Who installs the EVSE's for the Volt?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Icebox2000 said:
I really like how they call the Volt a hybrid instead of an electric car.

In fact the Volt IS a Hybrid. The Description is correct.

More importantly, I am glad no one got hurt, the main portion of their home is safe and they figure out what caused the fire.

I'd wonder more about dodgy wiring than the Volt itself. I wonder what the fire crew actually saw.

P.S. I don't know why the OP is so giddy over this horrible news. We should want ALL electric vehicles to be successful. This tech is still striving for general acceptance and a bad stumble by any of the major players would hurt all of us.

davewill said:
I don't know why the OP is so giddy over this horrible news. We should want ALL electric vehicles to be successful. This tech is still striving for general acceptance and a bad stumble by any of the major players would hurt all of us.

+1

davewill said:
I'd wonder more about dodgy wiring than the Volt itself. I wonder what the fire crew actually saw.

P.S. I don't know why the OP is so giddy over this horrible news. We should want ALL electric vehicles to be successful. This tech is still striving for general acceptance and a bad stumble by any of the major players would hurt all of us.

Concur. Expect this story to get played up by oil interests. Saudi Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal is the 2nd largest shareholder of Newscorp. Only a matter of time before it's on FOX News. Fear is their #1 product.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100820/bs_yblog_upshot/news-corps-number-two-shareholder-funded-terror-mosque-planner

If I had to bet I'd say the likely vehicular cause would be the home brew EV, not the Volt. There have been L1-only Prius plug in conversions that have started garage fires (I believe due to faulty wiring + overcharging from not using a properly engineered charge controller, but I can't quite remember the specifics), and I'm sure there have been home converted EVs that have had that problem as well.

It could have also been a can of gasoline, paint can, or some other combustible material that was stored in the garage. I am fairly certain it's got nothing to do with the Volt though.

Not so sure Fox/Oil will jump on this. Last I checked gasoline was very flammable and very capable of exploding. Oil does not like to talk about fire because it just reminds everyone of oil rigs burning into the sea, spills, etc.

Devin said:
It could have also been a can of gasoline, paint can, or some other combustible material that was stored in the garage. I am fairly certain it's got nothing to do with the Volt though.
Well, since it was "fire officials" who fingered the Volt, I am assuming they saw something that pointed that direction. You can bet GM will watching this investigation closely.

davewill said:
Devin said:
Well, since it was "fire officials" who fingered the Volt, I am assuming they saw something that pointed that direction. You can bet GM will watching this investigation closely.
I would be much more likely to have faith in the "fire officials" if they were, say, LAFD. But, according to the town's website...

There are three fire departments located in Barkhamsted. The Pleasant Valley Volunteer Fire Department, Riverton Volunteer Fire Company, and Barkhamsted East Volunteer Fire Company. The town employs one paid daytime driver/firefighter to assist the volunteers during normal work hours.

Nothing against volunteer fire fighters (I am a CERT volunteer with the LAFD) but they likely aren't trained in fire investigation any more than we are and just thought "crazy new EV hybrid vehicle, that must be the problem." We'll just have to wait for the state fire marshall report. GM may also have logs about the Volt's charging/battery state through OnStar that could help in the investigation, I'm sure they'll turn over whatever data they have if their EULA allows it.

TRONZ said:
Icebox2000 said:
I really like how they call the Volt a hybrid instead of an electric car.

In fact the Volt IS a Hybrid. The Description is correct.

That's what I'm saying... Most of the places I seen the Volt mentioned, it's called an electric car. If gas goes in it for any reason, it's not an electric car. I'm sorry to rant, it was just one of my irritations.

Back