Winter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asia93

I got my 2015 Leaf SV the end of April, so I have not experienced winter with the car yet. I have a short 14 mile round trip commute to work and tried to keep the battery charge at 50 to 70 percent for the summer. Is it better to charge it to 80% in the winter?

For your commute it's not necessary, but it might not be a bad idea to have that extra charge available if you need it. How cold does it get where you are located?

Normal lows are in the 20's in the winter. However, it sometimes gets below zero. Usually not for long though.

Much like the climate here, then. I suggest that whenever sub-freezing temps are expected, you charge to 80% or more. An occasional charge to 100% is actually good for the pack, especially in Winter when heat-related degradation isn't an issue. The heat pump in your SV will consume only modest amounts of power down to about 35F, then moderate amounts down to about 25F (as the resistance heater starts to supplement it) then below about 15F you will be using huge amounts of power when the heater is on. You will get a good idea of how much charge you need for your driving as Winter progresses, but it's better to have charge left over than to run out!

+1^ With a commute that short you really have nothing to worry about and lots of margin for error to learn how your car reacts to the cold. You can blast your heat like any other car if you like. In winter, I can still charge every other day (similar commute) and preheat unplugged with Carwings, no problem.

Asia93 said:
... I have a short 14 mile round trip commute to work and tried to keep the battery charge at 50 to 70 percent for the summer. Is it better to charge it to 80% in the winter?
When it is cold say less than 15F to 25F, charging to 100% will be a lot less trouble.

Your summer charging approach may slightly reduce capacity loss, but it is a lot of trouble.

Nissan thought it was OK to eliminate 80% charging.
Charge to 100% when it is cold.
Unlikely the capacity impact would be measurable.

Back