WSJ -"Why Repairing Your EV Is So Expensive"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The article is a bit misleading. Since Tesla is a dominant manufacturer that does not go out of its way to supply replacement parts to independent shops, a lot of the excessive cost and long repair time is related to their monopoly. The Rivian repair cost was high due to being so new that replacement parts are hard to get and their was hidden damage--new gas or diesel engine car models also have high crash repair expenses for the same reasons.

GerryAZ said:
The article is a bit misleading.
No kidding: the "anti-EV" sentiment has been gaining steam lately (in the WSJ). I actually responded to a couple of the comments/posts, but it's pretty obvious that people believe what they want to believe (if they don't own an EV). The question is: why are we still "here" after ~10 years of commercial production EVs??

As repair costs escalate, insurers seem to more quickly total vehicles for what previously could and would have been repaired. For example, I can only imagine that any crack in Tesla’s single castings would be an immediate total by any insurer. Sadly, this could lead to more and more newer vehicles in salvage yards as these expensive machines become more quickly disposable.

So we have two factors now almost ensuring shorter effective vehicle lifespans: costs to repair, and the rapid turnover of technology. Great for those who want and can afford the latest and greatest, not so good for others nor the planet.

These both are much less of a factor in my 1964 Thunderbird.

There may be some ignorance of EV's with insurance companies and repair shops as well. If I had the time I think it could open opportunities for arbitrage on fixing totaled EVs,

Case in point, my folks had their 2013 Leaf SV totaled by the insurance company (to the tune of $8500) after a front end collision. I saw the car parked before it was towed away and I'm 99% sure that the only problems were the front plastic bumper, the headlight and the charge port and charge port door. In other words, I'm 90% sure I could have repaired the car for about $500 in ebay parts with basic garage tools. But it was totaled and who knows where it went. They live in rural NE Iowa so there isn't a lot of EV expertise there which was also probably a factor.

I don't think the oil companies coach my EV hating friends/family. :)

I think some percentage of their disdain (the few that actually have disdain) is objecting to what they feel is unwarranted pressure to influence them. Especially financial.
The remainder is mostly just group speak. They wouldn't object so much if those that influence them didn't.

It's kind of funny that one on one they suddenly have the courage to be curious and ask questions.

I show them all mercy regardless. Mostly because I once was them. Lol

I don't think the oil companies coach my EV hating friends/family. :)

They are far too smart for that. They have Fox "News" for that, with their myriad flavors of RWC (Right Wing Crazy) programming. It isn't just the oil companies, though. Toyota has been pulling their weight promoting Hybrids, while deflecting pressure to build EVs with their perpetual talk (and grant seeking) of Hydrogen and Solid State Batteries, which are always just a few years away from the showrooms. Drive the Toyota of the Future! (If you have a time machine.)

Back