Who owns these cars?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both my wife and I like cars but I am more of a gear head than her. I have always worked on cars and this was a big shift. We wanted something practical to complement our other car. I'm also a techy so the technology aspect (and being an early adopter) is what got me. I like the idea of using a lot less gasoline as well. When I drive it I try to be frugal most of the time, just because the experience (numbers on the dash and trees growing) makes it fun. Now our garage has one car that needs no maintenance (Leaf) and one car that does, so my wrenching needs have halved, but that's okay with me.

If I ever feel the itch I can always take the Subaru Turbo out, otherwise it sits patiently waiting for the occasional long'ish trip.

I'm also am both a techie and a gearhead/motorhead. I've owned quite a few 400+ HP cars, but as I'm getting older the allure of wrenching my own cars has greatly diminished. Since I bought the Prius in 2006, I haven't had to do anything to it other than change the oil and keep it cleaned and waxed. I run a business out of my home for the past 4 years, so I have no commute, and a LOT of my driving is just short errands around town. The PHEV mod to my Prius gave me a nice taste for electric driving, but I want more, and have the solar to charge it. :D

azrael1234 said:
I was less the technology (although it's pretty impressive) and more the economics and practicality of it.

$10,000 in tax credits ($7500 feds, $2500 from state of CA)
$14,400 in saved fuel costs (was spending $250 a month on gas, and electric bill only went up $50, so net $200 savings)
3 years of carpool lane access (state of CA)

All for a car that cost me $38K (tax/licensing included)...so essentially I got a brand new car with a lot of extras (nav, bluetooth, leather (dealer thru it in)) for ~$15K...car would have been even cheaper without leather and the quick charger.

I commute 50 miles a day round trip and always have 10-20 miles left in the "tank". I even just charge up with 120V when I get home and when I wake up, car's ready to go...With carpool lane I cut my commute by 45-60 minutes (already sleep deprived enough with a newborn)...

And to boot I'm helping the environment....Just made so much practical sense, especially if you're a two car family and can switch cars on the days you need more range.
I echo azrael1234's sentiments almost exactly, except 2 sleep-sucking little ones and I got in just in time for the $5000 state rebate. :) No leather though. :( Oh and I got the EVSE upgraded to use with an old dryer outlet in my garage on 240v.

umsneeze said:
My Leaf is on the way, looks like early January. I'm a car guy and normally look for horsepower, handling and performance. But for a daily driver something economical is in order. Are there others here like me? Or are most motivated by reducing oil use or being environmentally friendly?

I've found that many of my friends and colleagues think the Leaf is crazy and I'm sure my Christmas gifts this year will be extension cords or Duracell packs. But my car guy friends (including an automotive journalist, an owner and mechanic for a high end car repair shop, and a new Ferrari owner) are all excited to see it.

I'm all for the environtal aspects, less petroleum use, but frankly I just think it is a cool technological marvel. Anyone else like me?

LOL... I just found this thread and I'm happy it exists. :) I'm in the same boat as some people hear, maybe even to a more extreme extent. I am a motorsports and a Nissan enthusiast, over the past 16 years I've competed in every from Formula SAE to AutoX and from casual drag racing to Time Attack. I've had 15 cars over the past 16 years, 7 of the 15 which were/are Nissans, 4 of the 7 were/are used for motorsports. If cut I bleed red, black and silver (the colors of Nismo). ;) S13's, S14's, B13's B15's, Z33's, I've owned 'em and worked on 'em all and I've raced them in various amateur racing events.

Suffice to say most of my friends and people I socialize w/ are in the same hobby and/or are automotive enthusiasts as well. It was a very difficult thing to deal with them when I told them that I would be picking up a Leaf earlier this year. Reaction to the news was mixed. It ranged from casual curiosity (an attempt to be polite), flat out laughter, to some just completely disregarding my sanity and a few were actually being offended by my purchase. If there are people out there that have a genuine intense hatred for EVs because of what they are and nothing else, I happen to be friends w/ at least 2 of them. Once I got the car some of my car guy friends have come around (alright.... really just one of them) and has started asking questions about it and is slowly coming around to the idea that this could be a viable means for motorsports. There is a LONG way to go to change the mindsets of automotive enthusiasts when it comes to EV's but it looks like the best way to show them is by example. I am bouncing the idea around of campaigning my Leaf next year in one of the local autoX series (primarily since it is the only motorsports that I can think of where it has a possibility of matching or excelling in comparison to anything else) but I really don't know if I can handle the constant razzing.

I'm w/ you on the whole technology aspect as well, I have the belief that this could be the future of motosports. I'm paying close attention to the Isle of Man TT for the day when and EV grabs the record. Yeah, I hear ya; I can't even spell 'environtal' either since it had nothing to do w/ my reasons for buying one. ;)

Strangely enough I too owned a 1990 240SX (I think that makes 3 of us with that exact year and model if I counted correctly). It was great fun. The Leaf is fun in its own way. Breezing by others in the carpool lane, the high-torque rush from a stop, and the excitement of wondering if I'm going to get home or not (just kidding, no range issues here). FWIW, I owned a Subaru Forester in between the 240SX and the Leaf. The Forester was my practical phase.

Back