What is your Average miles per kwh?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just traded in my 2018 (aout 33K miles) for a 2020. I have had it for 5 years and averaged 4.9 withought resetting. I am a VERY conservative driver, though.

About 90 days of ownership.
New to the EV world and learning on the fly.
My 2018 SL is mint condition 1 owner and a hoot to drive. Impulse purchased and soley for my daily 46-50 mile commute.

4.1 miles over the 3 month span. Don't know if that's great or horrible, but it sure seems like magic since I RARELY visit a gas station anymore with my F150. :mrgreen:

Amazing little electric go-kart. And actually not so spartan at all. Comfortable, decent stereo with Android Auto, very nice adaptive cruise and Lane Centering......

And charging it every night using an app on the phone from the comfort of my Lazyboy? Amazing.

Late to the party but I'm in now.

embed

3.7 Lifetime of the car, I've owned it for a few years now.
4.2 around town back and forth to work, minimal highway use.
Mine's a 17 SV with the bigger 17" wheels and non LRR tires, I'm thinking of swapping to 16" wheels when the tires need replaced in a year or so I'm guessing, probably about 3.0 or less at 65 mph, tires are at about 40 PSI, any higher and the ride is noticeably bumpier and the car seems less stable.

When temperature is above zero (degrees C), average in my Leaf 24kWh (2014) is 3.25 miles / kWh.
Driving is mixture of highway (60mph) and town (30mph). Driving includes some steep hills.
Maximum is 4.44 miles / kWh.
Minimum (in colder weather, headwinds, wet roads) is 3 miles / kWh.
I notice no difference between B and D modes. Use D mode for most driving; B for steep descents.

My 2018 SL is mint condition 1 owner and a hoot to drive. Impulse purchased and soley for my daily 46-50 mile commute.

4.1 miles over the 3 month span. Don't know if that's great or horrible, but it sure seems like magic since I RARELY visit a gas station anymore with my F150. :mrgreen:

Amazing little electric go-kart. And actually not so spartan at all. Comfortable, decent stereo with Android Auto, very nice adaptive cruise and Lane Centering......

And charging it every night using an app on the phone from the comfort of my Lazyboy? Amazing.

embed

embed
Remember not to leave your Leaf charged to 100% (indicated 100%). Even though an indicated 100% is in reality only about 90% it still stresses the battery slightly. It's OK if you're going to drive it right away but it's not a good idea to charge it every evening to 100% and allow it to sit for 10 or more hours before driving it (especially if charged to 100% on a Friday evening and left to sit until Monday morning). Just a tiny bit of degradation each time but it's cumulative. If your Leaf is a 62kWh (Plus) model than its L2 (6.6kW) on-board charger will recover about 12% every hour, the L1 (1.4kW) on-board charger will add about 2% every hour. You can use these figures to time your charge sessions and keep your battery in the 15-85% SOC zone to maximize battery life. Good luck, I think you're going to love these little Energizer Bunnys, they just keep going and going...........

I've been hovering around 4.7mi/kWh yearly average, for the last couple of years. This year will be a bit less (on track for 4.665). Not using the Leaf as much these days. Was averaging over 10mi/day before the Model Y, now averaging more like 1-2mi/day.

2021+2022.png

My 2016 30kwh, according to the dashboard display, averages 5.0 miles/kwh. I'm not a hypermiler, and I floor it when I need to, but in everyday driving I am always looking at signals & traffic ahead for an opportunity to coast, get regen (via B or ECO in addition to the brake pedal) as much as I can, and use cruise to keep speed constant wherever practical.

I'm lucky to get 5km/kwh 😳
But then, with my 40kwh #LeafBatteryUpgrade, and a twice daily school run of 70km, half motorway, I drive it as fast as I'm allowed (officer!!!) with heat and aircon on, with Zero range Anxiety 😁😁
Nissan Leaf ZE0 24kwh to 40kwh most popular battery upgrade / swap sequence How To with Canbridge

I've been hovering around 4.7mi/kWh yearly average, for the last couple of years. This year will be a bit less (on track for 4.665). Not using the Leaf as much these days. Was averaging over 10mi/day before the Model Y, now averaging more like 1-2mi/day.

View attachment 2940
Wow, 4.7 miles/kWh is incredible. My 2019 SV Plus is a lot heavier and is lucky to achieve 3.9 mi/kWh especially with all the highway driving I do. My old 2015 would only do 4.3 mi/kWh. My 2019 is doing better since changing to Nokian Entyres.

We seem to get a steady 4.3 - 4.4. And we live at the top of a very steep hill. Always takes about 3-4% to drive up it.

Our 2013 Leaf has about 19.2 kwh on it which gives us a range of about 80 miles. We really rushed into our purchase but I have to say we are really enjoying it and having driven it for less than 2 months now we can really see EV's becoming mainstream as time goes on. It will take 20 years but the only issue is range, and that is going to steadily increase as the battery technology progresses.

In our first month we calculated we saved $160 on gas and our car payment is only $210. Not a bad cost of ownership.
3.8 to 4.3 in cold weather and 4.8 to 5.3 in warm weather.

These numbers: Are they from the Leaf display or actual used electricity numbers?

Since I only got mine a few weeks ago, I don't really know what my average is. The display say 17.7 kWh/100 km = 5.6 km/kWh, based on quite a bit of highway driving and ~0 deg C. But I doubt that is anywhere near the real electricity concumption.

Leaf 2021:

(All are miles / kWh)
April: 3.8
May: 4.4
June: 4.6
July: 4.4
August: 4.5
September: 4.5
October: 4.3
November: 3.7
December: 3.6

The most i’ve ever had in a single 13 mile trip was 19.0 miles/kwh back in June, but that was more of a downhill journey than up.

But I think anything above 3.5 miles / kWh average is good.

All the best,
Andy.

Attachments

• IMG_1518.jpeg
    IMG_1518.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 0
My 2016 30kwh, according to the dashboard display, averages 5.0 miles/kwh. I'm not a hypermiler, and I floor it when I need to, but in everyday driving I am always looking at signals & traffic ahead for an opportunity to coast, get regen (via B or ECO in addition to the brake pedal) as much as I can, and use cruise to keep speed constant wherever practical.
I drive with e pedal and eco and never get anywhere near 5 and I always try to anticipate lights, and get regen, etc. I should come ride with you and see how you do it. LOL

Last edited:
These numbers: Are they from the Leaf display or actual used electricity numbers?
Mine are from the Leaf dashboard. I reset the counter at the start of each month.

Counting energy from the wall outlet will of course result in lower numbers as onboard chargers (or offboard in the case of DC chargers) are typically around 90% efficient.

On tire pressures, I'm well above 44psi, on a set of these with ~10K miles on them:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...tireModel=ContiProContact&partnum=055HR6CPCV3
The efficiency improvement associated with higher tire pressures is pretty easy to see. Of course you can go too far with that, and end up with too small of a contact patch, and thus more wear towards the center of the tread. Cornering and braking might suffer a bit too. Edited to add: harsher ride with more tire pressure.

Last edited:
4.2 mi / kWh. 5 years average. 2018 SL + 2018 SV. 65 35 local hwy. Both on Hankook tires now at 39 psi.

Back