What's the minimum electric-car range for mass acceptance? Poll results

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marktm said:
GRA said:
Many of them will need to buy used, so degradation will also be critical, as lower income people in major urban areas typically have to live further from work as gentrification drives them out of the urban cores.
Don't forget us "suburban" types that can use a 40-60 miler as a glorified NEV - at a very affordable price due to the "degradation" that will eventually occur in every BEV. Still amazed at the quality, handling, A/C anytime, full features (that work), low maintenance, fun driving (and "fuel" cost savings) - it is our vehicle of choice 90% of the time.
Some which have degraded beyond the point of usefulness for commuting will undoubtedly be re-purposed as 'luxury' NEVs; that may well be the major secondary or tertiary market for them.

Follow-on GCR poll to the one in the topic title, same Twitter followers:
How low do prices for 200-mile electric cars have to go for success? Poll results
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1106044_how-low-do-prices-for-200-mile-electric-cars-have-to-go-for-success-poll-results

11% $35k
24% $30k
49% $25k
16% $20k

GCR notes that
Twitter limits the space for questions and answers, so we couldn't get into the complexities of sticker price versus "effective" price after the Federal income-tax credit and any state incentives.
I think it will take $30k or less sans subsidies for the general public to start to pay attention, and $25k or less ditto before mass acceptance is reached.

Back