Winter Tires

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chump

Leaf newbie here. I just picked up a 2015 Leaf SL. It comes standard with 215/50R17

I'm looking at getting the Michelin Xi3 to stay sane during the winters in Toronto. Is there any issues with getting a size down? So that Xi3 - 205/55/R16 ?

I've read that a slightly downsized tire can actually be better in the snow, while also being a bit more affordable. Thoughts?

Whenever I look up tires that correspond with my model, SL, most sites only indicate to me R17 wheels. I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger that there won't be any issues with the R16 wheel. I assume it's the exact same engine/breaking system as the other trims so there shouldn't be an issue, but I just wanted to triple check.

Also is there a recommended basic steel wheel that fits the 2015 Nissan Leaf SL?

Thanks for any insights, much appreciated!

The 16-inch wheels and tires will work fine as long as you get wheels that fit. The LEAF has large brake calipers so the offset and shape of the back side of the wheels (amount of dish) prevent use of more common generic wheels. If you do not want to have the tire pressure monitor system in alarm, you will need sensors in the snow tire wheels and have the sensors paired to the car when you switch between summer and winter wheels. Tire shops will do it, but if you swap the wheels at home you will need the LEAF Spy Pro (see the CAN Bus section under Accessories for several threads with information).

Gerry

Note that the Leaf S already comes with 16 inch steelies, so there is already a set that is known to fit. If you want to go with alloys, the ones used in all 2011-2012 models, and 2013+ SV models, are also 16-inchers.

All Nissan/Infiniti 5-stud wheels have the same bolt pattern, & tend to have similar offsets, so they can often be used on different cars.

I currently use 16" alloys from a 2002-2006 Nissan Altima for my winter wheels. They are the exact same size & offset as the 16" Leaf alloys, and the front calipers just clear them.
IMG_20121221_082320.jpg

Also, the 16" wheels from a '95-'99 Nissan 240SX are the exact same size as well.
20111203_161319.jpg

Check craigslist for someone selling Nissan/Infiniti 5-lug wheels and see what you come across.

Simple rules for winter tires--
--Equal or greater weight capacity than original tires
--Equal outside diameter
--Narrower lets it cut through deep snow more easily
--If you change wheels, as mentioned, the wheel must fit over the brake calipers and have the same bolt pattern, wheel offset, etc.

Tirerack.com is a great resource. It shows the 205/55-16 as a suitable optional size replacing 215/50-17.

I put 205/55R16 Xi3's on my 2013 Leaf S about a month ago. Dropped my mileage a bit, but the 'grip' is astounding.

I got them from tirerack.com, premounted and balanced on the steel wheels they recommend for the leaf.

Swapped them myself easily.

chump said:
Thanks everyone

@woodgeek - was there a recommended wheel that goes with the Xi3?

Just ordered online....they rec'ced a steel wheel, I got it, it worked aok.

The quote just says: "16X6.5 New Steel Wheel Black Painted for 2013 Nissan Leaf S"

Back