Where do you plan to install the EVSE in your garage ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Where are you planning to get the EVSE installed in the garage ?

The ideal location in my garage would be between the two cars - but that is occupied by the water heater.

evse.png

Depends upon the clearance around the parked car.

However, if you might need to charge your (or a friend's) car in the driveway, consider the location on the wall near the panel.

Also, consider the 25 foot cord.

garygid said:
Depends upon the clearance around the parked car.

However, if you might need to charge your (or a friend's) car in the driveway, consider the location on the wall near the panel.

Also, consider the 25 foot cord.
Yep, I think for most installs the recommended location will be on the nearest side-wall...

You don't have to unhook every coil of the cord to plug it into the car. If you have 5 5' coils on the wall and the car is 3' away then you only have to undo (lift) one coil to plug it in. And with a 25' cord you should be able to plug into a car in the driveway if you need to. Most garages are 20'-22' deep. A Leaf parked up to the door should be able to be plugged in with a 25' cord.

Just finished running a 1" conduit w/ wire to the front left of my garage wall which is 20' to the garage door. Also have two 120V circuits in a box at the same location, one that goes to a GFI breaker.

drees said:
Yep, I think for most installs the recommended location will be on the nearest side-wall...

Yes, that is the other option I have (EVSE 3 below). Have it just next to the panel. But I'd have to come to the other side of the car after parking take it to the front of the car and plug it. Possibly fighting with the lawn mover and other stuff on my way :lol:

The other good thing about the location I've shown infront of the car is potentially I can park the car on the left side and easily be able to reach it without running the cable in the middle of the garage over the other car or later when I get anothe EV to replace the other ICE car, I can charge both from the same EVSE !

One more option - though more difficult to install is to put the EVSE infront of the left car (EVSE 2). This would make the EVSE easily accessible.

evse.png

Gee, if the EVSE was plug-in, you could move it around to the most convenient position. Too bad the very bright standards people did not realize that EVs are mobile.

Oh, "plugging in" occasionally would be too ... dangerous, difficult, delightful?

So, to use the AV EVSE some weeks in the carport, other times in the guest parking area, other times at grandma's house, and sometimes in the garage, ... I only need to permanently install four EVSEs ... over $8800 just to "safely" avoid plugging into AC occasionally ... the result of years of planning to avoid using an extension cord?

Maybe I will have to design the safety functions into a J1772 plug's "handle", to be used at the end of a "normal" (heavy duty) 3-wire "extension cord", and provide for standard adapters to plug into commonly-found "utility" sockets. The J1772 plug itself would still not go "HOT" until plugged into the car.

It could be called the Super-Darwinizer", to help with balancing the gene pool.

Of course, the seal on the package would (like some important PC software) say that is expressly not guaranteed for any purpose or use whatsoever, and the user assumes all liability for any and all use ... blah, blah ...

If there's a good chance that one will charge in the driveway, and if said person has a high probability of parking on the right side of the garage, than my vote is for the spot by the panel.

The geek in me, though, wonders about putting the EVSE on a 24" square piece of plywood, suspended from the ceiling in the center of the garage, with something like a pull-down stairway mechanism or maybe a pulley and counterweight. Pull down to access and charge, push up to get out of the way. No stress with bicycles, lawnmowers, or tripping on cables. It might work for a car on either side of the garage and possibly the driveway as well. [hmmm...electric winch, wireless remote control...time to hit the robot parts websites...!]

The fuel islands at truck stops have "satellite" pumps, so there are hoses on both sides of the truck but only one set of "dials" (and man those numbers add up in a hurry).

I can picture a multi-vehicle EVSE for your arrangement that has two six-foot cords, one on either side of the water heater and maybe a third 15' weatherproof just outside the garage to service a vehicle in the driveway. The EVSE would be programmed for a total current draw, and would have some way to specify a policy for prioritizing the individual stations.

Nice, flexible idea, easy to do with a piece of flex conduit ... but probably illegal due to the flexing of the 240v wires. A FIXED location is probably required.

I might try to have the 240v wiring run to a junction box in the wall, right behind the EVSE's location.

If I "get" 30 feet of conduit, I might specify two junction boxes, at two different useful locations in the 30' wide garage.

Then, the EVSE COULD be wired to a plug, and a socket COULD be put into the junction box. Of course, that would be ILLEGAL for somebody to do that.

Also, the EVSE "box" is supposed to be difficult for a "consumer" to open, perhaps requiring some special tool once the "waterproof" enclosure snaps together.

The AV 240v EVSE is sufficiently "weatherproof" for outside installations.

However, each would need its own dedicated breaker, since (as designed) they are apparently "dumb" and have no way to "cooperate" with other similar EVSE units.

And, multiple units, at $2200 each (installed, with the AV 3-year service ... that appears to exclude covering most things), get to be expensive.

Even one EVSE (before cedit, if any) is about 20% of the car price (after all CA and Fed credits).

Sort of like being required to buy a $2000 drip-guard funnel for any "fast" fueling of your gas car ... that can only be used at ONE station. Without the "special" funnel, you could fuel anywhere, but only fuel at one ounce per minute, for your own "consumer" safety!

BTW, my garage is 20'x20'. And I'm hoping for a EV Project free EVSE.

I think when I need to charge a friend's car I can swap out my car in the garage.

Where are you guys planning to install the EVSE in your garage ?

LTLFTcomposite said:
The fuel islands at truck stops have "satellite" pumps, so there are hoses on both sides of the truck but only one set of "dials" (and man those numbers add up in a hurry).

I can picture a multi-vehicle EVSE for your arrangement that has two six-foot cords, one on either side of the water heater and maybe a third 15' weatherproof just outside the garage to service a vehicle in the driveway. The EVSE would be programmed for a total current draw, and would have some way to specify a policy for prioritizing the individual stations.

There are EVSEs with dual cords, but AFAIK none are designed for personal use. For example, http://www.pepstations.com
sidebar_image06.jpg

I have essentially no available wall space (and very little parking space) in my 3-car garage. :(

The most "available" spot is right near the panel, on an unfinished wall (but I could add some wallboard), but over 25 feet from the one usable car slot, and difficult (open a second garage door) to see or access.

So, before I can consider an install, I will need to do some planning and re-arranging so the EVSE (if I have a fixed-location model installed) can be in an "accessible", convenient location.

Oh yes, and decide if the purchase of the LEAF will work out for us "older" folks.

In the mean time, the "supplied" L1 120v EVSE will do, and the LEAF usage would be "restained" to the more "local" types of uses.

Perhaps some (totally unknown) person will discover (illegal) mods to make the 120v EVSE work at 240v, and make the fixed 12 amp setting variable, perhaps up to 32 amps.

If this person wants to chat, they can PM me.

I would sure like to get the price on buying a replacement 120v EVSE.

garygid said:
I have essentially no available wall space (and very little parking space) in my 3-car garage. :(

So you have converted the garage completely into a store room ?

I did this scale drawing in early June because our summer project (in 105 degree heat) has been to reclaim our garage. Only one car, a VW Beetle, has fit in it for years. We decided to have cabinets built along the left and back wall. I used this diagram when meeting with the cabinet guy. We have thrown out, given away, and Craiglisted tons of stuff so what we have left should fit in the cabinets. The cabinets will be installed this Friday, July 16.

The 1 foot deep wall cabinets on the left side will be at least 64 inches above the floor so an opened door will not hit the LEAF. God forbid!!

The LEAF will park on the left side with the EVSE on the wall near its front end. Our electrical panel box is on the outside wall at the lower left. Installers will just have to drill through the brick wall from the panel and then run conduit under the wall cabinets to the charger. Should be simple. If I want to charge it or another LEAF in the driveway, the 25 foot cord should reach easily.

The two walls where the cabinets will be, were painted off white this week. I used up a couple of old cans of paint. But the wall with the EVSE next to the LEAF will be painted Santa Fe Gold. It will be a nice contrast to the Planet Blue LEAF, the green EVSE, and toolbox. We'll be ready to give our LEAF a nice place to get juiced up!

screenshot20100711at141.png

Here's mine:
EVSE.JPG

At the time of assessment they make you post a picture of the EVSE on your wall where you want it, then they take a photo and make you sign the form that shows it where you put it so you can't change your mind on the location without consequences (higher quote?) I measured and 15 feet has almost 2 feet to spare whether I park the Leaf in spot Car 1 or Car 2 (driveway).

Back