Where do you charge? Have you needed EVSE charging adapters?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo69ny

I currently own a PIP and I am buying a Rav EV.

I am building a portable dual voltage OpenEVSE with a male 14-50 plug on it. Seeing as how there are so many of you Leaf guys on here I thought Id ask you guys what type of adapters you have needed/used the most.

I was thinking of buying/building a 14-50 female to 5-15 male, and a 14-50 female to 5-20 male for use in hotel rooms with ac units.

Are there any other adapters that you have used or needed?

I charge at work.

I do roughly 80% of my charging at work, because my workplace offers free charging. I try to minimize my impact, and I generally do most of my charging before anyone gets in. I'm often the first one there.

I've considered getting the EVSE Upgrade, but have yet to do so because I hate shipping. I like instant gratification :p

I've also considered options like JuiceBox, and I will likely go this route. I love DIY stuff, and the kit lets me build my own. I live in a rental, so I'd be adapting existing outlets. Otherwise, I'd go all-out and get the ClipperCreek HCS-100 :D

Your most helpful adapters would be 10-30 and 5-15. Not many houses have any 6-series outlets, and a dryer is likely to be a 10-30 (pre 1990) or 14-30 (post 1990). A 14-50 would likely only be in a kitchen with an electric range/oven. There are universal 14 adapters that will work in all variants (except locking), so you might not need an adapter for this (depending on the physical size and shape of the neutral pin). Most window AC units in excess of the supply of a 5-15 will likely be a 10-20 or 10-30, not a 5-20. Devices with a 5-20P are rather rare, while almost all 5-20R take 5-15P.

The JESLA 40 amp portable J1772 charging solution is available with the following plugs which are each coded to deliver the appropriate charge without overloading the circuit:

....................................................VOLTS / AMPS.......kW
NEMA 5-15 .......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel air conditioner 120/16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers..... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-50......RV Parks ........... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW

I most often use a NEMA 10-30R outlet for opportunity charging at a friend or relatives house. I purchased an appropriate adapter cord from EMW (with my JuiceBox) for $49, although the price recently dropped to $39. As someone else stated, these type of "230V" outlets are commonly used for electric driers in older built homes, but adapters with a NEMA 10-30P, that convert from a NEMA 14-50R on the other end, (as required by a standard configuration of the JB), are not very common. I could not find one on Ebay or Amazon. Frankly, if you want to charge from a 120V outlet in a motel room, you might as well just buy a weatherproof, heavy duty, NEMA 5-15R (or -20R) outlet extension cord from Costco, and use the OEM 120V charger that came with the car.

http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/product/show/54-juicebox-adapters-input-cables

Most of my Charges are on the L2 @ work.
Few times on weekends, I've done L1 @ home,
Charged at 3x L2 (two were free (1 "free" one need Chargepoint Card to start it but was free, Just need card to start-it, ) one charged/Chargepoint when doing two longer trips out of the normal range of my Leaf.

After a few hours of "research" I stumbled across this document which answers pretty much every question I had.
http://cosmacelf.net/Home%20Made%20Adapters.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are looking for any kind of adapter or info for an ev or EVSE, check that document out. That guy did his homework!!!!

One thing not listed here I found quite useful on trips. Some old rv parks never upgraded to the 50 amp 14-50 outlet or have very few of them. They all have multiple 120 volt tt-30 outlets. I built a box that combines opposite 120 volt outlets to make 240. I built it with safety relays so that if one plug comes out, there is no shock hazard. There are diagrams posted here. It's good for the full 30 amps so I can charge full bore. I'm not sure if anyone builds those. I found it easier just to build it myself. 30 amp contactors can get spendy, so I'd build it with 2 small cheap control relays that power a 240 volt coil for the single 30 amp contactor. That box with a couple 25 foot extension cords will set you up nicely. I think I might build a 25 amp adjustable evse next time that has provisions inside for this so I dont have to carry around 2 boxes. Right now my portable unit is a full sized bosch power max. But im sick of lugging it around, plus I have another place to install that unit.

Back