Winter 2013, now which rubber mats are best for a Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatsShootsandLeafs

I've searched the forum for winter mats. IMO the best mats out there are Husky Weatherbeater or Weathertech. I have Husky in both of my other cars and they are completely awesome and custom fit, but neither manufacturer has mats for the 11 or 12 Leafs (the 12 very slightly different fit than the 11 due to rear heater). Generic fit rubber mats like from Walmart are, in my experience, worse than worthless.

One individual bought Weathertech Versa mats and with some cutting got an OK fit but not perfect.

dgpcolorado has oft-repeated this link: http://www.nissanaccessories247.com/leaf-accessories/leaf-interior/999E4-8X000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with coupon code FREESHIP. People are reporting these mats fit quite well, though the glaring oversight I immediately notice is that, unlike with Husky or Weathertech, the rear mats are not a single unit that wraps around the hump (part of the reason they are awesome).

Are these OEM mats the best right now? I wonder if something from a Toyota Matrix or Corolla or Sentra or who knows what would fit well from Husky or Weathertech?

EDIT: I've just emailed Weathertech and Husky to see if they have a close approximation for the Leaf, though they may be hesitant to recommend anything that isn't a perfect made-for-the-car fit. I'll update this if I hear back.

I have the OEM All-Weather mats on a 2011 Leaf. Love the fit of the mats for the front seats, but the two for the rear don't protect as well. The rear mats only cover the flat area and do nothing for corners where dust/dirt can get deposited (just means I need to vacuum a bit more often).

waitingforaleaf said:
I have the OEM All-Weather mats on a 2011 Leaf. Love the fit of the mats for the front seats, but the two for the rear don't protect as well. The rear mats only cover the flat area and do nothing for corners where dust/dirt can get deposited (just means I need to vacuum a bit more often).
I'll get these if they really are the best option now, but there's got to be something that would fit! So many cars, surely one has a similar shape :)

Response from Weathertech is that they have no mats that fit nor that they recommend at this time, but invite people to fill out a request at their website for a new product. That is not a bad idea, though i don't think it means they can have something ready in a week or two ;)

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Response from Weathertech is that they have no mats that fit nor that they recommend at this time, but invite people to fill out a request at their website for a new product...
That's the same response from Weathertech as a year ago.

DeaneG said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Response from Weathertech is that they have no mats that fit nor that they recommend at this time, but invite people to fill out a request at their website for a new product...
That's the same response from Weathertech as a year ago.
Not surprised, really. If you think about how much it must cost for them to make even three molds (front mats and the single rear) plus the small percentage of total owners who'd actually buy these mats I just doubt they can make money out of it.

Husky got back to me and will look into it a bit more as to whether something else fits. I'll post when I hear more.

I absolutely do love the two sets of huskies I have for my other two cars. Unfortunately the prius ones REALLY don't fit in the leaf!

im into this post too, I tried some Michelin brand mats (returned) and they didn't make the cut, literally

Thank you for the information.

I sent a product request to Weathertech.

http://www.weathertech.com/service/product-request-form/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If we get enough owners to fill out requests. We may see results.

I've been watching this thread with some interest and way back also logged a suggestion to weathertech as well ... I'm currently using a 'generic' weathertech mat (all black with a red pinstripe but the heavy all weather grade ones) from a few generations of car use that fit just OK; unfortunately it looks like these finally wore through (on one side of course!) and will need to be replaced -- I think I've had these since they were on a '98 New Beetle or even earlier so they've served me quite well. It would be nice to have ones that fit better but even the general fit ones aren't bad. In looking at their site though these aren't available anymore, just the lower grade ones that are cut to fit. As the LEAF gets driven in the snow and salt winters here these would be welcome --- on another note, weathertech doesn't carry these for the Chevy Volt or Mitsu 'i' so all the lower volume EV's aren't available, not just our LEAF>

http://www.carid.com/2012-nissan-leaf-rubber-mats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

????

Mauileaf said:
http://www.carid.com/2012-nissan-leaf-rubber-mats/

????

not bad, the clear ones look like the same material they use for clear office chair mats with the 'spikes' underneath to hold them in place, the colored ones don't appear to be very thick but if these were cut to fit maybe a step above the generics --- even though the main photo link show the Weathertech mats you'll notice that they only offer these two LLOYD branded ones. I almost think someone has bought Lloyds mats but a forum search is in order. In any case the problem I see with these is that any water will roll right off and not much will get trapped on the mat like the Weathertech or even Nissan OEM ones; not a great design.

Mauileaf said:
http://www.carid.com/2012-nissan-leaf-rubber-mats/

????
Unfortunately no lip, so really serve very little purpose, as the first bit of snow that melts will find its way to the edge and onto the carpet. That is why the weathertech/husky are so fabulous.

I didn't hear back from Husky about how a Juke's mats fit, so I assume it's a dead end.

I may hit up my salesman to see if he could check a juke's winter mats and their fit for a leaf, but otherwise it looks like the only real option are the same mats some others have been buying a while back.

The black rubber OEM mats have a substantial lip, front and rear, and I think they look very nice so long as you give them a quick hose spray once in a while. It's true that the rear mats can slide around a bit, but not all that much. I am very satisfied with mine, and use them year round.

Ray

planet4ever said:
The black rubber OEM mats have a substantial lip, front and rear, and I think they look very nice so long as you give them a quick hose spray once in a while. It's true that the rear mats can slide around a bit, but not all that much. I am very satisfied with mine, and use them year round.

Ray
Yes. I drive in snow and on dirt roads (mud) and I wouldn't be without the rubber LEAF mats. But I rarely carry passengers in the rear so the rear mats are pretty much irrelevant to me, although they seem to work well enough for the outboard seats.

I don't get the reluctance to just go with the regular rubber LEAF mats, to me they were worth every penny.

Thanks. Will order the regular in light of nothing from Husky and the fact that y'all are saying they are pretty usable :)

I of course will use them all year, too. On my other cars I buy Husky right away and put the mats in storage until get rid of car. Regular carpeted mats really are absolutely worthless to me.

Mats came in today from marlboro nissan. Definitely would recommend, especially with the FREESHIP code.

All the mats fit very well. The passenger side not perfect due to the 2011/2012 change, but the difference is only barely worth mentioning; it's a totally functional fit.

The weakness of course is that the two rear mats aren't quite as extensive in coverage as on a Husky brand mat and, most significantly, are two mats instead of a single covering the middle hump--that is just an awesome thing in the husky mats we don't see here.

That said, the rubber is hefty and thick and the lips particularly for the driver are quite significant, so should hold a good bit of snow run off before overflowing.

We just got the mats from Marlboro Nissan. The cardboard box was mangled but the mats were fine. They fit our 2011 perfectly (no cold weather package). Other than the color they are perfect.

Decided to order these from Marlboro as well after doing a fairly thorough search, a few others (seems as always) have the unit sale price cheaper (as low as $69) but charge very high rates for shipping so these folks are quite competitive as well as saving sales tax not being in MA. The current 'universal' Weathtech's we have in the car are finally wearing through as well as I think one of the mechanics punched a hole through for the fastener clip underneath which made them rip some more -- they have to be over 10 years old now but you can't buy the heavier thick rubber ones anymore so these will do. The 'FREESHIPPING' code is right on the main web page as a special for floor mats so they much have a bunch of these. Should be here before we get our first snow for sure -- let's see how they hold up!

Back