf did not give me a "Low 12 volt battery warning" message when I tried to start up the car ;-)

Turbo3 said:
This morning my wife came to tell me the Leaf would not start. Turns out the 12v battery was down below 9 volts.

Car has not been driven in a few days but ELM327 is in all the time with lots of testing. Always plugged in to L2 but I guess that does not charge the 12 volt battery. Car is almost 2 years old.
Being left plugged in can actually prevent the 12v battery from being charged. Normally the car charges the 12v batt every 5 days, but if plugged in, it doesn't happen. That said, unless "a few days" means more like 3 weeks, I'd say that either your 12v battery is going out (which has happened to a number of people, there's a thread around here somewhere), or the ELM327 is drawing enough current that leaving it plugged in isn't really a viable option.

We may want to consider modding our modules so they draw from switched power instead of being always on.

davewill said:
Turbo3 said:

Being left plugged in can actually prevent the 12v battery from being charged. Normally the car charges the 12v batt every 5 days, but if plugged in, it doesn't happen. That said, unless "a few days" means more like 3 weeks, I'd say that either your 12v battery is going out (which has happened to a number of people, there's a thread around here somewhere), or the ELM327 is drawing enough current that leaving it plugged in isn't really a viable option.

We may want to consider modding our modules so they draw from switched power instead of being always on.

Since I don't yet have my ELM327 to see what's involved, is it a pain to plug and unplug it daily? Is there a big procedure in getting it to link up with your chosen display device? Or is it pretty straightforward? I turn on and off bluetooth all the time on my iPhone for when I want to use/not use my bluetooth wireless earbuds and it pairs up really easy even though both are turned off to start with. So I just wondered if the modification was needed because it's problematic to get them paired up.

vrwl said:
Since I don't yet have my ELM327 to see what's involved, is it a pain to plug and unplug it daily?
It depends on how big your gut is. :lol:

Seriously, it's not hard to plug and unplug it at all. The connector is just under the dash and just left of the steering column. The only real reason to want to leave it plugged in is a vague fear that one could wear out the ODBII connector if one plugged and unplugged enough, but I'm not overly concerned. Link up is pretty automatic, too.

davewill said:
Turbo3 said:

the OBD2 port isn't 'on' unless the car is running/in On/Ign mode. Unless they're doing something really odd with the leaf...

sorphin said:
the OBD2 port isn't 'on' unless the car is running/in On/Ign mode. Unless they're doing something really odd with the leaf...
No sure what you mean by "OBD2 Port isn't 'on'". The Port has both switched and unswitched 12 volts. OBDII adapters are powered by the unswitched always on direct from battery 12 volts.

The CAR-CAN is always listening so if the EV-CAN has activity you can send commands to a CAR-CAN that seems inactive but still get ressponses from it.

Turbo3 said:
sorphin said:
No sure what you mean by "OBD2 Port isn't 'on'". The Port has both switched and unswitched 12 volts. OBDII adapters are powered by the unswitched always on direct from battery 12 volts.

The CAR-CAN is always listening so if the EV-CAN has activity you can send commands to a CAR-CAN that seems inactive but still get ressponses from it.

On my former ICE cars.. If the 'key' wasn't 'turned' to Ignition, the OBD2 port didn't do anything, and my ELM327 scanner wouldn't respond, and when I hooked mine up, it didn't light up until i turned the leaf 'on'....

The three ELM327s I have all light up when plugged in. So yours is different in that it must get its power from the switched 12 volts in the OBDII connector. That means you will not be able to monitor charging with my app since your ELM327 would not be powered on. (Have you tried to connect my app to your Leaf with the power off? Does it report the ELM327 version ID?)

Can you post a picture of you ELM327? How big is it and where did you get it from?

So the OBDII port is always ON but there are different ELM327 adapters that may or may not be active with the car off.

Turbo3 said:
The three ELM327s I have all light up when plugged in. So yours is different in that it must get its power from the switched 12 volts in the OBDII connector. That means you will not be able to monitor charging with my app since your ELM327 would not be powered on. (Have you tried to connect my app to your Leaf with the power off? Does it report the ELM327 version ID?)

Can you post a picture of you ELM327? How big is it and where did you get it from?

So the OBDII port is always ON but there are different ELM327 adapters that may or may not be active with the car off.

I have modded my adapter so it can stay always in the car, connected of course. I will take pictures tomorrow to show you guys my modifications (im home now and not at the office). The OBD socket is always "live" and therefore, the OBD voltage will probably drain the 12v battery. The OBDLINK MX has a power save mode with prevents this (costs 15 times more than a cheap one). These chinese clone adapters, do not of course. Nothing some switches cant prevent though.

Sorphin, during charging, i believe the obd socket is "live" :)

Cheers!

Turbo3 said:

I will check this in a little while and post a picture of my adapter, etc. (still working right now) I've only just tested your app, so I'm not even sure to what extent I can even use it. The only time I've charged so far, i just periodically 'pinged' carwings.

and so.. It appears I was wrong. I went out (and I'd apparently forgotten and left mine hooked up since last night :-/) and red light was on, on the ELM.. Strange since there were none on when i first plugged it in last night.. Oh well.

Back