What is B Mode?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnrhansen

I have a 2013 S without it, and was wondering.. what does a car with B mode have that a car without does not? Meaning, are there any hardware differences, or is just s software change that was implemented for marketing purposes. I notice that the 2015 model has b mode in all versions. Probably added so that they could increase their range number. I wish my car had B mode.

I know what B mode is, at least how it behaves in cars that have it. I have driven both types. If you read my post, you will discover the question is a bit deeper than that. Exactly what are the differences in cars that have B mode to those that don't. Is it just a software difference?

johnrhansen said:
I know what B mode is, at least how it behaves in cars that have it. I have driven both types. If you read my post, you will discover the question is a bit deeper than that. Exactly what are the differences in cars that have B mode to those that don't. Is it just a software difference?

Yes, B-mode just increases regen when no pedal is pressed. There is no (indicated) range impact.

It'd be nice if the brake lights went on with B mode like the BMW I3. My wife just got a 2013 SL and likes B mode (she's driven a Prius for 10 years). I worry that folks behind whom aren't paying attention might rearend her as the brake lights aren't on. True it won't be her fault, but it's a worry of mine. I told her to hover over the brake, but I doubt she'll listen....a taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad hard headed.

This is how the I3 (my next car which is on order...BEV only) does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXJPf7Lv8Sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stillageek said:
It'd be nice if the brake lights went on with B mode like the BMW I3. My wife just got a 2013 SL and likes B mode (she's driven a Prius for 10 years). I worry that folks behind whom aren't paying attention might rearend her as the brake lights aren't on. True it won't be her fault, but it's a worry of mine. I told her to hover over the brake, but I doubt she'll listen....a taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad hard headed.

This is how the I3 (my next car which is on order...BEV only) does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXJPf7Lv8Sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AFAIK, those of us who've been driving sticks all our lives (or who know to downshift automatics, apparently a smaller % of the total) don't suffer an inordinate amount of tail collisions, despite the brake lights not coming on when we're using compression braking to slow down or retard speed when going down a hill. If someone behind you doesn't seem to be paying attention, a slight tap of the brake pedal usually wakes them up, and you can always use the brakes lightly if they're totally clueless that the distance is closing.

That being said, I agree that it's a good idea to have the brake lights automatically come on whenever the deceleration exceeds a certain rate, but not when you're using regen/compression braking just to retard your speed.

I like the way B mode works with no brake lights. I like to keep the ICE drivers clueless to what's going on in front of them. I bet a large % say to themselves this guy's brake lights don't work.

It's the same as manual transmission down shifting, those brake lights don't come on either.

I use B mode all the time.

Indeed, it feels like a lower gear in a manual transmission.

I also get a bit nervous about the folks driving close behind me and not noticing that I am slowing, whether I am driving the Jetta diesel (5 speed manual), or the Leaf. I wind up leaving myself extra room ahead in case it appears that they are not waking up at me flashing the brake lights (after they seem clueless of my compression breaking or B mode).

Now days, 101 seems full of folks that need a lot of help to pay attention.

Alan

At some level of regen, a brake light is appropriate. Especially since it's rather trivial to implement.

When somebody gets into a bad accident or dies they'll do it. It should light up a couple of the brake light LEDs on each side.

The brake lights on every car should light up based on how much pressure you apply to the brakes. If you slam on them all lights should come on at maximum illumination.

This is easy to do on a LEAF since the brake light is made of up of 30 individual LEDs

I hate driving behind two foot drivers who apply their brakes every 1.5 seconds. Drives me nuts.

Not to be a pain in the forum... but brake lights for B mode is off topic.
The OP asked if B mode was just a software change from models without it... or if there was a physical difference between models with vs without...
I assume he wishes to find a way to enable it himself.
Does anyone know the answer?

Flashman said:
The OP asked if B mode was just a software change from models without it... or if there was a physical difference between models with vs without...

+1

Flashman said:

Back