Volt/ Leaf Owners Gives Us Feedback

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChargedUp

Looking for people who own both the Leaf and the Volt to contrast and compare the two cars. Want to hear everything, but I especially am interested on the question of handling.

Not that handling is all about "G's" pulled on a skid pad, but MotorTrend shows higher g's for the Leaf while Car & Driver shows higher numbers for the Volt.

But what is your experience? How does the Leaf handle compared to the Volt? Which corners better? Which handles bumps better?

I just responded over at the GM-Volt forum.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?14186-Volt-Leaf-Owners-Gives-Us-Feedback&p=153674#post153674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take this comparison based on a year old leaf (so some tire wear and car "settling") versus a new volt:

Handling: I think the leaf handles better than the volt. I can take turns tighter on my winding "S" road home. The volt feels like its about to slip if I go to fast, the leaf never feels like its slipping around the S curves, and although you would think it would tip (like all taller vehicles), but it doesn't even come close to feeling like its tipping. But this is a very very small detail versus both. Both handle extremely well.

Other: I believe both cars handle bumps quite well. While the volt feels better now, I believe its due to the leaf's tires having almost 20k of tread life removed. Based on the begining experience, I would say the leaf edges out the volt. The leaf handles road noise better than the volt, but its really close - both do it quite well. The battery and range prediction on the volt is far superior than the leaf. It's estimates are not only better, they flucuate less (even on the highways), and we constantly get range over the EPA AND the LA4 cycle range (driving normal). In the leaf, I beat the EPA, but never really come close to the LA4 cycle range. Charging port access goes to the Volt, either via remote (AWESOME!) or a nice easy-to-access button on the door. The J1772 port location is all for the leaf. The front port is so easy for access. In addition, the port is slightly angled up so the j1772 plug goes in easy, the volt has a flat angle in which can make it slighly difficult to plug in.

Interior: The volt is definetely more luxurious, and, especially with the upgraded speakers, better sound (alot better). I find the cluster button console on the volt to be a bit daughting and complicated, but it adds more functionality; the leaf is more intuative and easier to navigate but offers less options (think of android versus iOS). For display options on car info (specially battery and output), props goes to the leaf. A full engine and usage readout of power is wonderful and the bubble icon for regen and acceleration is way better for minute control versus the leaves/bubble on the volt (almost useless imo for micromanagement). The display is more "slick" and upscale looking on the Volt, but it doesn't give the feedback I want that the leaf does.

Apps: The volt app is better than the leaf. I really like the extra info: tire pressure, oil, etc. There is more information here than the leaf. Always having to sign into the leaf app = crap.

We've only had the Volt for 4 days. But here are my observations so far:
  • The included L1 EVSE in the Volt is MUCH better designed. I've heard some people say the Leaf's Panasonic unit is better designed from a technological and reliability standpoint. But I'm talking about from a standpoint of user experience. The Volt unit has a light on the end of the J1772. It also hangs on the wall MUCH better and comes with a mounting bracket that works great. So you can leave it on the wall and if you need to take it with you, just lift the whole thing up and off of the bracket. Also the cable winds around the unit which makes it easier to store the excess cable. And lastly, the EVSE uses a right-angle NEMA connector so it doesn't stick out of the wall so far or put extra stress on the plug.
  • The NAV/radio system in the Volt sucks. It is hard to use and understand. It has this annoying "feature" that you can turn off the radio but anytime you press ANY button, even if that button is for the climate control or the NAV system, the radio turns on immediately. So if you don't want to listen to the radio your only real choice is to turn the volume all the way down. I thought I was crazy but posted a thread on this on the Volt forum and many people came on to say this is a well known issue and everyone hates it. Also the buttons on the Volt are not real buttons. They are touch-sensitive (probably capacitive). I doubt they'd work if you have gloves on (but I haven't tried yet) overall the radio/nav system in the Leaf is just far easier to use. The only up-side to the NAV system on the volt is that it doesn't nag you to press OK every time you start the car.
  • The Volt interior seems a bit higher grade, more on par with a luxury car. The Leaf isn't bad or anything, but the Volt does seem to be better.
  • The Leaf has a better charging port being on the front of the car. I find it annoying having the charge port on the side. I suppose if you had your charging station on the side of your garage and always parked the Volt on the same side, I guess it would be okay. But we mounted our 240V EVSE in the center of the garage so that either car can use it. Well, with the Leaf I can plug it in in 5 seconds or less. With the Volt I have to unravel some extra cable from the EVSE for the extra length required. When done charging, I have to wind it all back up. I can only imagine if we had a PiP how much more annoying that would be.
  • The Onstar phone app and web-app are far superior to Nissan's carwings. With the Onstar it always gives up-to-date info instead of having to request an update only to find your session has timed out, only to log back in, then request another update (since it forgot you wanted one to begin with). Not only that, but the onstar app shows you things like tire-pressure, lets you lock and unlock the doors, honk the horn to find your car in a parking lot, and all kinds of other neat stuff. Plus, like I said, you can use it in a standard web-browser too.. It really puts Nissan's app to shame.
  • As for buying... We leased both cars. The Leaf's residual value is low, around $15,000. So that means there is a very high likelihood I'll wind up purchasing the Leaf at the end of the 3 year lease. With the Volt.. I'm not sure. The residual is $26,000. We may have to let it go and lease another one. On the bright side, the Volt's monthly payments are actually less.
  • As for the instrumentation. I like the bubble power meter thing on the Leaf. I also like being able to see charging stations. Granted, the Volt isn't as likely to need a charging station, though.
  • I prefer the charge port release button on the Volt. It is located on the drivers door and also on the keyfob. So I don't feel like I'm popping the hood every time I want to open the charge door.
  • Personally, I think the "gear shift" (if that is what you want to call it) on the Volt is preferable. It is more similar to a regular car, but small enough to be out of the way.
  • Volt has better cargo area. Especially when laying the seats down. The Leaf has that hump in the way.
Overall I love both cars. I think both are roughly the same handling. Volt may be a bit better since it is wider. They are both roughly the same acceleration. But it appears each vehicle got some things right and some things wrong.

You may have the new volt EVSE not the original one made by LEER. There is a big difference between the two units. Can you post a picture of the unit?

I'm probably not justified in this one but posting anyway. Pending delivery of my Leaf.

Took a Volt for a test yesterday to try to convince my wife to get one instead of a Prius V. I just can't. The even though the Volt had the nicer seats (leather) and felt more like a luxury type of car, I just couldn't get comfortable with the dash compared to what I've experienced with my 3 extended runs in the Leaf. The car feels cobled together like a chimera with pieces all over the place. Two "fill up" plates at opposite ends of the vehicle really seemed odd to me. Dealer said the Volt generator engine was the same 1.4L engine used for the Sonic with 4 spark plugs and all. I will say the Volt found and hovered at 35mph much easier than the Leaf did.

Obviously the Volt's a great car if it meets your needs but if a Leaf meets your needs I would recommend the Leaf. Some of my preference may also be that I've always had compact/subcompact cars and the Leaf seems more natural to me than the Volt.

No, wife won't change to Volt so Prius V purchase in the near future.

ksnogas2112 said:
ur needs but if a Leaf meets your needs I would recommend the Leaf. Some of my preference may also be that I've always had compact/subcompact cars and the Leaf seems more natural to me than the Volt.

My wife was also interested in the Prius V. We made a deal that she test-drive the Volt first, then the Prius V. She was convinced she'd like the Prius V better. In the end, the Volt won. But for more reasons than one. She already had a 2010 prius. Be switching to the V all she would gain was extra cargo room. Her payments would go up, as well as her gas bill. With the Volt, her payments were actually lower than the Prius V and her current Prius, plus the gas bill disappears.

I'm enjoying this read. I really like the Volt from what I've seen from the outside. My wife had a chance to take a Volt out for a work trip (her company has a couple) and she said that compared to our Leaf, she thought it handled better. She liked how it displayed a lot more information in the two screens. The comment of Android v. iOS seemed appropriate. However, she said that taking 4 people in the car was tough because the back seat was VERY crowded. She also said they had to take some products with them and the trunk area was not very big compared to the LEAF (again, I have not been in one). I personally like the way it looks and would have considered one if it (1) were less expensive and (2) had a bench seat - that is a deal killer with a dog and child on the way.

One comment about the two people who were/are deciding between a Volt and a Prius V: Why? The V is clearly trying to target owners who need more room than a standard Prius whereas the Volt is closer to the size of a regular Prius. I'd understand Volt vs Prius or Volt vs PiP, but not Volt vs Prius V.

We saw a prototype at the L.A. Autoshow and if the final production version looks anything like it, it will probably not be on our list... It looks far too bland and mini-vanish for our liking... We would have preferred something more along the lines of the new 2013 Escape... Manufacturers have to realize that style and design ALSO sells vehicles like these...

drees said:
ksnogas2112 said:
What about waiting for the Ford C-Max Energi plug-in due out later this year?

Guys, there is no way the LEAF handles better than the Volt. The Volt feels sport-tuned and is much tighter and responsive.

Even from professional reviews:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2011-chevrolet-volt-full-test-road-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Beyond its impressive powertrain, the Volt drives surprisingly well, with a reassuringly steady suspension. The electric power steering is light but direct on-center, adding weight in proportion to angle. It’s neither totally natural nor terribly off-putting."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/02/review-a-week-in-a-2012-nissan-leaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The handling limits of the Leaf are, as one would assume, defined mostly by the 3,400lb curb weight and low rolling resistance tires. With the “40 MPG car” being all the rage lately, more and more cars are being sold with low rolling resistance rubber, so while the Leaf’s handling is unspectacular, so is the competition."

ksnogas2112 said:
I'm probably not justified in this one but posting anyway. Pending delivery of my Leaf.
<snip>
Dealer said the Volt generator engine was the same 1.4L engine used for the Sonic with 4 spark plugs and all.<snip>
This is so far from telling the real story it is not even funny. Everything about that engine and how it runs was tuned for the environment and situation in the Voltec powertrain. There was a complete section in the SAE magazine on this topic. Your dealer is an idiot and using the spark plugs as an example would make them even sillier.

SAE International has published an entire magazine devoted just to the Volt
http://pages.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/sae/10EVSD1104/offline/sae_10EVSD1104_pdf.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EVDRIVER said:
You may have the new volt EVSE not the original one made by LEER. There is a big difference between the two units. Can you post a picture of the unit?
here's a photo of it:
IMG_0944.jpg

I have to ditto adric22 about the Level 1 EVSE for the volt. I am positive its the newer one but alot easier to handle and plug in (plus the wall mounting if you want it!).

I will disagree with the shifter. Getting used to the leaf small knob, the shifter on the volt feels soo clunky, heavy and hard to move. I feel like I need to break it off just to move it! The Leaf's, although daughting at first because its different, is very elegent in my book, smooth and fluid.

Also, about cabin noise - both seem to offer the same overall cabin noise. The leaf handles road noise better, but engine whine is higher. The volt's road noise is greater but engine whine is very small, so both end up having the same in-cabin noise.

I am wondering unlike the ICE vehicles which have so many paramters that can vary between one to another, the EVs would not be significantly different in driving comfort or experience as much as the ICEVs.

- How much more quieter can you get ?
- How much more nimble and zippy can you get ?
- How much more efficient can you get (miles / kWh) ?

So it all comes down to :

- Range
- Battery lifecycle
- Charging : ease of use, quickness and infrastructure
- Price, of course..
- did I say range..?

And some perpheral issues:

- interiror decor, styling, exterior styiling, interior space, trunk space, etc..

Back