Voltec 240V EVSE for GM Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregH

For anyone interested, I can safely say the Voltec 240V EVSE from SPI ($495) works fine with the Leaf.
I couldn't get anyone to tell me for sure if it would, but I was too cheap to pay AV $995 for a box of relays so I got a Volt driver friend to order a Voltec unit for me and I can report it's working fine.
-Greg

FYI, I believe that unit is not UL listed, in addition I believe the wire gage is 16 rather than the 12 on the Nissan included EVSE. The cord can get quite warm so don't coil it or cover it for safety reasons. This unit is also not upgradeable like the included LEAF EVSE to 16A 240V so there is no advantage to using the Volt EVSE for a home charger since the free included Nissan L1 EVSE does the job, is upgradeable and is of far greater quality and IMO safer. The Volt unit is also not very durable.

GregH said:
For anyone interested, I can safely say the Voltec 240V EVSE from SPI ($495) works fine with the Leaf.
URL? Do you mean SPX?

I found https://www.homecharging.spx.com/volt/Display.aspx?id=7&menu=14.

cwerdna said:
GregH said:
URL? Do you mean SPX?

I believe he does. The price is right, but the problem remains: only available to Volt owners. If we can get past that bit of "anti-competitiveness", I think we'd have a viable 220v option. In fact, since there's more Leafs than Volts out there, you'd think SPX would be pushing to END whatever "exclusivity" agreement they have with GM.

Stanton said:
In fact, since there's more Leafs than Volts out there, you'd think SPX would be pushing to END whatever "exclusivity" agreement they have with GM.
GM may be paying SPX for each unit sold. This might tip the balance quite a bit for SPX so that they'd have to sell a LOT more units to make the same profit.

Wow, that looks superior to ALL of the LEAF options:
1. A coily cord keeps it off my usually dirty garage floor.
2. A built-in light.
3. Under $500.
Looks like I need to steal one from a Volt owner!

Apparently SPX is now selling to everyone - ofcourse it is not discounted, though. It will be $749.

http://www.servicesolutions.spx.com/FullDisplay.aspx?id=26&l=1

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_162244573806988&ap=1

pix_product.jpg

Just walk down to your local Chevy dealer and get a VIN off a Volt there...

DougMarker said:
2. A built-in light.
3. Under $500.

mogur said:
Just walk down to your local Chevy dealer and get a VIN off a Volt there...

DougMarker said:
2. A built-in light.
3. Under $500.

These units are poorly made and under engineered. They use under gauged wire and are cheaply designed. Save your money. I ordered one just to see and its not worth buying. I know people want to save a few bucks but they end up with junk or worse like with EV charge America. Convert your NIssan EVSE or buy a well made EVSE that won't overheat or fall apart after a year.

Thanks for the advice! I knew they wouldn't keep their "Volt exclusivity" for long, especially with Volt sales lagging so far behind the Leaf. Now there are other (better) EVSE's for the same price (like the SPX).

amtoro said:
I just called them and they said they only sell Voltec units to volt owners... :?:
So "become" a Volt owner :) I love social engineering...

Although if I were you I'd pony up another $300 and get the much superior PowerExpress by SPX. Rock solid unit.

Back