What should I expect from my one year battery check report?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjherbison

All I got (after asking for a report when none was offered) was a strip of 2-inch wide paper that said:

Measured: 428 CCA
Voltage: 12.38V
Use GR8 or Idle Chrg
for 30min & retest

Test Code: BAT 228 R5Q HX5 BJL

Other people have received more, should I go back, have them charge it for 30 minutes and get a better report?

(The battery was charged to 80% at home, then driven 6 miles in 20 minutes to get to the dealership.)

Wow, yeah I think he's right about that being a 12 volt test and not the traction battery. Don't forget the first two annual checks are free (aka you paid for them when you got the car).

This link should work on what you should expect to see <scroll down to image>:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8128&hilit=annual+battery+report&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It turns out there's a magic date, if you show up a day earlier than a date in their computer you can't get the test. It also appears the dealer had no clue that I wasn't getting the 1 year checkup I asked for. If I hadn't asked about the check (and got the skimpy receipt) I would never have known the "mandatory" check wasn't done.

There are bound to be teething errors (I was of the first Massachusetts customers to get a Leaf) but it is still frustrating to have made a wasted trip.

I showed up four days early for my check and there was no issue with them doing it...

bjherbison said:
It turns out there's a magic date, if you show up a day earlier than a date in their computer you can't get the test.

TomT said:
I showed up four days early for my check and there was no issue with them doing it...
bjherbison said:
It turns out there's a magic date, if you show up a day earlier than a date in their computer you can't get the test.
My dealer's service department told me their computer allows any time within 90 days before or after the year mark.

Ray

planet4ever said:
My dealer's service department told me their computer allows any time within 90 days before or after the year mark.
I guess Nissan e-mail customer support is making information up. Sigh.

I finally got the service manager on the phone. He says the full battery pack check was done, but the information wasn't saved--it can be viewed on the "laptop" or printed, but there is no way to save information.

This doesn't make sense to me, is it accurate?

If I contact Nissan USA, will they be able to confirm whether the check was run?

bjherbison said:
I finally got the service manager on the phone. He says the full battery pack check was done, but the information wasn't saved--it can be viewed on the "laptop" or printed, but there is no way to save information.

This doesn't make sense to me, is it accurate?

If I contact Nissan USA, will they be able to confirm whether the check was run?

From what I've seen of the Consult III software, I'd say that was probably an accurate comment. The funny thing about that software is there appears to be numerous places where the technician has access to a button named "Print for Customer" but then will turn around and say that it's not information that Nissan wants shared with us. Completely bonkers. :?

bjherbison said:
I finally got the service manager on the phone. He says the full battery pack check was done, but the information wasn't saved--it can be viewed on the "laptop" or printed, but there is no way to save information. This doesn't make sense to me, is it accurate? If I contact Nissan USA, will they be able to confirm whether the check was run?
I can believe the information is not saved locally, but it is sent sent somewhere. The printed report we are supposed to get doesn't have much value, but detailed information goes to Nissan for analysis. The dealer I went to for my check last spring told me their printer was broken so they couldn't give me the report. That made me suspicious that they might not have gotten the data at all. I went back six months later to a different dealer with a much more knowledgeable service tech, and mentioned my concern. He turned to his computer, pecked away for maybe thirty seconds, then announced that yes, the check was done, and told me the date.

Ray

If you have a receipt that the battery check was done then you are covered under the battery defect warranty.
Really it does not amount to much except Nissan downloading all the data. Nothing for the vehicle owner.

And yes I would wait until just after the two year mark for the second test.

Back