Very loud "engine" like sound... never heard before

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to suggest this was the condenser fan. But how on earth could a pinecone get in there behind the condenser and coolant heat exchangers? There is plastic almost completely covering the underside of the motor area. Maybe a squirrel?

-Phil

I hope the squirrel wasn't still present when the fan started! :lol:

Ingineer said:
I was going to suggest this was the condenser fan. But how on earth could a pinecone get in there behind the condenser and coolant heat exchangers? There is plastic almost completely covering the underside of the motor area. Maybe a squirrel?
-Phil

Apparently they checked for rodents too - none found!

He said that it needs the apron thingy installed which I guess is a voluntary recall for cold weather Leafs to prevent snow from getting up in there.

Here's the pine cone... thingy. ;)

pinecone.jpg

nanuq said:
Problem solved!!

A pinecone got up in the AC fan making the noise!
AC fan? But you said "Turns off the climate control - sound is still there." Was the sound there steadily even after you turned off the CC, or does it stop soon after (after the AC fan has had a chance to come to a stop)? The AC fan running when the climate control is off would be yet another "fun" fact I don't know about the CC!

aqn said:
AC fan? But you said "Turns off the climate control - sound is still there." Was the sound there steadily even after you turned off the CC, or does it stop soon after (after the AC fan has had a chance to come to a stop)? The AC fan running when the climate control is off would be yet another "fun" fact I don't know about the CC!
Yes, the condenser fan will continue to run even after the A/C is off if the high side pressure is above a certain level.

-Phil

Smidge204 said:
Silly Nissan! Pine trees have needles, not LEAFs!

=Smidge=

Didn't you know, Nissan next EV model is call a Nissan PINECONE. They just want to test the concept.

Great that it turned out to be nothing serious. It is strange that a pinecone could get in there.

Nan, was this covered by the warranty? Technically it wouldn't be but I'm wondering how your dealer handled it.

There was no charge as it was blamed on the lack of an apron. Which I guess they have now installed for us.

Speaking of the "lighter" side ...

Sometime a year ago I drove 11 miles to have lunch with my wife. I (unknowingly) had a stowaway. After exiting the LEAF in the parking lot, I became curious when I heard meowing. Luckily I persisted in finding the origin of the "thingy". Behind the plastic front air dam grill, in front of the radiator ! I don't remember exactly how I got him out, but it took a while. A few curious onlookers gathered to see what was already wrong with "the electric car", as I was bent over the open "engine" compartment. We couldn't take the "thingy" to lunch, so my wife canceled and sent me home immediately. The return 11 miles proceeded without incident with a scared kitten on my lap.

nanuq said:
There was no charge as it was blamed on the lack of an apron. Which I guess they have now installed for us.

Anyone able to post a photo or detailed description of the "apron"?

I live in a moderate snowfall (but very high-rodent) region.

My Notification letter didn't mention it, and neither I nor my local dealer (when last asked) knew what it was, to determine whether I had, or wanted, one.

Back