What mode do you drive most?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't drive much, and hardly use the range, so I like to turn off Eco and use D mode. Went long distance once and just used Eco mode, don't like B mode because I like to drift to save energy.

My only complaint with D and Eco off is I wish that the brake wasn't so solid and only have ~1 inch of pedal distance to full brakes. I would much prefer 2-3 inches of brake pedal travel distance so I can more accurately apply regen brakes without triggering disc brakes.

I have no experience with B. I now have a 2013 S, but it has ECO on the shift lever as an alternative to D, just like my 2011 had. In the 2011 I used an illogical mix of the two modes, mostly because the car always went to D when I put it "in gear", and I often forgot to "double shift" it to ECO until the lack of go-pedal regen bothered me. But when I was thinking about it I used D on the freeway for milder off-pedal slowing, and ECO on city streets for more go-pedal control of regen.

The big difference for me in my 2013 is that it remembers whether I was last in D or ECO and restores that when I put it in gear, even across power off and power on. Now I drive in ECO all the time, even on the freeway, and never even have to think about it. I just use a very light pressure on the accelerator to slow gently as needed on the freeway. I prefer the additional control of power and regen that I get due to the longer accelerator pedal travel near the top end. And I still know that if I really mash it I will get just as much power as I would in D.

Ray

ksnogas2112 said:
Fourth attempt at the 100 mile club so I'm either in Neutral or ECO right now. I prefer to use Drive normally because it is "lively" and fun.

I always drive in D. The terrain here is fairly flat and the coasting in D seems more beneficial than constantly having to hit the throttle because eco slowed me down too much. When costing to a stop light i always fall short it eco. I made 102 miles in D mode. If i exit from a freeway i'll kick it over to eco. It's totally up for debate, but i seem to do better out of eco. Also the GOM seems to display a more accurate prediction of range.

I have a 2013 S model so I don't have B mode. That being said I use mine almost exclusively in Eco. My commute covers a couple of really long rolling hills and Eco lets me stay at the speed limit without touching the brake. I leave my display on the rolling average mpkWh so that helps me train out of my old lead foot habits.

I'm getting 5.1 mpkWh average on my commute now playing in Eco mode. I just hope I don't get rear-ended on the downhill slopes by someone without regenerative braking.

For what it's worth, if you are going down hill, you can use cruise control to 'simulate' B mode (assuming you would be rolling too fast if you didn't hit the brakes). Cruise control will use aggressive regeneration to slow down, more so than ECO allows, even if you don't have B.

I drive in D 90% of the time because most of the time range is not an issue. I love the pep I get in D. Even when I am not trying I am usually off the line pretty fast.

I drive in ECO and B when I intend on stretching the range.

I really drive this car hard. 2500 miles in and I cant stop going hard off the line and agressive around the city. I love being able to dart in and out of traffic.

At first I used to drive in "ECO" all the time because it is easier to get smooth acceleration. You can always get full power anyway, so I could still jump off the line. As time goes on, I have gained a much steadier foot and drive almost exclusively in "D". I will return to "ECO" in the winter, though, because it tones down the heater significantly.

Back