Wife wants to swap cars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think she may adjust as needed when the LBW starts to chime every day. No worries.
Are you really tied to a 2011? Get a 2014 when the Volt goes back and let her continue with her decision.

Rat said:
My greater concern about the original post whether the wife knows that is how she is perceived.

lol!! oh i am pretty sure the issue has been brought up before. My SO is the same way and any discussion on the topic is a waste of time. it simply does not change her habits in anyway.

On the other hand, if you make the swap, then the trash or door dings or whatever will be her problem anyway. If you can live comfortably with how she treats the Volt now, then why would it be different for the Leaf?

my guess is more along the lines of teeth ground down, "hog tieing" of the tongue, sore neck muscles from all that "looking the other way" kinda of thing.

The first time she forgets to plug in the Leaf and doesn't have enough charge in the morning, her failure to plug it in will stop. Just make sure to be out of the house with the other car first that day so she can't leave you with the 1 bar Leaf.

if i did that, i wouldnt have to worry about packing my stuff. (just hope it aint raining because i dont want all my stuff to be wet!)

I am not certain what half your assets are, but I would suspect they are more then the cost difference between a new leaf and the residual on this one. If momma ain't happy, no one is happy. Give up your leaf and be prepared to drive her to work when she doesn't charge it. This is the easiest way to a happy marriage.

Thanks for all of the replies. It seems the overwhelming opinion is to make the swap. I would like to just point out one other thing that has been brought up and wanted to clear things up. For the last year or so we've already made the Leaf our primary family car. Whenever we go somewhere in the evenings or weekends we take the Leaf. Even if my wife goes out shopping or whatever in the evening, she takes the Leaf. This is primarily because of the mileage issue. We have had many discussions about our differences in how a car is kept. So she is well aware of my opinions. She does tend to give my car more respect than her own when she drives it because she knows I'll be upset if she does not. However, I have caught her eating and drinking in the car before on more than one occasion. She has spilled Dr.Pepper in her own car on many occasions, fortunately the Volt has leather seats so it cleans off. The carpet is more difficult. Fortunately she has never spilled anything in the Leaf (that I know of).

Now, having said that... There is another issue to consider. Since the Leaf is our primary family car and also my car then that means when the family goes out together we are driving a clean car. However, if we make the swap then the Leaf will still be our family car but will now be trashed. So at that point when we go out as a family we'd be riding in the "trash mobile" as I like to call it.

We have not yet made a decision on this. We're still talking about it.

Elephanthead said:
I am not certain what half your assets are, but I would suspect they are more then the cost difference between a new leaf and the residual on this one. If momma ain't happy, no one is happy. Give up your leaf and be prepared to drive her to work when she doesn't charge it. This is the easiest way to a happy marriage.

Not sure why the issue of marital harmony and divorce keeps getting raised. My understanding is the wife thinks swapping is financially advantageous, not because she has a particular desire for the car or that the car would make her happier.

Actually it sounds to me like she'd be happier with the Volt, all else being equal, as she wouldn't be penalized for a missed charge and can run the climate control as suits her and doesn't have to make any compromises to her driving style.

I just don't see the assertion that not "getting" the LEAF would upset her, much less cause a schism?

I'm thinking that there ought to be some concessions for trading vehicles. If you have to trade to save miles/money and everyone benefits from that savings, then it's a good time to come to a concensus about the cleanliness of both vehicles.

Starting the day of the swap, every driver is responsible for removing their "miscellaneous items (trash)" upon exiting the car each day. Change is hard (and a car swap is a big change), but this is a simple habit to work into your daily routine (and for goodness sake, it's all about POO - Pride of Ownership! :p ). Set up a reward system, whereas, at the end of each week, the cleanest car gets a special treat and make that reward worth the challenge, within your limits (Pavlov's dog ;) ).

I suspect the car may not be the only area of your life that this is a problem (how is she/other family members treating your home?). Make it about turning a negative into a positive and you might discover this to be a successful way to resolve this problem in areas besides the cars.

adric22 said:
Thanks for all of the replies. It seems the overwhelming opinion is to make the swap. I would like to just point out one other thing that has been brought up and wanted to clear things up. For the last year or so we've already made the Leaf our primary family car. Whenever we go somewhere in the evenings or weekends we take the Leaf. Even if my wife goes out shopping or whatever in the evening, she takes the Leaf. This is primarily because of the mileage issue. We have had many discussions about our differences in how a car is kept. So she is well aware of my opinions. She does tend to give my car more respect than her own when she drives it because she knows I'll be upset if she does not. However, I have caught her eating and drinking in the car before on more than one occasion. She has spilled Dr.Pepper in her own car on many occasions, fortunately the Volt has leather seats so it cleans off. The carpet is more difficult. Fortunately she has never spilled anything in the Leaf (that I know of).

Now, having said that... There is another issue to consider. Since the Leaf is our primary family car and also my car then that means when the family goes out together we are driving a clean car. However, if we make the swap then the Leaf will still be our family car but will now be trashed. So at that point when we go out as a family we'd be riding in the "trash mobile" as I like to call it.

We have not yet made a decision on this. We're still talking about it.

I dont envy you but have to say, your life could be a carbon copy of mine. I fully expect you to say that she gets a latte every morning, drinks half of it and then leaves the half empty cup in the car for weeks just waiting to be spilled. (actually I find the cups with the remaining liquid so dried up it wont spill any more...)

good luck!

I just thought I'd throw in an update here.

I've been driving the Volt now for a month. Since the weather is warm, by wife has been coming home in the Leaf with about 30 miles left on the GOM. The good news is I haven't burned any gas at all since the swap. In fact I think the lowest amount of EV range I've seen since driving the Volt is about 14 miles. And obviously my wife hasn't burned any in the Leaf.

I will say I'm liking the Volt more and more. I still much prefer the user-friendliness of the controls on the Leaf. But I'm liking the Volt better from a perspective of ride. The steering wheel is more sporty, the car is lower, the seats are nicer (they are leather) and the car just feels more sporty to drive. And since the Volt pretty much works for me as a full-time EV, I'm beginning to think I should have gotten one from the start. Oh, and it is easier to wash too. The Leaf is just about tall enough that I can barely stretch to clean the roof. If I were any shorter I'd need a step ladder. Not so with the Volt.

eclecticflower said:
Great to hear. So how clean is the LEAF? Have you resolved your dirty car fears?
Hahaha.. Um. Lets just say that the Volt is now very clean inside and out. The Leaf, not so much. Especially the outside. She's done a bit better job keeping the inside clean than usual, though.

Back