What test drive?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used Vehicles:

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d05/vc11713_21.htm

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr35.htm

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d05/vc11709_2.htm

New Vehicles:

“THERE IS NO COOLING-OFF PERIOD UNLESS YOU OBTAIN A CONTRACT CANCELLATION OPTION

California law does not provide for a "cooling-off" or other cancellation period for vehicle lease or purchase contracts. Therefore, you cannot later cancel such a contract simply because you change your mind, decide the vehicle costs too much, or wish you had acquired a different vehicle. After you sign a motor vehicle purchase or lease contract, it may only be canceled with the agreement of the seller or lessor or for legal cause, such as fraud."

Used car sales are required to offer you the contract and you must sign a document refusing to accept a contract cancellation agreement if you do not want one. New car sales are not required to present you with the option either way, but you can purchase the agreement for a new car if you want one.

mwalsh said:
Jimmydreams said:
I agree except when it comes to the Leaf, at least for me. I have a 63 mile round trip commute to work and a lot of that is highway. I'm confident that I'll be able to do that with no opportunity charging at work.....BUT, a test drive will solidify that confidence. I plan on getting in the car, checking the 'range' number, then driving about 3-4 miles up the highway at 60mph, then back again. If the round trip test drive is 10 miles, then the range number had better be 75 miles or better. if it is, we have a deal.

I've already kinda done that for you Jimmy....28 miles at full highway speeds from 51 miles showing at the beginning of the run left 19 miles left. Conclusion - there is a slight overhead for traveling at freeway speeds, but not that much. Although I should remind that we did use the AC on low, so maybe the overhead was it rather than the speed. But, in any case, I would suspect 75 miles range is easily doable at 70mph never mind 60mph.

However, I'm still angling for use of a press car for a couple of days during the first few weeks of December (failing getting my OWN car), and my aim is to replicate my own 60 mile commute as many times as possible with a variety of loads on the pack.

Mr. Mwalsh. :) What are your views on the new EPA range of 73 miles?

cdub said:
Mr. Mwalsh. :) What are your views on the new EPA range of 73 miles?

I think it's low. I posted someplace else...I think the 73 miles range is going to turn to out be the most adverse driving conditions by the least conservative driver. I think we'll do consistently better than this figure in regular driving.

its easy to understand being cautious when plunking down $30 K on something without at least looking at it and i am with that.

but i got to see the car, sit in it. inspect it. etc. so it was parked...big deal. i am concerned about size. it works for me. the rest i will compromise on.

i hear people bitch whine and nit pick the Prius. listening to them, you might think that the Prius is the worst car ever made. all i hear is "for $25,000 it should do this, it should do that". so EVERYONE has an opinion and each one of us has to do what they are comfortable with.

but lets face it... its a car, and it will pretty much drive like a car. sure the seats are an issue, but in a car that get a 100 mile range, hours of comfort, etc. not a concern.

a stylish car; not a concern'

an awesome color, ergonomic controls, thises and thatses, etc. not a concern

i am already making a sacrifice buying a car that i will not realistically be able to drive more than about 80 miles a day. that is something i am willing to accept. more than willing. i want EV and i can make compromises. i have waited way too long and i will not jeopardize my delivery date in any way.

to be honest with ya; after accepting the 80 mile limitation, EVERYTHING else put together does not seem to amount to much of anything at all.

my opinion

DaveinOlyWA said:
its easy to understand being cautious when plunking down $30 K on something without at least looking at it and i am with that.

but i got to see the car, sit in it. inspect it. etc. so it was parked...big deal. i am concerned about size. it works for me. the rest i will compromise on.

i hear people bitch whine and nit pick the Prius. listening to them, you might think that the Prius is the worst car ever made. all i hear is "for $25,000 it should do this, it should do that". so EVERYONE has an opinion and each one of us has to do what they are comfortable with <snip> my opinion

I don't disagree that sometimes people have opinions that can be over the top. That aside, the suggestion is that Nissan could have done a better marketing strategy than doing the limited tours with a limited supply of demo models. Even the assistant manager from the local dealership (said he has been in the business for over 25 years) admits that this strategy is unusual.

Nissan's attempt at building up this affordable electric car that will change the future and all the other hype that they put out there on these tours, may create some of these over the top critiques when reality does not match the hype by new owners and prospective owners... i.e., blow back in the way of bitching and complaining.

Final point... certainly $25K is not getting you state of the art vehicle, but at the same time this is not chump change at least for someone like myself that lives on relatively modest income.

Actually, the out-the-door price (with EVSE install) is just a bit shy of $40,000 after-tax dollars. That does not even include an "extended" warranty. If you have to finance it all, that is a sizeable loan, not a $25k loan. No, not inexpensive at all.

Yes, there is the possibility (for some) of getting a $7500 tax credit in about 18 months, and some might possibly get other "refunds" of various sorts.

But still, it is not an "inexpensive" vehicle.

I agree with Dave - a car is a car.

I didn't learn anything from my test drive that I hadn't read about here. The first time we sat in a smart was when we drove ours off the dealer's lot. It's just something we accept as early adopters.

drerio,
Although it would cost you a trip to the mainland, many of us will let you (anyone else here) have a real test drive before your car would arrive in February!

Electric4Me said:
drerio,
Although it would cost you a trip to the mainland, many of us will let you (anyone else here) have a real test drive before your car would arrive in February!

Thanks for offer, but don't have any travel plans prior to my getting the car.

I think many folks out there assume that I am not going to get this car... I'm just not crazy about Nissan's marketing strategy. I simply do not agree that a car is just a car. There are subtle differences in steering, suspension, visibility, etc... as I have already indicated, I have NOT bought cars based on the test drive, Nissan Maxima, Toyota Matrix, Ford Fusion Hybrid, just to name a few. I may be picky, but I want to check these things out. Yes, I will admit, that I am a car salesman's worse nightmare, but I don't step on a lot casually, I do so because I have every intention of buying. And, again this is my opinion.

I am already committed, in fact I am scheduled to have the EVCS installed in a couple of weeks mainly so I can spread out my tax rebates over two years. With the Federal and State tax rebates this will cost me a grand total of $400.... Figuring gas prices and the amount that it takes me to fill up my 1998 Camry, versus the electric cost from my local Power Company providing me with reduced rates during the evening hours (for charging) the break even point will be in about 13 months. Works for me.

With the few added features and the added cost of getting the car from TN to CA and then from CA to HI... my total cost will be a little over $35K, but with the $7,500 Federal and $4,500 State tax rebates, net cost will be comprable to some other cars I thought of buying.

garygid said:
If you had 12 "Test-Only" cars two months ago, what would you have done with them to get better PR?

12 demos? Then this was Nissan's problem to begin with... they submitted an initial press release that they hoped to sell 150K of these vehicles in 25 major markets by mid 2011. Now they estimate that sales could reach 1 million by 2013. Why would you only have 12 prototypes for 25 major markets? they should have put out at least as many prototypes as markets and leave them to circulate between dealerships. If what you are saying is true, only 12 demos, I wonder how committed Nissan is to producing EVs?

It appears they are quite committed, with an emphasis on initial quality and first-user success stories, but perhaps not consumed with the need for a huge roll-out month quantity.

So, given the size of the job (and the several "chuck-holes" they have encountered), I think they are doing an amazingly good job.

garygid said:
It appears they are quite committed, with an emphasis on initial quality and first-user success stories, but perhaps not consumed with the need for a huge roll-out month quantity.

So, given the size of the job (and the several "chuck-holes" they have encountered), I think they are doing an amazingly good job.

As a future first-user I hope you are right

Back