Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Armchair test of 26e seems to work well.
Perhaps I can get some pilot time today.

Switching through GIDs, %GIDs, and SOC is super, as is
the delta tire pressure. Tapping (short or long) the lower left
dots to change screens seems to work well, and a left or right
swipe still seems to work to change screens as well.

I vote for adding the date, time, and odometer reading,
at least in the log, but on-screen for better self-documenting
screen captures as well. Yes, it is difficult to find room. :D

Your Splendid work continues, THANKS. :clap:

Stoaty said:
Turbo3 said:
If I decide to add a delta tire pressure alarm can we decide on a single value like 3 PSI difference sets off an alarm. Trying to avoid having too many settings.

What differences are people seeing right now in the real world? I see 1.25 PSI for mine from saved data. During a drive it will vary as the tires heat up.
I am seeing a difference of 1.0 PSI (I check my tires every 2 weeks). A fixed value would be reasonable, perhaps 2.5 or 3 PSI.

An alternative to an absolute psi variance would be to have a % variance. 8% sounds reasonable.

Turbo3 said:
garsh said:
Is there a way to see the instantaneous drain on the main battery?
If you select AltGids then RPM is replaced with battary amps.
Is it the value displayed below GIDs?
If so, it's staying at 0.0A for me. I'm running 0.25p1
13+-+1

After few drives here's my recent feedback:

For some reason RPM/amps are not showing for me, just an empty space below GIDs, regardless of Alt GIDs checkbox.

Tire pressure alarm... Did not work in my setup... I connect my phone via bluetooth, so the sound goes via bluethooth, and if I don't have source set to Bluetooth audio and speakers on I can't hear it...
Blinking red digits on screen is hard to glance as well... If I'm driving, I can just give a short look at the screen and having it switch between temp and psi and change color gives me only 1/4 chance of noticing tire pressure warning... Maybe just give it a constant red color... and is there any way to force the sound to the phone speaker even if bluetooth is on?

UkrainianKozak said:
After few drives here's my recent feedback:

For some reason RPM/amps are not showing for me, just an empty space below GIDs, regardless of Alt GIDs checkbox.

Tire pressure alarm... Did not work in my setup... I connect my phone via bluetooth, so the sound goes via bluethooth, and if I don't have source set to Bluetooth audio and speakers on I can't hear it...
Blinking red digits on screen is hard to glance as well... If I'm driving, I can just give a short look at the screen and having it switch between temp and psi and change color gives me only 1/4 chance of noticing tire pressure warning... Maybe just give it a constant red color... and is there any way to force the sound to the phone speaker even if bluetooth is on?

I use bluetooth to the ELM, but the unit is otherwise dedicated to the Battery app. Works for me. The beeping was about to drive me crazy this morning until my tires warmed up. I set the threshold too high :) I'm amazed how the tires warmed up adding over 2 PSI just taking it easy, no rally driving. Having this data is very illuminating.

Jim rocks!!

Jim for president!!

Feature request: on screen 4, I would like to be able to show maximum temperature instead of the 4 temperature sensor readings. Not sure how best to accomplish this, but one way might be to tap and hold (like with the screens) on the temperature area. Each tap and hold would cycle through this display: all 4 temp sensors -> maximum -> average -> minimum -> all 4 temp sensors, etc. That is about the only remaining piece of information I can get on screen 3 that isn't available on screen 4. Eventually, I would like to see screen 3 "retired".

I think the DTE should be based on GIDs rather than SOC.

On my leaf i can get LBW somewhere between 17-22% SOC and VLB between 8-12% SOC
And turtle can be between 2,5-7% SOC
I think it depends on how well my battery pack is balanced and how fast i discharge it at low soc.
But the GIDs seems to be at fixed numbers

Here is two screendumps from today, look at the difference between GIDs % and SOC %
First 4,7% difference then 1% difference and only used 0,3kwh inbetween.
The bubbles had start to dissapear at the first screendump, so very near turtle.

If DTE where based on GIDs the DTE events lbw and vlb would be more correct.
Or am i an novice hallucinating? :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

Version 0.26f (-FS) is up for testing.

Features
* Supports alarm setting for Delta PSI
* Easier to see Alarm indication when it goes off
* Alternating Temp/PSI disabled when Alarm goes off. Tap and hold to reenable alternating function
* Temperature panel now shows min/avg/max temp at bottom

I'm kind of skeptical about delta pressure, it'll catch single tire faults, but won't capture common degradation and other stuff...
What I feel is that we should actually have low and high mark for pressure customizable.
I imagine for usability, for example in winter I want to pump some more air to keep pressure high, but that might cause pressure on summer hot day to go over the rated tire pressure, and it'll happen on all 4 tires at roughly the same time, so alarming on delta won't work in this case.
Similarly, if you inflated tired on hot summer day after driving to factory spec, all 4 tires can become considerably low on pressure on cold winter day.
That kind of "long-term" reminders might be pretty useful if you manage tire pressure (to me 4 psi overinflation causes 0.2 mpkW increase, and I'm not going to extreme by inflating to max tire rating, but some people do that)

UkrainianKozak said:
I'm kind of skeptical about delta pressure, it'll catch single tire faults, but won't capture common degradation and other stuff...
What I feel is that we should actually have low and high mark for pressure customizable.

Delta tire pressure is meant to catch a single tire fault. That's useful.

As for high and low customizable pressure. We have a low pressure threshold already in settings.

What you asking for is to add a high tire pressure warning/setting. This certainly completes the possible tire variance scenarios, but high pressure is the least of the evils IMHO.

We have low and delta warnings which covers most of the stuff I have a concern over.

Seasonal variances are easy enough to catch. Just look at the pressures while sitting at a red light. If they are too high/low do something. I don't think the app can take seasonal variances into consideration. At some point we as drivers have to assume some responsibility for checking tire pressures. This app makes it sooooo much easier to do so.

I think this is making it too complex and that you reach the point of diminishing returns... It is an accepted fact, for example, that when checking a tire hot, you increase the tire inflation pressure by four pounds from the cold reading... It is easy enough to do that manually...

UkrainianKozak said:
I imagine for usability, for example in winter I want to pump some more air to keep pressure high, but that might cause pressure on summer hot day to go over the rated tire pressure, and it'll happen on all 4 tires at roughly the same time, so alarming on delta won't work in this case.
Similarly, if you inflated tired on hot summer day after driving to factory spec, all 4 tires can become considerably low on pressure on cold winter day.
That kind of "long-term" reminders might be pretty useful if you manage tire pressure (to me 4 psi overinflation causes 0.2 mpkW increase, and I'm not going to extreme by inflating to max tire rating, but some people do that)

So jealous now. I'd love to display my tire pressure but here in Australia we got the SL 2011 LEAF for $54,000 and they remove the homelink rearview mirror, remove voice control and also removed the TPMS. I'll install 0.26c tonight but I'm expecting to see 0 psi :(

Turbo3 said:
Version 0.26f (-FS) is up for testing.

Features
* Supports alarm setting for Delta PSI
* Easier to see Alarm indication when it goes off
* Alternating Temp/PSI disabled when Alarm goes off. Tap and hold to reenable alternating function
* Temperature panel now shows min/avg/max temp at bottom
All works well here, but I really dislike the min/avg/max temp at the bottom. It is way too cluttered. I would like to see less information, not more--just one temperature displayed in large letters (in my case, the maximum, which is probably the most useful in terms of monitoring the battery pack). If you decide not to do that, I would rather have the min/avg/max removed. Just my opinion, of course.

Version 0.26g (-FS) is up for testing

Features
* Final version of the temperture layout
* New Setting/Battery Temperature panel where you can select the Max/Avg/Min temp display or the original 4 Sensors display

The default is Max/Avg/Min which is what most people are probably interested in. For the tech people you can switch to the sensor reading display.

Great work!

Unfortunately UK Leafs do not have tyre pressure sensors so cannot use this part of the functionality of the app.

Back