WA/OR April-May deliveries?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scharlj

I am wondering why my car is still in Long Beach and many cars have already been delivered in OR and WA. I am really wondering whether my car is really at the "back of the bus", or suffering from some logistical problem at LB.

My understanding is that my car was on the "last boat out before the earthquake". I was told this was a ship of about 600 cars. I've been told my car was manufactured on 3/5 and arrived in Long Beach around 3/29. It received the AC fix/reprogram on 4/19.

Here's my question: If you took delivery of your car in OR or WA in late April, early May and know you were on that boat (or a boat after that one if you know for sure), would you please state (if you know) your date of manufacture, AC fix, shipping, and date/location of delivery?

I suspect there are a lot of cars on the same boat as mine that have been delivered in OR and WA already. I just would like as much confirmation as possible. Just curious, passing the time, and envious of all you guys. I somehow don't want to believe that my car would be one of the last one out of LB (towards OR and WA) from that single boat.

Thanks in advance.

I also received the email the informing me that my leaf was one of the ~600 that left just prior to the earthquake. Nissan CS told me that my leaf received the AC fix on 4/13. My est delivery week is 5/5/2011 so if I my car is not here in 2 days I will be on the phone with CS again .. and again .. and again every day until it is here.

Precisely the same situation here. My LEAF was aboard the last pre-earthquake sailing, arriving at the Port of Long Beach in late March. The A/C fix was implemented around 4/15, per CS chat, and the car was released for shipment. Subsequent chats with CS have put the car back in line, waiting for accessory installation (mud guards, protection package). As of yesterday, it is again released and awaiting shipment to Seattle (via rail to Portland, then truck). They also remind me that it also may have already shipped. My delivery week has been pegged at 5/5 for quite some time now.

A large delivery came into my dealership (Campbell-Nelson) last week, but ours was not among them.

Interestingly, a lot of these cars are showing up in dealer new-car inventories. A quick study of the VIN numbers shows nothing remotely close to mine (2088), so I am wondering if they are trying to ship in an order resembling VIN order. I am seeing VINs near to or greater than mine being delivered in CA, so maybe there is hope, assuming my hypothesis holds true. ;)

uwskier20 said:
A quick study of the VIN numbers shows nothing remotely close to mine (2088), so I am wondering if they are trying to ship in an order resembling VIN order.

I was thinking that, but my VIN is 1485.....way lower than 2088 and lower than some VINs being delivered in CA. I am strongly confident they are NOT trying to re-order.

scharlj said:
uwskier20 said:
A quick study of the VIN numbers shows nothing remotely close to mine (2088), so I am wondering if they are trying to ship in an order resembling VIN order.
I was thinking that, but my VIN is 1485.....way lower than 2088 and lower than some VINs being delivered in CA. I am strongly confident they are NOT trying to re-order.
On this issue, it would be an error to look only at VINs, and not consider order date.

Just between you and uwskier:
- uwskier has a VIN of 2088, but an order date of 12/1/10.
- scharlj has a VIN of 1485, but an order date of end-Jan 2011.

Who do you think oughta have the earlier 'estimated delivery date'? I think 'uwskier', despite the higher VIN. And, such is the case. But, who knows if it's intentional on Nissan's part since much more seems random. We shall see.

scharlj said:

Yeah, I was thinking that as I took note of your VIN. By my seemingly flawed logic, you definitely should have taken delivery.

Hopefully we both get ours this week. Would surely like to quit obsessing and start burning some hydro-powered rubber. :twisted:

uwskier20 said:
scharlj said:
Yeah, I was thinking that as I took note of your VIN. By my seemingly flawed logic, you definitely should have taken delivery.
Why? You ordered almost 2 months before scharlj .... ;)

I am perfectly down on the "you ordered earlier than me, you should get your car first" argument. I am not debating this. But somewhere along the line Nissan screwed up, and I got promised a car earlier than I should have. Now though, I don't think they are trying to correct the order, and so nothing explains why our cars are still stuck in LA.

There is an interesting other thread about the words on the actual sticker on the car about the final assembly point. Apparently all LEAF stickers state that the "Final Assembly Point" is LA. I think this means that this is where they put the last few accessories, like for example the QC port. So in theory our cars made it out of Japan before the earthquake, but if we're waiting for parts (like the QC port) that are being delayed due to the earthquake, that could explain the delay. I would think that in that case, Nissan wouldn't have a problem releasing this information since they could blame someone else. Instead they are not revealing info, which leads me to believe there is something wrong logistically going on at the port, which prevents our cars from being loaded on railcars with others.

I frankly have a hard time believing that our cars didn't make it on some railcars because the railcars were full.... after all there were only 600 cars on that boat, and maybe 200-300 destined for OR/WA (that may be high)? I would hope that a railcar can take in about 50 cars, so I would guess 4-5 railcars is enough to deliver the entire load destined to OR/WA out of that boat of 600 cars. But would they really only have one railcar a week? If that were the case, then we'd truly have been at the "back of the bus", waiting for the last railcar out of LA for OR/WA for that ship of cars. "Luck of the draw" i guess, if this was truly the explanation.

HIOJim, out of Oregon, has the same delivery week as us. He reported getting a call from CS stating that the delay is due to the pollen issue, which supposedly requires a special car-washing technique. They told him delivery probably next week, and definitely by month's end.

I'd like to learn a little more about this stubborn variety of pollen...

uwskier20 said:
Precisely the same situation here. My LEAF was aboard the last pre-earthquake sailing, arriving at the Port of Long Beach in late March. … My delivery week has been pegged at 5/5 for quite some time now.

A large delivery came into my dealership (Campbell-Nelson) last week, but ours was not among them.
I'm in a similar situation, I think. My understanding from multiple calls to CS, was that my car, too, was on the last boat out before the earthquake. I held steady with a "month of May" delivery date for almost a month after the earthquake, and was assured I was "safe". But on 4/11, my delivery suddenly and inexplicably jumped to "month of July". Although I ordered about a 2 weeks before you, I never did receive a VIN, so nobody is able to tell me more about "my" car.

My EVSE installer still had a delivery date of 5/5 when they called to do the install 2 weeks ago.

scharlj said:
I am perfectly down on the "you ordered earlier than me, you should get your car first" argument. I am not debating this. But somewhere along the line Nissan screwed up, and I got promised a car earlier than I should have. Now though, I don't think they are trying to correct the order, and so nothing explains why our cars are still stuck in LA.

There is an interesting other thread about the words on the actual sticker on the car about the final assembly point. Apparently all LEAF stickers state that the "Final Assembly Point" is LA. I think this means that this is where they put the last few accessories, like for example the QC port. So in theory our cars made it out of Japan before the earthquake, but if we're waiting for parts (like the QC port) that are being delayed due to the earthquake, that could explain the delay. I would think that in that case, Nissan wouldn't have a problem releasing this information since they could blame someone else. Instead they are not revealing info, which leads me to believe there is something wrong logistically going on at the port, which prevents our cars from being loaded on railcars with others.

I frankly have a hard time believing that our cars didn't make it on some railcars because the railcars were full.... after all there were only 600 cars on that boat, and maybe 200-300 destined for OR/WA (that may be high)? I would hope that a railcar can take in about 50 cars, so I would guess 4-5 railcars is enough to deliver the entire load destined to OR/WA out of that boat of 600 cars. But would they really only have one railcar a week? If that were the case, then we'd truly have been at the "back of the bus", waiting for the last railcar out of LA for OR/WA for that ship of cars. "Luck of the draw" i guess, if this was truly the explanation.

QC Ports are install at the factory, not the port.

Amary said:
I'm in a similar situation, I think. My understanding from multiple calls to CS, was that my car, too, was on the last boat out before the earthquake. I held steady with a "month of May" delivery date for almost a month after the earthquake, and was assured I was "safe". But on 4/11, my delivery suddenly and inexplicably jumped to "month of July". Although I ordered about a 2 weeks before you, I never did receive a VIN, so nobody is able to tell me more about "my" car.

My EVSE installer still had a delivery date of 5/5 when they called to do the install 2 weeks ago.
That is just bananas, and I know that you are not the only one who had a sudden and unexplained jump to June/July. They definitely owe you guys an explanation. Such as, is your car in Long Beach or not? If not, will they move your order to the front of the manufacturing queue? And if not, why on earth not?

Certainly puts our complaining about delays due to pollen back into perspective... :oops:

Well I am still on 5/26, not holding my breath. Yesterday I was told my car is on hold due to accessories. And I don't have accessories. I pressed and they said they're now putting in floor and cargo mats in every car because "of the Toyota problem". Doesn't make sense to me. There's a thread about it (Every LEAF getting floor mats and cargo mats?).

Well, I just got an e-mail from CS, stating that my car has a shipment date of 5/16. This is a first, as I have never been able to nail them down on dates. They say it should arrive in Seattle by 5/31. We shall see....

Incidentally, about 10 minutes later, I got the "your LEAF is coming soon" e-mail, which I guess is the replacement for what used to be the seven-day e-mail.

scharlj said:
Here's my question: If you took delivery of your car in OR or WA in late April, early May and know you were on that boat (or a boat after that one if you know for sure), would you please state (if you know) your date of manufacture, AC fix, shipping, and date/location of delivery?

I took delivery of my Leaf Tuesday May 3rd here in Seattle. The car was manufactured in March and arrived in Long Beach in March (Carwings opened March 19th). Nissan told me that the A/C fix was applied April 11th. My original April 22 date on DB slid to May 5th. Dealer and CS could not tell me anything. I did not receive a 5 day notice by e-mail. The car just showed up at the dealership on Monday May 2nd. Hope your's shows up soon.

scharlj said:
Well I am still on 5/26, not holding my breath. Yesterday I was told my car is on hold due to accessories. And I don't have accessories. I pressed and they said they're now putting in floor and cargo mats in every car because "of the Toyota problem". Doesn't make sense to me. There's a thread about it (Every LEAF getting floor mats and cargo mats?).
I was by CS that my car is on schedule to be delivered by June 3rd. So it is sounding like cars headed to the PNW should all be loaded on the same train and delivered somewhere toward the end of the month. I also still believe in the tooth fairy :lol:

uwskier20 said:
Well, I just got an e-mail from CS, stating that my car has a shipment date of 5/16. This is a first, as I have never been able to nail them down on dates. They say it should arrive in Seattle by 5/31. We shall see....

Incidentally, about 10 minutes later, I got the "your LEAF is coming soon" e-mail, which I guess is the replacement for what used to be the seven-day e-mail.

Wow, that's good news for you! Unfortunately for me, my DB still says 5/26, and as of yesterday it hadn't shipped. I haven't received any emails or calls. I hope it makes it on the same train as yours. If it does, I believe my DB would change, but it hasn't yet. If it doesn't I'll be so mad.......

Back